Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Labor Day Cooks

Options
Dobie
Dobie Posts: 3,364
Big BBQ weekend coming up, for some maybe last of the season. Im 365 in Florida bit still looking forward to it. What are you cooking? Me, two slabs of spares, burgers and sausage. What are you rollin out?
Jacksonville FL

Comments

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited August 2014
    Options
    It's funny you should ask. I was just starting to plan for it. Here's what Im thinking. jambalaya cooked in dutch oven on my LgBGE the day before and some jalapeno cornbread. Then we'll have a whole bunch of pork boudin and crawfish boudin on my med.BGE and six slabs of babybacks on the large. My wife will handle the potato salad and the must have cannolis for desert. Plus whatever the guests bring.
    * I do this year round down here. There is no season.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Saturday I am do doing a shrimp and crab boil, sunday will be crustless quiche for breakfast & turkey meatballs,homemade marinara over zuke noodles for supper with a mixed berry cobbler for desert. Monday thru Sunday still up in the air. Its vaca week so i hope to have an egg goin each day.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Dobie
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @TigerTony‌ I hear you man, we do too. Just figured everyone else started planning ahead also and wanted to see whats on the menu. Your cook sounds great. I picked up a dutch oven this weekend and looking forward the first cook with it also.
    Jacksonville FL
  • cajuncook
    Options
    What season? Football?
    Live on beautiful Lake Hartwell GA
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Making 2 slabs of spareribs.  Egg season is 365 here also.  I don't care that I might have to get through a foot or two of snow to get to it.  LOL
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I think I'm getting close to a final menu. 
    Our annual end of summer party is Friday night. Here's what I have so far. 
    Appetizers: 
    Brisket Egg Rolls 
    Individual Top your own mini pizzas 

Main: 
    Smoking a 8.5# chuckie for pulled beef 
    2 slabs of beef plate ribs

Sides:
    Beet Orange Salad
    Stuffed Sourdough Bread
    Some kind of Corn Dish
    Others that guests are bringing 

Dessert: 
    Smore Pies and Cones 
    Peach Dessert
    Others that guests are bringing 

Doing a test run on dough ball sizes tonight to figure how I want to divide the dough for the mini pizzas.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Dobie
    Options
    @DMW that looks like a nice spread you have there sir. Brisket egg rolls sound awesome.
    Jacksonville FL
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Not sure yet.  This is my last weekend that we will have time to do a long cook (3+ hours) so I want to make it good.  Kids sports start up next week and say goodbye to free time.  I'll be lucky to use the Egg once a month if at all after this weekend.

Could end up being a couple of pork butts or similar for freezing for future meals but I also want something REALLY good.

Garnerville, NY
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    I shovel whatever snow falls on the deck first! There isn't any "season" for grilling in my house!

We have family over on Sunday and will be doing a pork butt with grilled corn salad. Guest are bringing along some sides.

Not sure about Monday yet. If I can handle the hours I might try my first brisket overnight on Sunday into Monday.

photo 85D31E5E-7BC6-48C9-935A-C0469D4BFC30_zps24sgdxlm.jpg

Plus you have a built in beer cooler!
    photo B14339F8-7618-41EE-A0DD-0D5593F9CC41_zpsduk8uy4b.jpg

photo AAA63590-8B13-41B9-83E7-970699323160_zpsv8bxi8cs.jpg
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    17.4 lb prime brisket for me.  I don't have high hopes though as my brisket generally just turns out OK.  I am gonna keep at it though.
    XL BGE
  • Dobie
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @robnybbq I figured some of you guys up north might be getting close to the end of egging season.

@GeorgeS those are some cool pics. Some of you will find this funny but as a Florida native I have never seen snow......

@SPRIGS thats a big old brisky, make sure to post pics. I have not done brisket yet. I'm scared LOL. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Cymbaline65
    Options
    I'm thinking some 48 hour Sous Vide beef ribs. Haven't decided on the rest.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • apfroggy0408
    Options
    I'm thinking about picking up a brisket flat to do some burnt ends with.
    A zen powerlifter with a medium BGE.

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Dobie said:
    @robnybbq I figured some of you guys up north might be getting close to the end of egging season.

@GeorgeS those are some cool pics. Some of you will find this funny but as a Florida native I have never seen snow......

@SPRIGS thats a big old brisky, make sure to post pics. I have not done brisket yet. I'm scared LOL. 
    I just dont have the time.  The cold is not the end of the world to stop egging - Just dont have 2 consecutive hours to use it.  10 more years and maybe I'll have my time back.

Garnerville, NY
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    My weekend is starting Thurday this year and hope to egg every day.

Thursday: having people over for the kickoff of college football season. Going to do Moink balls, wings, and abts. Maybe some pig shots as well.

Friday: Dino Ribs. My inlaws are stopping in on their way to the beach. I'm thinking of doing some corn on the cobb and some grilled okra for sides.

Saturday: Some really nice waygu steaks I ordered for my wife's birthday.

Sunday: I'll probably do some chicken breasts for sandwiches for lunch time. Then I'll throw a butt on the grill for Monday.

Monday: Boston butt and more apps. Haven't gotten that far yet.

As far as a grilling season goes, it never gets below 40 degrees here. I'm 365!
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • DMW
    Options
    OK, my menu has been revised. Total in attendance is now 34. We did a trial run of small pizzas tonight and everything went well, but it became readily apparent that this would take way to long to have an assembly station setup for folks to top their own.

So my neighbor will bring a few pans of focaccia and we will cut it into appetizer size pieces.

The S'more cones worked great however, they remain on the menu.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Cymbaline65
    Options
    The natives have spoken: 48-hour Sous Vide beef ribs, pulled pork nachos to start. Hoping for some pizza thrown in to make it a junk food kinda weekend.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Rabidgoose
    Options
    @DMW: what is that apparatus in your last pic holding the cones?

thanks.....chuck
    LG BGE...PSWOOII-CI...PLATESETTER...THERMAPEN...MAVERICK-ET-733

Thumb MI
  • Dillonjm
    Dillonjm Posts: 229
    Options
    I was going to ask too. Those Smore Cones would be a hit for all the kids
    Backyard BBQ Dude
    1 L BGE - 1 Minimax - 1 Recteq

Northern VA
  • DMW
    Options
    @Rabidgoose @Dillonjm
    It is a Bayou Classic Chicken Leg/Wing rack. It looks like it is discontinued. Amazon still has it, but the price is crazy. There are other similar ones out there.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Rabidgoose
    Rabidgoose Posts: 40
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @DMW: @Dillonjm: I found this one that looks like the same thing....better price and prime free shipping.

The bride likes smores and always a hit with the grandkids.....ordering now  (HFH)

thanks again.....chuck
    LG BGE...PSWOOII-CI...PLATESETTER...THERMAPEN...MAVERICK-ET-733

Thumb MI
  • DMW
    edited August 2014
    Options
    OK, my menu is getting tighter.

Party Menu
    AppetizersBrisket Egg RollsShrimp Stuffed JalapenosFocaccia <---Being brought
    SaladsBeet Orange Salad <---Being broughtRaw Veggies or Green Salad <-----Being brought
    Main CourseBeef Short Plate RibsPulled Beef
    SidesStuffed Sourdough Bread <---Being broughtCorn Dish <----Being brought
    DessertS’more PiesS’more ConesPeach Dessert <---Being BroughtCucumber Lime Pops with Gin <----Made and in the freezerhttp://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/cucumber-lime-pops-with-gin
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Dobie
    Options
    Im up early this morning getting the CyberQ and the egg dialed in at 225 for my spareribs. Two racks, one with Bad Byron's, the other with a new rub I picked up recently, Curtis Grills Apple Wood Rub. The Curtis rub smells awesome. Got a large chunk of apple wood in the middle of a load of Ozark Oak, plate setter on foiled and the ribs in a rack. Time to relax with some coffee and start enjoying the day off. Eats are planned for around 1300. Got burgers and sausage going on a little later. Busting out my new dutch oven for some peach cobbler too, using the BGE recipe. Pics soon.
    Jacksonville FL
  • Dobie
    Options
    The egg security team on the job.
    Jacksonville FL
  • Dobie
    Options
    CyberQ dialed in controlling the pit
    Jacksonville FL
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I'm going with a spatchcock turkey this afternoon
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Dobie
    Options
    grege345 said:
    I'm going with a spatchcock turkey this afternoon

How big a bird? Post some pics and cook details, I'm very interested in turkey cooks with the holidays coming soon.
    Jacksonville FL
  • Dobie
    Options
    Two hours in and time for a spritz of apple juice and cider
    Jacksonville FL
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Smoked a couple of chuck roasts yesterday for pulled beef sammiches last night for dinner.  Getting ready to prep some moink balls for the labor day party this afternoon.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• pescadorzih
    Options
    Spatched a chicken with coffee rub yesterday. Planning on pizza today as long as the weather cooperates.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset