Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New owner here- What to cook first??

Options
After months of debating between the BGE or Primo, I wisely decided on a LBGE. Picked it up my Eggfest demo unit yesterday and am eager to get cooking. I've seen that pork butt and spatchcock chicken seem to recommended as a first cook. I do have the AR R&B oval combo which I'm itching to use. I'm also equipped with a Thermapen and Maverick 733. Any pros or cons of attempting a pork butt as my first smoke? Also any newbie lessons learned that I should watch out for?

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Lotsa people go with chicken first. Cheap. My first cook was thighs, the next night it was a spatchcock. If I just got an Egg today, I'd probably cook wings first. And tater tots. :D

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Cliff_Oo
    Cliff_Oo Posts: 21
    Options
    Welcome dude. I am a fairly new egger myself. As to any newbie lessons- just read this site. There is a ton of really good info from really knowledgeable members and they are usually friendly. Just start cooking. No matter what it is- cook it all 
    1 Medium BGE(for now)
    1 Charcoal Weber
    1 Wood burner
    Plans for much more......

Jackson - TN
  • ribmaster
    ribmaster Posts: 209
    Options

Burgers

steaks

wings

ribs

butt on a Saturday.

I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Woohoo! New myself to the egg. Pork butt is fun because it's forgiving and comes out awesome. Take pix and show us what you do!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Load it up w. lump.

Start a fire and just mess w. temperature setting via the vents for an hour or 2. Expect slow temperature changes. Don't let the Egg get hot, 450F+ for very long, or it will take an hour to cool.

Then try a spatch'd chicken. Remarkably easy to have good results.

Once you get the hand of temp control, you should be able to cook a large number of items to better than average quality.

Myself, I made a large mistake early on, and left the Egg untended for 7 - 10 minutes w. vents full open. Had a blue jet out the top, and almost solid beef charcoal for dinner.

There have been folks who jumped right into pork shoulders, even one or two who went right to briskets, and had success. Myself, took me about 6 mo.s to get temp control for long cooks down. Medium length cooks, like pork ribs, or beef back ribs, came out well.

• Egghead_Daron
    Options
    While I agree with @qdenby that an empty burn to learn temp control is the smartest, I didn't do that. I received the same advice when I got my Egg and jumped in anyway. I was too excited to cook nothing so I went pork butt. It was a good challenge at temp control and is a very forgiving cook to learn on. And it is some damn good eats with no seasoning, rubs, or anything added. Just my 2 cents.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I would start with what you know best.  Whatever you feel you make well on your previous BBQ, start with that and find out how it goes on the Egg.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• speleoegg
    Options
    After months of debating between the BGE or Primo, I wisely decided on a LBGE. Picked it up my Eggfest demo unit yesterday and am eager to get cooking. I've seen that pork butt and spatchcock chicken seem to recommended as a first cook. I do have the AR R&B oval combo which I'm itching to use. I'm also equipped with a Thermapen and Maverick 733. Any pros or cons of attempting a pork butt as my first smoke? Also any newbie lessons learned that I should watch out for?
    I'd put some grapeseed oil on the DFMT to season it and go for a spatchcock chicken.  Not sure if you have extender for the AR.  If you do 375F raised direct.  FIrst 20 min breast down, 30 min breast side up, 10 min breast down.  I'd run the egg for another 30 - 60 min to clean it out.  Then play with holding a temp.  That will make it easier for you to do a butt or shoulder.  Wrap the oblong stone with foil and get some plumbing T's or clay feet to suspend your drip pan when you do your low n slows.   

1 Large BGE, 1 Keg & 1 Joe Jr

Ajax, Ontario
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Whatever you decide to cook make sure you let the nastiness burn off before you add any food. Chicken will be ruined if you put on to quickly. Welcome and get a camera
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Welcome to the eggdiction. The pork butt is a good one, because it is a long cook and will help seat the gasket especially if you go low & slow. I did burgers and chicken, but I like doing meatloaf. It is easy, takes about an hour to cook and you will never want it any other way again after having it on the Egg. Its one of my favorites to cook. Just remember to keep your first two cooks at 400 or under. Good luck and have fun.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Here's a great reference site for all things ceramic.  Chances are the answer to any question will be in there somewhere.  And the directions for a spatchcock chix is in the recipe section.  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    welcome and have fun with your new best friend
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    You are now on the dark side never to return. 

I'd cook that which was your favorite thing to grill pre-egg. 

Be amazed at the difference. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    @TheDudesBrew Welcome to the Egging world, and enjoy the journey. I think you should start off with spatchcock chicken on your AR with a pan of veggies underneath. Good video of that cook on TastylicksBBQ. He does not use an AR but you will get the idea. That was my first cook and it rocked. I also brined  my chick, so I learned a lot on my first cook, and the food was great.

Then try St. Louis cut pork ribs. Both of these are easy cooks that taste great,fairly cheap, then move on to bigger stuff. Good luck brother!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Whenever I light the egg I wait 6 beers for the voc's to burn off... 30 minutes.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    henapple said:

Whenever I light the egg I wait 6 beers for the voc's to burn off... 30 minutes.

Tallboys or 40's?

Little Rock, AR

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    It's not a 40...it a "fawty"...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • OmahaOne
    OmahaOne Posts: 154
    Options
    Which Eggfest did you go to? I was at the Indy Eggfest this weekend.
    XL BGE - Indianapolis, IN
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Welcome. L&S a Butt or Brisky. Either one you'll be happy. Although a Butt is far more forgiving IMHO.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • TheDudesBrew
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback! Looks like I'll go with spatchcock. @OmahaOne I was also at Sullivans Indy EggFest. It was a bit hot out, but worth it.
  • Dillonjm
    Dillonjm Posts: 229
    Options
    Good luck bro! Spatchcock is easier than I ever thought and it comes out great.
    Backyard BBQ Dude
    1 L BGE - 1 Minimax - 1 Recteq

Northern VA
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Options
    Welcome to the circus.  Spatchcock is a great selection.  Remember, if there are no pics, it didn't happen.
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Welcome to the forum and enjoy your great LBGE!!
  • victor1
    victor1 Posts: 225
    Options
    I'm very new also, but have had very good success.Temp control is a challenge, but getting there.  My first attempt was whole chicken.  I did two of them, indirect at about 350 degrees.  Pulled them at about two hours, till golden brown. Internal temp (breast)  was about 170.  Best chicken I've ever done.  Also have done prime rib, bbq ribs, chicken pieces, baked potatoes, corn on the cob and pork chops. It just gets better.   Also glad I went with the BGE rather then something else.
  • grey_bri
    grey_bri Posts: 46
    Options
    DO THE PORK!! Go big or go home! Very easy to doget her goin open bottom about 3/4 to 1 inch top daisy about 1/4 or so open and wait for temp around 225 or little more . Once it's there it will stay I find and u can sleep.
    Owen Sound On. For now 1large 2mini's 1exl and 1 6burner Vermont Casting
  • Texansurf
    Texansurf Posts: 507
    Options
    What to cook first ....EVERYTHING.  Disadvantage of the Butt first...waiting to try it!!!
    Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Welcome! +1 for spatchcock chicken - it's simple, easy, and will show you what a difference the egg can make. I do 400, raised direct. After that, a butt/shoulder. - extremely forgiving and will demonstrate keeping the low and slow temp stable for a long period. Whatever you decide, you're going to love it!
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • CapnKirk
    CapnKirk Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm a 3-week Egger....1st weekend was a pot-pouri of meat...whole chicken busted down the back and spread...added a couple Costco filets that I cut into 3rds...and some sausages...Biggest mistake was not haveing a meat thermometer....Chicken was a little dry but OK...strictly a timing issue as i've got a pretty good handle on the vents and temps.....last week jumped into St Louis Ribs cooked vertically (once again the dummy didn't get a thermometer and overcooked em a bit....(I'll get this down) ....just ordered a Maverick 722 which Amazion will deliver today....The wifes gonna be gone with girlfriends so i'm jumping on a brisket with my new thermometer...Good luck welcomed!!!
  • TheDudesBrew
    Options
    One more question... Since my egg was used all day at Eggfest, is it safe to get the temps high enough to cook a pizza?