Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Max...Franken Egg...Mini Max Joe jr.

Photo Egg
Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
edited August 2014 in EggHead Forum

Played with a few ideas over the last year to help make my Small BGEs better for my needs.
I have made mods to the standard firebox, purchased Hi Que fire grate, put spacers under the stock firebox and even made some mods to a Medium BGE firebox to make it fit the Small. Some worked better than others. The Modified Medium firebox worked the best but took some time to cut and miss cutting or breaking it is a risk.

A couple weeks ago I purchased a Kamado Joe Jr. The price was to good to pass up. Last night I took the firebox and ring out of the Jr and compared it to my Small BGE parts. The KJ Jr parts were a little larger in diameter but made a perfect fit in the Small BGE. Still enough room to allow expansion when heated. I know the molding process is not perfect and there is no way to know if this will hold true with your Small Egg.
The KJ Jr firebox is designed with a larger lump grate and larger air intake hole. Because of this it also has more room for ash. These were some of my issues with the stock BGE firebox. 
I did some test cooking last night and it worked fantastic. I also swapped out the KJ Jr lump grate and dropped in the lump grate from my Large BGE.
This really made it a grilling machine.
I only filled to the top of the firebox and I used some of the Williams Sonoma Coconut lump. Honestly, the lump is far from great stuff and I will try with OO or some other good lump next weekend.
Cooked chicken and sausage on the raised Woo at 300. The fire was very even with less hot spots. Temp was easy to control and when I needed to sear the temps jumped from 300 to 550 in just a couple minutes. I even got a flash back a couple times...never had the power in the Small to make that happen before.
Really reacted and cooked like a cross between my XL and Large. I made my test cooks with the KJ Jr box and fire ring but all you really need is the firebox as the BGE Small fire ring will work over the KJ box just fine.

I believe this step child will cook very similar to the new Mini Max but retain the taller stance and larger capacity of the Small BGE. If you have a KJ Dealer local they might be able to order you a Firebox. Fred's BBQ on the web is my next call as they seem to always have a good stock of everything.
Hope you enjoy this information as I'm very happy with the results.
My next post will be a steak and a rack of lamp pops also cooked last night.

Thank you...

Thank you,
Darian

Galveston Texas

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Very interesting, Darian! Thanks for the eggperimenting! I happen to be one of the lucky owners who can get my small up to inferno temperatures, but I know that we're in the minority here.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    edited August 2014
    Why not just use the KJ Jr? It's quite a grilling machine right out of the box. I mean making two grills into one and then comparing the (pricey) result to one that no one's actually got their hands on and actually cooked with yet when you already have the Jr. seems like much ado about nothing. Is there something about the KJ Jr. you dont like, or is it just that it isnt a BGE? I'm just curious...its really just about the food for me.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • Photo Egg
    RRP said:
    Very interesting, Darian! Thanks for the eggperimenting! I happen to be one of the lucky owners who can get my small up to inferno temperatures, but I know that we're in the minority here.
    Thanks Ron. I can normally get my Small Eggs blazing pretty well but it does take longer and some poking most of the time compared to my other Eggs. This seems to level the playing field.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Gogogordy said:
    Why not just use the KJ Jr? It's quite a grilling machine right out of the box. I mean making two grills into one and then comparing the (pricey) result to one that no one's actually got their hands on and actually cooked with yet when you already have the Jr. seems like much ado about nothing. Is there something about the KJ Jr. you dont like, or is it just that it isnt a BGE? I'm just curious...its really just about the food for me.
    I'm sorry you don't understand Gogogordy.

I have seen many posts and talked to many Eggers in the past who have issues with their Small BGEs and wish they would react more like the Large. If dropping in a replacement firebox helps improve their Small then GREAT. 

Agree, the KJ Jr. is a great cooker out of the box. I find nothing wrong with it and will continue to cook with with my KJ. I also have a KJ Big Joe to go with my BGE XL. The point is to possibly help others that already own a Small BGE. This test cost me nothing...I own and cook on MANY types of grills because to me it's about learning, experiencing and adapting to all types of cooking and food.

To many Small BGE owners thinking of selling their Small to buy a Mini Max or another size Egg,
    buying a new firebox compared to the money loss of selling their Egg could be a bargain.

Again, sorry I confused you.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited August 2014
    Thanks for sharing the info. I'd interpret this to mean the Mini-Max will have significantly improved airflow over a stock Small with a similar firebox and charcoal grate. I initially had concerns over them using the same lower vent but had been told it was fine and your research/mod seems to confirm this.

Nice plate of lamb! Happy Anniversary.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Photo Egg
    R2Egg2Q said:
    Thanks for sharing the info. I'd interpret this to mean the Mini-Max will have significantly improved airflow over a stock Small with a similar firebox and charcoal grate. I initially had concerns over them using the same lower vent but had been told it was fine and your research/mod seems to confirm this.

Nice plate of lamb! Happy Anniversary.
    Thank you.
    Would be nice to have a slightly larger lower vent if for no other reason than making clean out easier. But the larger lower air intake in the KJ Jr firebox and larger diameter area for larger lump grate made a vast improvement. The Mini Max should operate similar, just with less vertical room for lump and raised grids and such.
    Take care, really enjoy your past posts.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Thanks for the work my friend.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    Personally I find this very interesting!  I constantly find myself cursing the firebox design in the small. I wonder if a High-Que for the large will fit this firebox.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Gogogordy
    Photo Egg said:
    Gogogordy said:

I have seen many posts and talked to many Eggers in the past who have issues with their Small BGEs and wish they would react more like the Large. If dropping in a replacement firebox helps improve their Small then GREAT. 

Agree, the KJ Jr. is a great cooker out of the box. I find nothing wrong with it and will continue to cook with with my KJ. I also have a KJ Big Joe to go with my BGE XL. The point is to possibly help others that already own a Small BGE. This test cost me nothing...I own and cook on MANY types of grills because to me it's about learning, experiencing and adapting to all types of cooking and food.

To many Small BGE owners thinking of selling their Small to buy a Mini Max or another size Egg,
    buying a new firebox compared to the money loss of selling their Egg could be a bargain.

Not confused, but seems like a lot of effort and expense spent on "improving" and accessorizing the BGE (on many posts, not just yours) and inasmuch as I like to tinker too, I also enjoy a well designed, well equipped product that I can use successfully right from jumpstreet. The thing that I don't get is using the MiniMax as the de facto standard for performance in this category, when there is already a damned good, super well -equipped unit available and in-use-now which in my estimation needs NOTHING additional but a 12" pizza stone. I also have a BGE and have been super-delighted with it but Ive only added a couple of accesssories (pizza stone, CI grill, swing rack) so maybe Im none too sophisticated in all things "kamado" for not modifying things, but hey I turn out some darned good grub on them all just the way I got them. I guess, the food is my litmus test, and my kamados all pass.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • Photo Egg
    Gogogordy said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Gogogordy said:

Not confused, but seems like a lot of effort and expense spent on "improving" and accessorizing the BGE (on many posts, not just yours) and inasmuch as I like to tinker too, I also enjoy a well designed, well equipped product that I can use successfully right from jumpstreet. The thing that I don't get is using the MiniMax as the de facto standard for performance in this category, when there is already a damned good, super well -equipped unit available and in-use-now which in my estimation needs NOTHING additional but a 12" pizza stone. I also have a BGE and have been super-delighted with it but Ive only added a couple of accesssories (pizza stone, CI grill, swing rack) so maybe Im none too sophisticated in all things "kamado" for not modifying things, but hey I turn out some darned good grub on them all just the way I got them. I guess, the food is my litmus test, and my kamados all pass.
    Sorry you are still confused and can not follow the information. You can always choose to ignore and not jump in if you don't find this information useful as you may not own a Small BGE and have no reference for input. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
     Thatgrimguy...I bet the High-Que for the large would fit fine in the KJ Jr firebox and give even better airflow. One thing I have yet to buy for my Large BGE.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Gogogordy
    Not confused, If the small isnt doing the job you want, AND you've already purchased the KJ Jr, why not just use the Jr? That's the part I don't get (and pre-predicting that your hybrid will cook like the upcoming MiniMax but retain the stance of the small) Not trying to rain on your parade, just curious.
  • Photo Egg
     Gogogordy...I'm sorry this is so troubling for you. I remember reading many of your past comments so I know further explanation will be a waste of my time.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited August 2014
    I'm looking up prices of the Joe Jr firebox. which is the point @gogogordy  For others' who already have an egg (or those that like the vertical space the small egg gives you and the airflow of a joe jr.

You don't have to buy the whole joe jr to get the firebox. I'm just claiming i bought one used and that part is broken so I can order it independently to use with my small green egg that I already own but do get a little frustrated with (mostly because I use it daily so I am always cleaning ash out of the tiny little ash area in the small)
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Photo Egg
    Thatgrimguy..."mostly because I use it daily so I am always cleaning ash out of the tiny little ash area in the small"   that is a pain. I can go several cooks on my XL and Large before having to deal with ash. The ash drop zone is very small in the Small firebox.
    I'm sure dealer pricing on the firebox will vary just like the grills. Hope you find a good price.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Why isn't this thread bumping to the top of the page with new replies?
  • Thatgrimguy
    Admin's probably don't want us doing this to our eggs so they are burying it @Sundelviledegg  
  • Thatgrimguy
    Photo Egg said:
    Thatgrimguy..."mostly because I use it daily so I am always cleaning ash out of the tiny little ash area in the small"   that is a pain. I can go several cooks on my XL and Large before having to deal with ash. The ash drop zone is very small in the Small firebox.
    I'm sure dealer pricing on the firebox will vary just like the grills. Hope you find a good price.
    @photoegg  I agree. On my XL, it's so easy to scrape out and to stir that I don't have the same issue at all. Hopefully they will just help me get it like it's a warranty part, with minimal or no markup.
  • Photo Egg
    I just tried to leave a thank you comment on my other post for all the nice words.
    A bubble popped up saying my post was going to review and never showed up.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    edited August 2014
    Great tip.  I noticed my small firebox is much smaller than it seems it could be.  A bigger box would be a welcome change.  Is there any height different between the BGE box/ring and the KJ box/ring?
  • Could you see if your small spark screen will fit the Jr?
    Gittin' there...
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438

For all of you waiting for the MinMax and itching to look at The Joe Jr., here's Costco Kamado Joe schedule...

http://www.costco.com/kamado-joe-schedule.html

(Wonder if I'll be banned from the forum for this...)

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• Photo Egg
    SmyrnaGA said:

For all of you waiting for the MinMax and itching to look at The Joe Jr., here's Costco Kamado Joe schedule...

http://www.costco.com/kamado-joe-schedule.html

(Wonder if I'll be banned from the forum for this...)

Not banned but they have disabled the "bumb" so this will never move to the top with a new comment. lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas