Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

posting links

Eggpharmer
Eggpharmer Posts: 479
edited August 2014 in Off Topic
I thought the purpose of this forum was to post recipes...not link to a personal blog...bs if you ask me.
Austin, TX

Comments

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    This is a cooking community. Some of us are here not only to learn and share but to laugh with others in similar life situations. We all need to do a better job of putting OT (off topic) for non- cooking posts. Thank you for doing so Eggpharm. So my unsolicited advice is to not click any links and ignore OTs.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Eggpharmer
    Eggpharmer Posts: 479
    I've got no problem with the joking and other extra comments and stuff, hell that's half the reason I read this place...just didn't like someone posting a cook then telling everyone who asked for the recipe to go see his or her personal blog.
    Austin, TX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    You seem a little tense. There are two forums like this and sorry but both about the same. Was it @henapple‌ that ask you about the bs level?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Not sure I understand your issue. Many people on here also have their own blogs where they will fully document their cooks and reference them here. I have absolutely no issue with them posting a link to the recipe so I can see a more in-depth description. And one side benefit to me is finding great blogs like @griffin and @NecessaryIndulg‌ among others. Is his any different than me linking to a recipe on Food Network or Epicurious if that is where they found it?
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I can't imagine having a problem with someone posting a link to a recipe in this way.  He's sharing a recipe.  There are others that do the same and to chase them away or wag your finger at them because they link to their own blog is silly to me.

If the link opened up a bunch of popup windows trying to sell me something or asked me to log in to harvest info on me, I would agree with you, but the link goes right to the one recipe.  Let it go and don't look next time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    No problem here, but what I thought was going to be the complaint was what happens to me. When someone asks a question about where to buy something then when I reply with the link then I get that Vanilla message that says "your post will appear after it has been reviewed" or something like that and of course it never does! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I can't imagine having to re-type everything into the forum page. A link is so much easier. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I can't imagine having to re-type everything into the forum page. A link is so much easier. 
    no need to re-type - just copy and paste is what I do from my saved files - easily done!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    I like the links provided by bloggers - self indulgent or not. Those that have their act together will often post a couple of pics that are internet friendly at less than 1mb in size. If you want more pics, visit their blogs where the 3.5mb and greater pics suitable to blow up into 24"X36" poster are. 

Some pic heavy posts are loaded with huge pics, why? Many are viewed on mobile devices or at best a 16" monitor....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I'm sorry @henapple I'll make sure to do that next time. =))

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    @Griffin Slow Day?
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Griffin
    Ehh...slowing down @Hotch. Came in, worked hard, got a ton of stuff done. Not much left to do the rest of the day 'cept leave some comments here.

Rowlett, Texas

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Yep, me to @Griffin. Getting ready for end of the year push.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I'm not popular enough to have a blog :)). I DO post my cooks on my FB profile that's it. But, personally I prefer this forum and one other for my time VS FB. This is a fun community IMHO.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I'm not popular enough to have a blog :)).
    Yes you are. For some reason you will forever be known to me as "Brother Husker". That name has stuck. I think we know who is responsible for that! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • NPHuskerFL
    @johnkitchens‌ thanks. :)) yep that "has the @SGH‌ seal of approval" ;-)

One last thing. I will give credit where credit is due...meaning if I got the recipe from xyz I give them credit for it (it's only right). But, how hard is it really to give your prep, egg set-up temp, IT temp, ingredients etc. I don't see the dilemma in sharing this info. Unless you are trying to plagiarize & claim it as your own...I'm just saying that's all. I personally find it fun trying new methods, prep, recipes etc. I also go to my old...very old family recipes. And I'll share those as well. To me that's what it's all about.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • johnkitchens
    I agree @NPHuskerFL. It isn't a big deal to me. I love looking at some of the blogs. One day I looked at Village Idiot's page and was blown away by what Gary was able to do. 

He had posted some of it here, but there was a ton of stuff on his site that wasn't here, and I would have never seen it if hadn't of looked. So my opinion is don't look if you don't want to! 

• Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    edited August 2014
    To me it matters not if you post it here or I click through to your blog. There is a lot of interesting egged food out there and I like to look at it all. My wife has a blog she just started and I have a added a few cooks, it seems like a nice place to record what I am doing for reference like Griffin mentioned and share with the masses. Big Green Craig got a good ribbing by some over a post just trying to sell t-shirts but I will still click through to his blog, his cooks are interesting.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

Yes you are. For some reason you will forever be known to me as "Brother Husker". That name has stuck. I think we know who is responsible for that! 

I like "mother husker"...it's half right. =))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • NPHuskerFL
    henapple said:

I like "mother husker"...it's half right. =))

Nope Mother Husker is for my wife HuskerMaMa B-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Check out my blog at...nakedbaconhennapple.youarejealous.yourwifehitsmyblog.admitititshot.com.edu.org.blogspot.eatme.pig
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I just made something EPIC on my BIG GREEN EGG!!!!!

Check it out on my FaceBook Page!!!!

<div id="fb-root"></div> <script>(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script>

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DMW
    Huh, that didn't work.  :-B
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    I thought about doing videos instead of pics. Just to do something different . I would probably link them through YouTube.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • johnkitchens
    hapster said:
    what's all the fuss about?
    I am not sure either. 

• DMW
    hapster said:
    what's all the fuss about?
    I am not sure either. 
    I don't know either, but I thought I'd contribute to said fuss. :D
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Griffin
    Smokinpig said:
    To me it matters not if you post it here or I click through to your blog. There is a lot of interesting egged food out there and I like to look at it all. My wife has a blog she just started and I have a added a few cooks, it seems like a nice place to record what I am doing for reference like Griffin mentioned and share with the masses. Big Green Craig got a good ribbing by some over a post just trying to sell t-shirts but I will still click through to his blog, his cooks are interesting.

What's your wife's blog? I try to find all the blogs I can that mention BGE and check them out. Maybe I've found it already and don't know that its hers.

Rowlett, Texas