Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hickory Kissed Beef Ribs

Options
Saturday was hot and steamy, not in a good way either. Didn't want any additional heat in the house so went freezer diving and found a package of beef spar ribs. Coated with olive oil and then a mix of salt, pepper, sugar, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder and onion. Let the ribs sat on the counter while the egg was heating up and the seasoning was liquifing. Put on the egg indirect at 275 with a couple chunks of hickory and didn't touch it.

Nice marbling

Getting Happy!

Meanwhile fired up the small to boil about 4-5 dozen ears of sweet corn to par boil then into bags and freezer for winter.

Checked the ribs after 4 hours to see how they were coming along.

Temperature was 197 and tender. Decided to sauce a couple and leave 2 naked. Shut down the egg and left them for 30 minutes while we got sweet corn casserole cooking and some tator skin chips.

Money Shot

Cross section

Tasted very similar to burnt ends and were very tender and moist. Definitely no sauce next time. Ugly plated pic but here it is.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Freezer diving-found the treasure.  Great cook-beef ribs beat pork ribs any day of the week!  Looks mighty tasty!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    @lousubcap‌ thanks, not sure you can compare the two as I like both a lot.

NW IA

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Nice looking ribs and funny platter in your first pic!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @R2Egg2Q thanks, always try to avoid the second

NW IA

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Awesome. I am drooling over here.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Those look great. Dat cross section pic!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    @pgprescott‌ Thanks

@SmokeyPitt‌ Thanks, me too!

NW IA

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Freezing corn for the winter? Oh you Iowans and your corn! I have to ask....how is it after it's been frozen?

Ribs look killer....as always
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    @ Brisket_fanatic Looks good, loved the plate.  You have to love digging in the freezer and coming up with a meal like that.
    @weberwho  My wife freezes corn every couple of years.  The texture on the corn is a little softer than canned but it can't be beat for taste.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Nice! I like using the small as a boiler. I need to try that.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Great looking ribs
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    @jcaspary‌ thank you for the explanation. The corn we can find here during the off season isn't very good. We just picked up a deep freezer a few weeks ago. I might have to give this a try.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @WeberWho? - Thanks - the trick is to only cook it about half way before cutting it off the ears and putting in freezer bags. I do not notice much difference after it has been frozen as we reheat it in the bags as well. I am personally not a big plain corn fan so it was the wifes project. She ended up with about 19 quart bags full of sweet corn.

NW IA

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Just asking, why not grill the corn to store? Nice rib cook.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Egghead_Daron
    Options
    Frozen sweet corn beats the crap in a can or freezer at grocery any day!

And those ribs look great! Sides too.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options

@jcaspary - Thanks

@DMW - It workded ok but had a tough time getting the pot to boil and stay boiling. It took all afternoon and reloaded the charcoal part way through as it was running wide open the entire time.

@tulocay - Thanks

NW IA

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    @Mickey - I am sure that would work as well but the wife prefers corn boiled on the cob. She likes grilled corn, we brush it with oil, dust it with garlic and grill, but not all the time.

NW IA

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    @Egghead_Daron - Amen!

NW IA

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I REALLY miss Iowa sweet corn!

Those ribs look deelish. Could you share the corn casserole recipe... pretty please?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • speleoegg
    Options
    Impressive - beautiful cook!

1 Large BGE, 1 Keg & 1 Joe Jr

Ajax, Ontario
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    @caliking‌ Thanks - recipe is for a 9x9 stone pan. 1 can cream corn, 1 can drained regular corn (used equivalent sweet corn par boiled), 1 box jiffy cornbread mix, 1 egg and then a stick of butter placed on top equally spaced after the other stuff is blended and placed in the pan.

NW IA

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    @speleoegg‌ - Thanks

NW IA

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    @lousubcap‌ thanks, not sure you can compare the two as I like both a lot.
    Gotta say ditto.  I love both pork & beef ribs.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

At first I thought you were joking about boiling the corn on the Egg. You really gotta get a outside burner (like a turkey fryer) for that. Also works great for shrimp boils, crawfish boils and my favorite...Making BEER!!

Dem beef ribs look outstanding. =D>

I used to have a pint glass that said taht same thing. Even the letters were the same. Musta been from the same company.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    @Griffin‌ Thanks, a turkey fryer would be easier. It worked out OK, boys played outside so no big deal. I have a camp burner I was going to use but thought this would work.

NW IA

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options

@DMW - It workded ok but had a tough time getting the pot to boil and stay boiling. It took all afternoon and reloaded the charcoal part way through as it was running wide open the entire time.

The ribs looked great - one of my favorite cooks.

One suggestion for processing corn.  We use the microwave since boiling a big pot of water takes way too long on the egg or stove.  We put as many ears of corn in the microwave that will fit and then nuke them for 1 minute per ear. The turn them 1/2 way and nuke again for 1 minute per ear.  Remove and process your usual way (we dump in ice water then peel and remove the corn and freeze).  If you have several people helping, you can make this an easy assembly line to get the corn processed fairly quickly.

By the way, we cook our corn that way for immediate eating also except that we use 2 minutes per ear.  This number can be adjusted slightly based on the power of your particular micorwave oven.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Cymbaline65
    Options

Dig! Beautimus.

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    @Shiff‌ Thanks for the tip

NW IA

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options

NW IA