Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket Issue/Question

Options
Just recently replaced my gasket and used one my dad brought me home from work that is used on boilers and used the 3M Super 77. Tonight I was making pizza and thought my gasket looked loose when I opened the top it came completely off the top. The bottom is still on but is loose as the adhesive is no longer sticking. Anyone have that issue with the Super 77?
Alexandria, KY

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    How long did it set? That stuff is almost impossible to get off. Great adhesive. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Big50‌
    Just for the record, here is the best gasket adhesive that you can use on your egg. No question of it my friend.image

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I have tested the above in excess of 1300 degrees. It didn't even blink.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    How long did it set? That stuff is almost impossible to get off. Great adhesive. 
    x2.  However I found I failed to spray enough the first time I used it.  You need to spray it heavy on both the egg and the gasket.  
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Cowdogs said:
    x2.  However I found I failed to spray enough the first time I used it.  You need to spray it heavy on both the egg and the gasket.  
    Yep - use it per the instructions and it will work just fine. The issue I have with Ultra Copper (never used it on an egg but have used it on engine exhaust) is if you put on too much, it is almost impossible to get it off. Permatex is meant to be a gasket, it works just fine to stick one, but it is meant to actually be a gasket. 77 is meant to stick gaskets. 
    When you spray 77 make sur eyou mask all not to be sprayed surfaces. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Big50
    Big50 Posts: 39
    Options
    Think I didn't use enough...I let it sit 48 hours and had several low temp cooks before doing pizza...gonna go no gasket for a tri tip tonight and then reapply gasket tomorrow evening...thanks for the tips!!!
    Alexandria, KY
  • GatoGordo
    Options
    I had the same problem, the first time. I put on my nomex gasket and it just fell off within a few months. For my second attempt, I sprayed a heavy layer on both the gasket and the egg and it has been on for years now.
    LBGE, Stoker WiFi, UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker