Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm helping a newbie....

Options
What are some suggestions you'd give to help him out? I told him about pizza n his 3 boys were fanatical about them! He's also done ribs! But what are some basics that I'm forgetting to tell him about??? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    And here it comes:

Little Rock, AR

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother the choices are almost endless. Here are a few excellent and easy ones.
    Pork loin.
    Meatloaf.
    Steaks.
    Pork Chops.
    Pork Shoulder (Whole)
    Beef Back Ribs.
    All are simple and outstanding.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    And here it comes:

What?
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    Options
    Salmon and shrimp are both easy and par excellent as well. How did I leave them off the above list. I'm slipping my friends.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• OmahaOne
    OmahaOne Posts: 154
    Options
    SGH said:
    Salmon and shrimp are both easy and par excellent as well. How did I leave them off the above list. I'm slipping my friends.
    Chicken too. Don't forget about the endless ways to fix chicken...
    XL BGE - Indianapolis, IN
  • SGH
    Options
    @OmahaOne‌
    You are correct my friend. Chicken for sure. I'm really slipping.

Status- Standing by.

• WoodChuck
    Options
    Excellent suggestions, all! How about set ups, or gadgets, or anything els I'm missing?
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Brisket my friend.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• berndcrisp
    Options
    Bro, burgers are good.

• SGH
    Options
    If he already has the plate setter the Woo is a great choice.

Status- Standing by.

• berndcrisp
    Options
    Smoking a turkey is always a great cook my friend.

• berndcrisp
    Options
    Grilled fruit and vegetables freaking rock dude.

• WoodChuck
    Options
    So my last post I think was in 2007! That is what I LOVE about this forum, 7 years ago I'm on here, now 7 years later n I ask for some help for a fellow egghead, and look at you guys!!! WOW!!! This is th best! Thank you one and all!! Chuck ;D
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I did something like this a couple years ago, but here goes again: Cook to temp, not time. When doing pork butt, fat cap goes up. When doing pork butt, fat cap goes down. Trim all the fat off. Wait til the smoke smells good. Use paper towels soaked in oil to light your lump. Use starter cubes to light. Use a Mapp torch. Use an electric starter to light. Use lighter fluid (just kidding). Rockwood is the best lump. Ozark is the best lump. WGWW is great. All lump is made by Royal Oak. A Low and Slow for 24 hours uses less lump than a one hour pizza cook. You will find rocks and other crap in all types of lump. Wood chips are better than chunks. Wood chunks are better than chips. You do NOT need to soak smoking wood. Chunks or chips, use the same amount of wood. Remember to burp your Egg. You absolutely need a Thermopen. Learn to cook with out a controller before you get one. A Maverick can be your best friend during an overnight cook if you don't use a controller. If the cook is done early, FTC is your best friend. If you don't post Pics the cook didn't happen.m Learn to take pictures like @hapster‌. When you can't get your temp up, it is most likely an air flow issue. Brisket is done when the temp probe goes in like buttah. Don't overcook seafood. Stuff a pork loin. SPATCHCOCK a chicken (or a turkey). Baltimore Pit Beef is a great cook. Don't be afraid to do dessert on the Egg - Apple pie baked inside an apple and @‌griffin pineapple upside down cake are favorites. Dutch Oven cobblers are great for dessert. Burp your Egg. Learn how to make good pizza - thin crust, NY style, Pan, Chicago Deep Dish, Detroit style. Lots of amazing appetizers out there. Cook up some wings. To cook corn, throw the cob direct on the Egg for about 20 minutes. Cut the fat end and squeeze the cob out of the husk. Breakfast is great on the egg -don't forget the Mimosa's. CAVEMAN style rocks. Don't spill bacon grease into a hot Egg. Go to an Eggfest.m Remember to burp your Egg. You will forget to burp and lose arm hair. The warranty is amazing and easy to claim if you crack an Egg.m Let the Egg stay hot for a bit after cooking to burn off excess food and prevent mold. Burgers are hard to master on the Egg, but once you figure it out you will never go back to others. Raised direct works for a lot of cooks.m You can use an AR, Woo, a Spider, Beer cans, 4inch bolts and many other ways to raise the grid. Don't set a drip pan direct on the Platesetter - use spacers (Egg feet, pennies, plumber tees, foil balls). Plate setters get hot -get a good set of gloves. Gaskets are optional. You will at some point burn up the original gasket. If you want a good replacement gasket, contact @RRP‌ . If you have a question, ask the forum. Cook at an Eggfest. There are many ways to successfully cook on an Egg. You can cook in any weather. Remember to burp your Egg. You will spend more on Eggcessories than you did on your Egg. Don't set fire to your wood table.m Convince SWMBO that you need to sit on the patio and keep an eye on the cook. Alcohol is usually involved. If you can't get PBR or Tito's, most anything will do.m All said and done, it's an art, not a science, and it's flawed. Try it and you may find it works.
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Even disaster cooks are learning experiences and can be morphed into something else.  Don't ever give up on something that failed.  You will get it right.  Ask for help.  People are always willing to help.  
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Just tell him to get signed up here!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Spatchcock
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    JethroVA said:

Spatchcock

There it is. But honestly, I'm disappointed. I figured on AT LEAST 14 spatchcock chicken posts. You folks are slipping.

Little Rock, AR