Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dinner tonight: rack of lamb

Options
ChillyWillis
ChillyWillis Posts: 893
I've been wanting to try a rack of lamb on the egg for a while.... Tonight's the night! SWMBO has never had lamb before, so I'm hoping I knock it out of the park and she likes it.

The lamb is rubbed down with EVOO and sprinkled with SPOG, thyme, rosemary, and garlic.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like a winner all ready !

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    Looks great, can't wait to see some final product pics.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I need to stop looking at the forum. I'm less than half way into a cross country flight and there is no way I'm paying money for the crap food they have on here.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    She will love Lamb..Good luck.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    A very tasty looking cook to me....
  • ChillyWillis
    edited August 2014
    Options
    On the egg at 375. I'm going to bring it up to 115 IT then hit it with a quick reverse sear.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited August 2014
    Options
    It looks like a great recipe.  When I made lamb my wife broke it too me in the nicest way possible:

That is the best lamb I have tried...but I still don't like lamb ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SGH
    Options
    Impressive sir! Looks excellent to say the least. Solid cook my friend. Enjoy.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• ChillyWillis
    Options
    @SGH‌ thanks for the kind words my friend
  • tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options
    Now that looks amazing. How much do one of those racks sell for?
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    Yes Yes Yes..Out the park..
    =D>
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • ChillyWillis
    edited August 2014
    Options
    This one was $15 from my butcher. I was surprised to see it at such a reasonable price but I'm not complaining! :-bd
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    So . . . Lamb, rack of, is eaten medium rare?
  • ChillyWillis
    Options
    @SteveWPBFL‌ I cooked this rack rare (I like my meat bloody ;) ) but most folks go medium rare with lamb. I would hesitate to take a rack of lamb above 140 IT because you would lose all of the juice and flavor IMHO.
  • SGH
    Options
    Brother Chilly that is spot on in my book. I love rare lamb. The food looks magnificent to say the least. Solid cook all around my friend. Nicely executed! =D>

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Brother every time I look at the lamb it just looks better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better. Ok it looks great! That is nice man.

Status- Standing by.

• ChillyWillis
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @SGH‌ you are too kind my brother. I was very happy with the way it came out as well. I think I actually would have undercooked the rack if I'd pulled off the cook as expected. My IT reading with the thermapen was much higher than the actual temps (because I took the temp from the top down as opposed to from the side in). Luckily when I was resting the meat waiting for the egg to get to searing temps I touched the meat with my finger and could tell I messed up.

With the slightly under cooked meat and the hotter than expected temps due to the OO temp spike we discussed in the other thread I got an AMAZING sear and the perfect rare lamb center. Sometimes adjusting on the fly and rolling with the punches provides the best results!

The consistency of the sear and interior temp reminded me of my only sous vide cook.

And typing that last sentence has me thinking about rack of lamb sous vide recipes.......
  • SGH
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @ChillyWillis‌
    If you would have undercooked it a hair it still would have not been a issue at all. Lamb is excellent when served very rare. Also lamb is very forgiving. When you went to eat if the lamb would have been discovered to be to rare at this point and time it could have been placed back on the grid for farther cooking without harm or quality degradation. Lamb is very forgiving in this arena.

Status- Standing by.

• SmokeyPitt
    Options
    That looks perfect- great job! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    Wow.  That is a perfect looking set of chops!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    tjosborne said:
    Now that looks amazing. How much do one of those racks sell for?
    Costco consistently has nice lamb racks for about $18 each.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1166014/insert-clever-title-here
    NOLA
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Lamb looks great!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• HDmstng
    HDmstng Posts: 192
    Options
    Great looking cook.  One question, what is SPOG?
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    @HDmstng  is 
    Salt
    Pepper
    Onion powder
    Garlic powder

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • ChillyWillis
    Options
    @HDmstng‌ for this recipe it was the above mix at 2:2:1:1 ratio. A touch of celery salt too.
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Excellent cook!! Like just about everything else I see on the forum I need to try this.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Lblanch40
    Options
    EVOO and SPOG??   Fairly new to forum.  What does this mean?
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    Lblanch40 said:
    EVOO and SPOG??   Fairly new to forum.  What does this mean?
    Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    Salt Pepper Onion (powder) Garlic (powder)

• ChillyWillis
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @Lblanch40 Wow, this thread is a blast from the past. @SmokeyPitt is correct, EVOO is extra virgin olive oil and SPOG is salt pepper onion and garlic powder.  The ratio of salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder I use is usually 2/2/1/1 (although I can be 100% sure that ratio is what I used for this cook seeing as it was a while ago now)

Edit: looks like I already answered that question before in this thread, lol! 2/2/1/1 it is!