Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking for a friend, made the best fajitas yet!

A neighbor suffered a heart attack about 3 weeks ago.  He is home and recovering well, but neighbors have been taking turns cooking dinner for the family each night (parents plus 4 teenaged kids).  Of course it had to be cooked on the Egg, we decided on Fajitas.

I went looking for a marinade recipe, and found an interesting one that used lime zest rather than lime juice, saying that citrus juice makes meat tougher.  It also used chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce, and sounded good, so I rolled with it.  Did 6 chicken breasts and two steaks.  Marinated for a couple of hours then did the chicken breasts raised direct along with a CI pot of black beans and rice.  Egg was full, so I did the onions and peppers on a side burner in my 12" CI skillet.  When the chicken was done, I opened the lid, lowered the grate, and gave the steaks a good sear.

Most of the food went to the neighbors, but we kept dinner for ourselves, and of course I stole a few bites while slicing.

The chicken and steak were INCREDIBLE.  great seasoning, tender, juicy.  I want to do this again without the tortillas and just eat the steak.  Here is the marinade recipe if anyone wants to try it.

2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (buy canned at the grocery store)
Zest from one lime (about 2 teaspoons full)
1/4 red onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, diced
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Place in a zip lock bag with steak or chicken. Let stand on counter 1 hour, turning occasionally. (You can marinate in the fridge overnight also)

XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    I find that strange about the zest rather than lime juice.  I always understood that acid tenderizes meat.

Regardless, that sounds great.  I love chipotles in adobo sauce.  I'm going to try that.
    NOLA
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Great thing to do for the family. Great looking food.
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    looks delicious!  I understand pineapple juice excels at tenderizing....might be worth a try also
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Nice job on the cook and helping the friends.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Looks awesome Bob!! Side burner, what side burner?? That's what the small is used for at my house :D

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    buzd504 said:
    I find that strange about the zest rather than lime juice.  I always understood that acid tenderizes meat.

Regardless, that sounds great.  I love chipotles in adobo sauce.  I'm going to try that.
    Here is a link to the recipe post that discussed juice versus zest. I had no preconceived opinion, but this made a good case for the method.  I was real happy with the outcome.
    Rochester, NY
  • Cookinbob
    Looks awesome Bob!! Side burner, what side burner?? That's what the small is used for at my house :D
    Yeah, and I do have a small, but this was a tight schedule, and I really thought through how I would accomplish this all given the time I had (needed to deliver the dinner between 5:30 and 6, and I work!)  I was happy to cook it all outside, and 75% on the egg!  I did not use the microwave or a crockpot!
    Rochester, NY
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Jus messin with ya man!! I still use the side burner as well.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Congrats on the cook man... Looks great!
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    They look great and good on you for helping out a neighbor. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Citrus juice is a natural tenderizer I always thought. That's why you can turn chicken and fish into mush if you marinate it too long in lemon or lime juice.
    Dearborn MI
  • NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    I've alway had a problem marinating chicken too long with lime/lemon/vinegar. It get a "snap" to it when you bite it kind of like a hot dog. I'll give the zest a shot.

Aurora,OH
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Those fajitas look great.

I've also had great luck using simple, cheap pineapple juice (one of those big cans) as a marinade for chicken and pork.  It doesn't turn the meat to mush, even over days in the fridge, and I like the subtle flavor it adds.  It's my go to choice - got pork and wings marinating in it now as a matter of fact.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    lakewade said:
    Those fajitas look great.

I've also had great luck using simple, cheap pineapple juice (one of those big cans) as a marinade for chicken and pork.  It doesn't turn the meat to mush, even over days in the fridge, and I like the subtle flavor it adds.  It's my go to choice - got pork and wings marinating in it now as a matter of fact.
    Hooray bromelain!
  • Cookinbob
    I searched the web for some "scholarly" rather than word of mouth info, and it seems that strongly acidic marinades will make meat tougher.  Mildly acidic marinades are not a problem.  Ceviche is an example of a highly acidic marinade which cures seafood, and definitely toughens it up.  Pineapple is considered weakly acidic, so does not have this effect.  Marinades with enzymes will tenderize meat by partly digesting it (Eww).  I think any self respecting egghead would avoid this in favor of an appropriate cooking method.

Anyways the zest marinade was the tastiest I ever did.  I will do it again, probably won't try juice (at least not lime or lemon).  
    Rochester, NY
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Cookinbob said:
      Marinades with enzymes will tenderize meat by partly digesting it (Eww).  I think any self respecting egghead would avoid this in favor of an appropriate cooking method.

Anyways the zest marinade was the tastiest I ever did.  I will do it again, probably won't try juice (at least not lime or lemon).  

Marinades with Enzymes that tenderize is really a similar process to ageing meat.  The bacteria tenderize by starting to break down the meat.  Not a bad thing at all.

The zest however is interesting and something I've known for awhile now - Michael Smith taught me that there's actually more lime flavor in the zest than there is in the juice.  With that one tip, my Vodka-Tonics are 1000% better than they were with just juice!

[Insert clever signature line here]
  • Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    I tried your marinade tonight on 2 pounds of flat iron steak. That is a keeper tons of flavor. Thanks.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Cookinbob
    Glad you liked it!
    Rochester, NY
  • You mean 2 of the 7oz cans of the chipotle peppers on adobo sauce? Or two of the actual peppers? Thanks - I am unfamiliar with this product.
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Greenwave, I've been using them for years. They are great, I use them in my chili recipes as well. I'm sure it's two peppers with whatever Adobo sauce sticks to them. You wouldn't be able to eat it with two cans. 
    Dearborn MI
  • Cookinbob
    You mean 2 of the 7oz cans of the chipotle peppers on adobo sauce? Or two of the actual peppers? Thanks - I am unfamiliar with this product.
    @KenfromMI is right.  Two peppers from the can.
    Rochester, NY
  • Just made this... The marinade is outrageous. I am on vacation and did on a gasser - what is the best way to do skirt steak on the egg? Will def be using this recipe again.
  • Cookinbob
    Glad you liked it!  I have not done skirt steaks on the egg, but from all I have read, a quick sear would be the preferred method as skirt steak supposedly cooks quickly.  Others on the forum should be able to confirm.
    Rochester, NY
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Nice job, looks great!!!  Thanks for the recipe.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH