Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Whole Brisket!

Finally got my hands on a whole packer, tough to come by here in Tampa, FL...... Most places only carry flats (@ $7.99/lb, not worth it), have given those a try but now will not be going back to them after this baby and the price is way better @ $3.99/lb for a whole.

The beast was 13.7 lbs, too big for my large egg......so I had to cut a portion of the flat off (put in the freezer).  Rubbed it with S&P, on the egg @ 250, fat cap up! Took about 11 hours!  Very tasty moist!

imageimageimage

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Looks great! I still remember my first brisket, though I try to forget...

Just an FYI, you don't need to cut your brisket if it won't fit. Find something to put in the middle of the grid to drape the brisket over. As it cooks, it will shrink up. When it does enough that it will fit, pull out the "stand" and lay flat. You can use an upside down bread pan, fire brick, etc. Just wrap said object in foil for easy cleanup.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • freddyj
    freddyj Posts: 129
    Dang, looks juicy and tasty!
    Kamado Joe Big Joe, Classic & Junior
  • DMW said:

Just an FYI, you don't need to cut your brisket if it won't fit. Find something to put in the middle of the grid to drape the brisket over. As it cooks, it will shrink up. When it does enough that it will fit, pull out the "stand" and lay flat. You can use an upside down bread pan, fire brick, etc. Just wrap said object in foil for easy cleanup.

Great advice.
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Where did you buy the packer? I'm in Dunedin and the only places I can get them are gfs and Walmart (select). I can't find choice for under $8/pound. When I go on hog hunts in wachula I can pick up choice packers for 3.99.
    Dunedin, FL
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    That looks awful good!
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Good looking brisket.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Dam I love brisket!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• DMW said:

Thanks for the advice! I did see someone have a cook where they did that, completely forgot about that.....next time
  • yzzi said:
    Where did you buy the packer? I'm in Dunedin and the only places I can get them are gfs and Walmart (select). I can't find choice for under $8/pound. When I go on hog hunts in wachula I can pick up choice packers for 3.99.

Got is at GFS on Dale Mabry, but can't say for sure if it was choice or select.....I want to say that I thought I saw it labeled as choice. Didn't really matter what grade it was, i have been unable to find a store that sold whole packers over here (only flats), when I finally saw one I was going to get it!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @jstollings12‌
    Looks excellent my friend. Just a note: I have a large as well. As @DMW noted above, with just a little improvisation you can cook 18+ pound briskets on your large. Examples- Bricks wrapped in foil, inverted V-Rack or about anything else that won't burn or omit fumes. Again excellent job my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• What size is your Egg

It's a Large, old old large. Not sure if the newer ones are bigger or not
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Very nice work. I'll take a sammy or just some slices please.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Nice work and great to see you tracked down a packer in the TB area.  I usually have family fly 'em in when they visit from Texas

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Dillonjm
    Dillonjm Posts: 229
    That looks great, especially for a first cook. I will be trying my first brisket soon. I hope it comes out this good.
    Backyard BBQ Dude
    1 L BGE - 1 Minimax - 1 Recteq

Northern VA
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    thetrim said:

Nice work and great to see you tracked down a packer in the TB area.  I usually have family fly 'em in when they visit from Texas

I'm in! ;)

I've actually been toying with the idea of buying a round trip to Texas and loading up a cooler of those prime Costco briskets everyone seems to get.
    Dunedin, FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Next go around don't cut it do like @DMW‌ suggested. I have a LBGE and have done a 21#er with little problems fitting it in there. Within about 5-7 hrs with shrinkage you'll be able to lay it completely flat on the grid.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Next go around don't cut it do like @DMW‌ suggested. I have a LBGE and have done a 21#er with little problems fitting it in there. Within about 5-7 hrs with shrinkage you'll be able to lay it completely flat on the grid.

Yea, next time I'll definitely give that a try! Thanks for the advise!
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Nice bark and it looks wonderful. If I can't do a full packer or just the point I won't do brisket.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @jstollings12‌ Brody I did the same thing yrs ago on my 1st brisky I couldn't quite fit on an old Brinkman smoker. We all learn and heck that's what the forum brothers and sisters offer "advise". Just be careful this advise isn't brown bottle induced. :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Do you trim the big fat hump off the top of a whole packer ?  I have them at my Walmart but always avoided them in favor of the flats.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314

First up, welcome aboard.  Enjoy the journey.

Strong start with that brisket.  Looks like a home-run to me.  I'm sure there were great eats!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Good looking brisket.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA