Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I hate to say this!!!

Options
13»

Comments

• Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    edited August 2014
    Options
    The Egg is made in the same plant that manufactures the ceramic tiles for the Space Shuttle.

Nobody at THIS Space Shuttle tile manufacturing facility appears to speak spanish: http://www.pbslearningmedia.org/resource/npe11.sci.engin.systems.shuttletile/making-space-shuttle-tiles/
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    Lol some of you guys crack me up.  What exactly constitutes a superior ceramic?  

Resistance to cracking?  Both KJ and GE have plenty of customers cracking their cookers.  I guess the only difference being that KJ will ship the replacement to your doorstep for free (a concern, if you happen to live far far away from a dealer).

Heat retention?  The BGE definitely feels more dense, but you will not see a difference in coal consumption.  My Big Steel Keg on the other hand, consumes a noticeably less amount of coal.  (I own a Keg, Akorn, and Green Egg fwiw)

KJ being made in China?  Okay, I admit, possibly a concern.  They did, after all, kill their babies with milk formula, and they like to put cadmium, lead, and other stuff in the products they ship this way.....   ;)

• freddyj
    freddyj Posts: 129
    Options
    If I'm not mistaken, KJ claims a thicker ceramic and BGE a denser ceramic which both claim to achieve similar results. Is one better than the other ? Possibly. Is one less-expensive than the other and includes more with initial purchase? Maybe.-Probably. Has one been on the market much longer with a bigger following and some kick-butt egg feasts? Most Definately.
    Kamado Joe Big Joe, Classic & Junior
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I priced out a KJ at a store here that also sells Premo and there KJ's were more then the XL is was looking at and the acessories were more too. They are a kind of store has high prices and when they have a sale the price is normal. They didn't want to deal and they farther away then I want to drive for their products. That's why I bought a BGE. My dealer is fair and have great accessories. Their cooking classes are great too.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    odie91 said:
    Lol some of you guys crack me up.  What exactly constitutes a superior ceramic?  

Resistance to cracking?  Both KJ and GE have plenty of customers cracking their cookers.  I guess the only difference being that KJ will ship the replacement to your doorstep for free (a concern, if you happen to live far far away from a dealer).

Heat retention?  The BGE definitely feels more dense, but you will not see a difference in coal consumption.  My Big Steel Keg on the other hand, consumes a noticeably less amount of coal.  (I own a Keg, Akorn, and Green Egg fwiw)

KJ being made in China?  Okay, I admit, possibly a concern.  They did, after all, kill their babies with milk formula, and they like to put cadmium, lead, and other stuff in the products they ship this way.....   ;)

@odie91, I agree on the heat retention of the bubba keg.  Lump goes even farther than it does on the egg.  I cook pizza on my eggs and bubba when I do pizza parties, and the bubba keg is the last one to run out of fuel every time.  It also is cooler to the touch on the outside, but that supports why it uses less fuel, more heat is contained within the cooker, and not transferring out the walls.  But the eggs get more use still.  I keep bubba on the side yard so it can be easily hooked up to the trailer hitch for when I need a kamado on the go.

• warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    Options
    Bullibe said:
    mrw123 said:
    They look good and I don't doubt the quality or value. But I REALLY wanted to support US manufacturing when I was buying. I know BGE quality is great and I was willing to pay more for a product made here. I fully support everyone spending their own money EXACTLY the way they want though. Just my two cents.
    BGE is made in Mexico as far as I know, but I love mine !

Hey, anymore now-a-days Mexico is the US, and vice-versa! Have you signed up to house your immigrant kids yet?

From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    Options

I've got a large BGE and a mini I bought at a flea market. I use the mini for sears, mainly.

We have a friend who wanted a BGE after I got mine (naturally), and found a KJ large, brand new, at a BGE distributor (in the basement, I might add!). The price was good, accessories were good, and she asked if I would look it over for her when I was up there. I did, and when she asked if I thought it was a good deal, I told her no....but that if she didn't buy it...I WOULD!!! She bought it that day, I took it to her house, and she loves it! We are color blind!!

From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • qprhooligan
    Options
    I bet the Joes are good but BGE sure has a great warranty. Even if both offer lifetime, will the customer service be up to BGE quality? I love a bargain as much as the next guy, and I do owner products from other companies too, but I love and trust my BGE most.
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    Yesterday at Costco they had a guy selling KJ's. They looked decent enough but there was just something about them I didn't love. I did buy two 20 pound bags of lump for $20 though. KJ lump is pretty damn good. I always get huge chunks and it burns for a long time.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    The KJ roadshow is at our costco this weekend from what I've heard. Gonna get a couple bags to try.
  • SunDeviledEgg
    Options
    I bet the Joes are good but BGE sure has a great warranty. Even if both offer lifetime, will the customer service be up to BGE quality? I love a bargain as much as the next guy, and I do owner products from other companies too, but I love and trust my BGE most.
    KJ will fedex any warranty parts straight to your door at no cost.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    From what I have seen the KJ and the Bubba Keg are about the same price as the BGE or more. The Premo is differently more then the BGE. I to like the warranty and the service I get from dealer and will continue to buy from BGE if I get another one. I will never go back to gas though.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Lit
    Options
    The KJ junior with the stand, pizza stone, stainless grate with the flap so you can add wood without removing the grate, and raise direct cooking device like the woo is the same price as the mini egg with no accessories. To get the small egg with all those accesories you would be close to double th eKJ junior.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Lit said:

The KJ junior with the stand, pizza stone, stainless grate with the flap so you can add wood without removing the grate, and raise direct cooking device like the woo is the same price as the mini egg with no accessories. To get the small egg with all those accesories you would be close to double th eKJ junior.

If I could find a KJJ for 330, I might consider it. I suppose it depends on where you live but that is what my mini cost. I use it for quick cooks so there is no point in any of the extras for me. Now, compared to the small? That's a different story.
  • Gogogordy
    Options
    If I could find a KJJ for 330, I might consider it. I suppose it depends on where you live but that is what my mini cost. I use it for quick cooks so there is no point in any of the extras for me. Now, compared to the small? That's a different story.

Compared to a small its a better value, compared to the mini its apples and oranges. Love my Jr. and the included accessories are top-notch, and purpose built.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Some things made in Mexico are about as good of quality as you could hope for. I borrowed this example from one of henapples post. But it proves the point about Mexican quality for sure. I couldn't find a flaw any where. image

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Lit
    Options
    @SGH I paid $350 for my KJ junior but that was with shipping to my door. Most of the posts I have seen others paid $400 for their juniors which is still cheap with everything you get. I have a mini egg too and love it and obviously its not all about money. I sold my small egg once I got my junior and tried it so even at the same cost the junior is superior in my opinion. Your post I found a flaw. No egg.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I would be curious to hear what the KJ Jr is going for at Costco.  The iterweb told me they were $350 in Austin. 

I am considering grabbing a Little Joe also, $350 is tough to beat.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Gogogordy
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I would be curious to hear what the KJ Jr is going for at Costco.  The iterweb told me they were $350 in Austin. 

I am considering grabbing a Little Joe also, $350 is tough to beat.

They were $349. At Costco in Vista Ca includes all accessories, bag o' KJ lump, and starters...
  • Lit
    Options

@smoketpitt I was just at the Cumming store and they were $349. Also had Prime Sirloin caps at $6.19 a pound. If you can't make it up here let me know and I'll go get one for you.