Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini-Max

Options
I was getting eggcited about the min max but after using my mini for 5 months now I don't think I would want one. If it has the same size fire box in height I think I would be better off going to a small is the fire box not deeper in it in proportion to height? I did a 7lb. pork shoulder on the mini and had to add lump about half way thru. What do you think? 
Owen Sound On. For now 1large 2mini's 1exl and 1 6burner Vermont Casting

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Max is a short fat guy with a large fire grate, cooking surface area of a SBGE, this allows the portability (total weight w/ ceramics, PS and carrier/nest is roughly 70#), has the ability of long L&S and high temps with no problem. Already prepaid for mine and I'm impatiently waiting ;)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    It has the same diameter as the small, but either the same or closer to, the height of the mini. One might notice that for instance, the XL is also "squatty" shaped in comparison to the large. I think it's the same or similar thinking and design.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    If you use a better low and slow lump in your mini like fogo or wicked good you can finish that shoulder. I did a 6 pounder at around 300 and it took about 8 hours and I still had a good hour of lump left.
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    The max will hold more lump then the mini also. Just say it you still want one
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Now here is a dumb question that occurs to me.  I have a mini and an Egg Carten, which I love.  When I eventually get a mini-max, is there any way to make it fit into my Carten?
    Help!.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • badinfluence
    Options
    @jaydub58‌ should not need to. Rumer has it the mini max will come with something like it to transport.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Now that is way cool!
    Thanks, @badinfluence.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    What's the going price on the mini max?
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I am losing patience
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Max comes equipped w/ nest/carrier w/ handles. This will be all included.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options

@jaydub58‌ should not need to. Rumer has it the mini max will come with something like it to transport.

Zoom in and ya can sorta see the carrier that the Max comes equipped with.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • DaveM
    DaveM Posts: 100
    Options
    My dealer said they are supposed to ship next month - just in time for football season. I've got one reserved, but haven't seen the pricing, yet. Grey_bri, how did you get a 7# butt on a mini? I borrowed one from my dealer to play with, and found it too small to be of any value. I couldn't squeeze 4 chicken breasts on it.
    --Dave from Leesburg, VA BGE XL, Viking 42", Firepit with $16 grill
  • tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Options
    You can get more on one than you think. 6# picnic
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    October is what our Distributor is saying.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    DaveM said:
    My dealer said they are supposed to ship next month - just in time for football season. I've got one reserved, but haven't seen the pricing, yet. Grey_bri, how did you get a 7# butt on a mini? I borrowed one from my dealer to play with, and found it too small to be of any value. I couldn't squeeze 4 chicken breasts on it.

Mini movies Thanks to Spring Chicken, aka Leroy: #1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYGge_k7FUI #2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha4L_WocnJQ&feature=youtu.be #3 http://youtu.be/YXW2tk49VE0 #4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGTQtVWlhus&feature=g-upl #5 http://youtu.be/ZIgTkeR184A
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I think I'm gonna have to seriously consider a mini max as my second egg. I think it would be the perfect fit for a second at home and an easy take along for the camper. Has anyone been given a price yet?
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Manager at the mothership said hopefully mid October they will be available but possibly November. Also said pricing is looking at the high $400 range close to $500.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @Mickey‌, thanks for getting my "wanter" revved up. I had to quit watching those videos before I started pulling out the charge cards.

This forum makes people insane. Just last year, I posted my first thread to get advice about LBGE vs MBGE. Most people encouraged me to get the large and told stories of what they started with before they added additional eggs. I was flabbergasted that people were talking about having more than one egg.

Well, fast forward a year and I'm finding myself thinking about which egg I want to add to my large. I'm considering everything from another large down to the mini, including the Mini-Max.

I really don't need another egg, even though I think I do. Somehow I need to stop the madness before I become like @badinfluence‌. Decisions, decisions.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • apfroggy0408
    Options
    I have a medium, been thinking about a second egg. mini max might be it but i should probably go bigger not smaller
    A zen powerlifter with a medium BGE.

• grey_bri
    grey_bri Posts: 46
    Options
    Well u could be right I just thought that with the max even though it is wider it is not any taller and would not hold that much more lump. When I did the shoulder I was using bge lump we don't have have all the varieties up here that u guys have and have to make do and so far bge seems to last the longest I just don't like the price 30.00 a bag. I also thought that with a small you would have a little more top end height for larger cuts
    Owen Sound On. For now 1large 2mini's 1exl and 1 6burner Vermont Casting
  • badinfluence
    Options
    Get them all darn it then all the hard choices are done.

One can never have too many eggs. :D

Clinton, Iowa