Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tonight's cook

Hey all, tonight's cook was a couple of New York strips that were fantastic so I thought I'd share a pic. I also wanted to ask, and I'm sure this a common question. What is everyone's go to lump? I'm in N. FL and my options are very limited. I use royal oak or BGE but I've been thinking about ordering online.

Comments

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Welcome to the fun 8-} I just started using Ozark Oak and really like it compared to Royal Oak. In the past, I've only used royal oak, BGE, and cowboy(never again). There's lots of reviews and rants about people's favorites on the forum. Have you looked at the reviews at the @nakedwhiz‌ site? Also, @SGH‌ recently posted his reviews of Ozark Oak and Rockwood.

If you order a $100.00 or more from FireCraft, Shipping is free. The FedEx man delivered a 100#'s of lump last week to my doorstep.

Thanks for sharing the pic. It looks delicious.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • rwbbobo
    rwbbobo Posts: 13
    I've tried different brands as well of lump coal, what ever is available, I recently bought a bag of kingsford competition charcoal briquettes, on the bag it said they burn hot and long and are made for ceramic grills. I thought I'd give them a try.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Hey all, tonight's cook was a couple of New York strips that were fantastic so I thought I'd share a pic. I also wanted to ask, and I'm sure this a common question. What is everyone's go to lump? I'm in N. FL and my options are very limited. I use royal oak or BGE but I've been thinking about ordering online.

Any Ace Hardware in N. Florida should be able to order about two dozen different brands of charcoal for you by the bag, if they don't have them in stock already.  They'll show up on the restock truck a few days later along with everything else that store needs.

Rockwood is SKU 8400772.  Where in FL?  I can check to see if there are any stocking stores there.

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    @Grillnugget‌ Winter is coming! Lump is about to be hard to find so make sure you stock up!
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • I'm in Tallahassee . The ace only a mile and a half from me doesn't carry squat. They've had the same bag of Kamodo joe for a year, lol. But I will ask what they can order and stock up for the winter too.
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    @stemc33‌ told you right. Rockwood and Ozark Oak...
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

@grillnugget

I show some bags shipped to the store on Kerry Forest Pkwy.  Not very many, could have special order......but at least they know what it is and have ordered it before.

• @stlcharcoal‌ Thanks for checking, that's my Ace so I'll get right on it. Do you know what brand shipped? I assume the rock wood but just wanted to be sure.