Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best way to clean cast iron cooking grate

Options
Over the summer my cast iron grate has collected quite a bit of grease and food particles.  Unfortunately, we've had quite a bit of rain and high heat the past week or so and now i'm starting to see some mold (I know...i'm ashamed).  

Other than cranking the temp as high as I can get it and letting it burn off, are there any tips for cleaning the grate?

Thanks!

Comments

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    Just burn off some cheapo-crappy lump.... Then hit it with some veggie oil and season.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    Since its mold I would burn it off, scrap and spray to re season. 

If you scrap it with your grid brusk, the mold particles with get into the metal fibers of the brush and may contaminate clean grids in the future. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Heat the crap out of it and oil it...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    jaq0316 said:
    Over the summer my cast iron grate has collected quite a bit of grease and food particles.  Unfortunately, we've had quite a bit of rain and high heat the past week or so and now i'm starting to see some mold (I know...i'm ashamed).  

Other than cranking the temp as high as I can get it and letting it burn off, are there any tips for cleaning the grate?

Thanks!
    I don't know why you think you need to "crank the temp as high as you can get it".  The amount of mold isn't anywhere near the mass of a slab o meat, so pretty much as soon as you get the grid to any temp, the mold is also at that temp.  Cooking food to 165 is adequate to kill unwanted germs.  Boiling water is adequate to kill unwanted microbes to make it safe to drink.  I can't imagine there is a mold spore that is going to survive 300 degrees,

Just heat it and clean it.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    henapple said:

Heat the crap out of it and oil it...

This!

Little Rock, AR

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options

I just purchased and used a Cast Iron on my LBGE...cooked direct Boneless Skinless chicken breast...shore did make a mess for 5 breasts....

Clean them off with?

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Cast iron grid? Or pan?

Little Rock, AR

• MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    I just burn the crap off and keep it lubed with oil once it is cooled
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • jaq0316
    jaq0316 Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone!
  • Redskull
    Redskull Posts: 55
    Options
    Clean as you would a cast iron pan. Get it hot as hell, hit it with a wet hard bristle brush while it is still over the heat of the coals, let it get hot again, hitting it withe the wet brush until it is clean.  heat until hot, and coat with crisco shortening or vegetable oil...
    MESQUITE, TEXAS - LBGE, Tejas Smoker, Circle-J 24" open pit grill, indoor & outdoor cooking, beer, camping, more beer & cooking...
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    Options
    Haan handheld steamer .You will have to reseason CI it but it will come out real clean .