Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon Question

tshuggz
tshuggz Posts: 19

Hi everybody!

I recently had salmon that was cooked over a fire on a white water rafting trip.  I'm pretty sure it was cooked while wrapped in tin foil.  Whatever they used to get the smokey flavor made it taste unreal.  I've had similar smoked flavor in packaged cold smoked salmon I've bought at the store too.  Can anyone help me out on what type of wood goes best with salmon?

Thanks.

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited August 2014
    Everything I've read says Alder, but I've never had it.  The key is to get a fairly mild wood - salmon soaks it up.

I like pecan.
    NOLA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    alder is traditional,in the egg apple is good, and guava but you would have to mail order it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Alder and pecan are my favourites with springs or pinks. Apple is like bacon, IMO, good with anything. Sockeye is best served like a fine whiskey, straight up, just the lump smoke. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • tshuggz
    tshuggz Posts: 19

What do you season the sockeye with?

• leo123
    leo123 Posts: 101
    this is my go to cedar plank salmon. Always turns out great. No complaints even from wife.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    tshuggz said:

The fresher it is, the less you need.  I usually just use a light dust of Tony's.
    NOLA
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited August 2014
    Peach and apricot wood are good.  Neither will overpower the fish.  I add just one chunk. 

I grill it on the grate.  Steaks come out nice at 325-350* direct or 375-400* raised direct.  Filets I do at 325 - 350 no matter which level.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Here is some keta salmon wrapped in cedar grilling papers. I soaked the papers in water for approx 30 minutes. Seasoned the salmon to taste. Grill direct at 400 for approx 4-1/2 minutes each side. Great cedar flavor. imageimageimage
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    @Big_Green_Craig‌ neat idea, where did you pickup the paper to cedar wrap?
  • pigoutsc
    pigoutsc Posts: 92
    I like mine blackened and grilled direct at 425-450. I normally use Zataran's.image
  • Skiddymarker
    tshuggz said:

Avocado oil rub (any will do - just in the cupboard at the moment) S&P. Like I said, sockeye does not need help. Pinks or springs need lemon, dill, and anything else you might like. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Great looking cooks.  @pigoutsc do you do flesh side down on the grill direct?  

The cedar paper looks very cool, never seen it before.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • R3K
    R3K Posts: 52

A1 has a sweet mesquite that the kids and I really like along with salt & pepper (wife isn't very particular but tends to just like salt & pepper).  Once the salmon is cooked, I'll drizzle a little Lawry's Hawaiian marinade on it.  Delicious!  Just had some yesterday as a matter of fact.

That cedar paper is a great idea, had never heard of that before.  I'd also like to know where you got it.

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    @tshuggz‌, if the fish you ate was cooked in foil, it might of had wood chips placed in the foil pack while it was on the fire. If your rafting trip was in the NW, it's a good chance that they used alder. The other thing that could of made your sense of taste heightened was the type of salmon you ate.

I agree with @Skiddymarker‌ on the sockeye. IMHO sockeye is the best when it comes to eye appeal/color, texture, and taste. I'm not a big fan of the cedar plank craze, but that's just me. My preferred method is raised direct on the egg filled with applewood smoke. I start with flesh side down and then flip to skin-side down. When the fish is done, just slide a spatula under the fillet leaving the skin behind when you put it on the platter.
    The kings and sockeye have the most fat and oil making them easier to cook than the other types of salmon. The high fat content gives you more leeway during cooking without drying it out.

One last thing. I will not purchase or eat Atlantic farm raised salmon. I'll just choose another type of fish if I can't get Pacific Northwest salmon.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Skiddymarker
    @stemc33 - "One last thing. I will not purchase or eat Atlantic farm raised salmon. I'll just choose another type of fish if I can't get Pacific Northwest salmon."
    and we do thank you, the PNW is good for other tha building airplanes! 

:))
  • pigoutsc
    pigoutsc Posts: 92
    blind99 said:
    Great looking cooks.  @pigoutsc do you do flesh side down on the grill direct?  

The cedar paper looks very cool, never seen it before.
    I start skin side down and keep it there well over half the cook. After flipping to flesh side I leave it long enough to get some crust and meet proper temps( thermapen )
  • anzyegg said:
    @Big_Green_Craig‌ neat idea, where did you pickup the paper to cedar wrap?
    Honestly, I can't remember! I've had them for a while and finally got around to using them. They are made by Fire & Flavor so you might check their website.