Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey breast temps

Options
Carl T
Carl T Posts: 179
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to try a split turkey breast. I assume I should go indirect and was planning on 250 degrees until internal temp of 175-180. Any thoughts on better temp combinations for the turkey breast?[p]BTW, I've had my LBGE for a little over two weeks now and have already recruited one new member for the egg force. I was bragging to my older brother about temp control and moisture retention on Mr. Eggy and challenged him to bring a cut for me to cook. He brought what he called a pork rib roast (I did not see the wrapper. He said is was nothing but pork chops uncut). I estimated the weight at three pounds. I rubbed it with a simple salt, garlic, pepper mix and cooked it indirect at 250 with a couple of hickory and apple chunks for around three hours until internal temp of 160. He took it home for dinner and called me that evening and asked where I purchased my egg. He said it was the best pork he has ever eaten.

Comments

• Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Options
    Carl T,
    In the last few months, I have BBQ several whole turkey breasts each about 10 pounds. I hold the temperture around 300 degrees using Gfw's indirect method. Total time in the egg is about 3 to 3 and one half hours.
    Fireball

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Carl T,[p]As Fireball said, turkey does better at slightly higher temps (300-325). Figure roughly 15 minutes per pound. Take it off at an internal temp of 160; the meat is very lean and will dry out if overcooked.[p]Cathy

• bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Options
    Carl T,
    I agree with Cat and Fireball. I always do turkey at 300-325 for 15 minutes per pound (roughly), but always wait until the Polder tells me it's done. I reserve the "low and slow" cooks for briskets and butts. Poultry always seems to do well at 300-350 over a drip pan. Incidentally, try cooking it over a pan of beer! What time should we be there?!

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Carl T,
    I did a 6.5 lb whole breast last weekend at 300F dome to an internal of 170F. Total cook time was 2.5 hours.
    JimW

• JFK
    JFK Posts: 12
    Options
    Carl T,
    I agree with the others, but I would add that I always pull off my turkey (breast/w or w/o bone) at an internal temp of 150 degrees and allow it to rest at least 10 more minutes. [p]It will reach the appro. temp during it's rest and will be much more moist. [p]And don't forget to brine two days before (overnight is fine) and then marinate with your fav's at least 12 hours before egging.[p]Good luck,[p]JFK