Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's your kryptonite?

Options
2»

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    SaltySam said:
    For the umpteenth time, I overcooked steak tonight. It's getting embarrassing. I nail chicken, pork tenderloin, ribs, burgers within about 5 degrees of target temp. Steaks on the other hand...I suck. I know how to fix it. Or at least I thought I did. I bring the steaks out to the countertop for thirty minutes prior to cooking. Hot coals, stable at 550-600, 1 inch NY strips on for a couple minutes, quarter turn, flip, two minutes and take it off. I figured at best these things would be at 130-ish. Nope, per the Thermapen they were all 160 and up. I dropped an F-bomb and immediately apologized to the neighbor. I scour these pages for advice, I've calibrated my thermometer, I buy different cuts of meat...and all of them turn out terrible. I'm not ready to give up, but I will probably wait a while to buy more steak. As an Egg owner, this is borderline unforgivable. I know. But I can't be alone. What dish gets the best of you? Please someone say steak...

Thick steaks - at least 1.5", 1.75" or 2" would be better. Save thin steaks until you are well accomplished. Use a reverse sear method as others have explained. Start with boneless rib eyes. Simple seasoning - salt only. You may even want to start the slow roasting in your kitchen oven - 225-240°F until the meat hits 115°F and then move to your hot egg for searing. After searing move back to the oven if the internal temp is not up to your preferred target. This will give you a great steak. After you are comfortable with this process you can modify things to your own liking - spices, all on the egg, different cut of steak, different thickness, etc. Blasting a thin steak over high heat is one of the more difficult ways to cook a steak.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• BigGreenGator
    Options
    I'd say big breasts ( . ) ( . ) ;)

Large Big Green Egg / Ceramic Grill 2 Tier grate / Maverick ET-733 / homemade egg station / Amelia Island Fl. "Go Gators"

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Emily Ratajkowski
    Had to Google, was not disappointed.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    now dab dry the steaks with a paper towel (very important - a dry surface browns due to Mailard reaction a wet surface must steam before it can brown) drop them on for 30 seconds or more a side. 

Must try this next time, never would've thought to do that.  Thanks!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
  • Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    Options
    My wife.
    Duncan, SC
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    Burgers for me.  I always seem to be overcooking.  
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    I have made brisket before on an P.O.S. offset from Home Depot using Steve Raichlen's method http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Texas-Style-Barbecued-Brisket-242249 And it comes out amazing. I have tried time and time again to get it right on the BGE and it's never as moist. I have done a few different methods and in my eyes failed every time. I'm to the point that I will never make it for guest because I can just about guarantee failure. I'll keep trying, but I believe the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different outcome...
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Krytonite...or nightmare?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I guess it's steak for me. Not that I can't do one properly - they are usually perfectly done. Great sear, inside temp spot on. But they are tough and tasteless. Always. I attribute that to the fact that I refuse to spend $20 a pound for a chunk of beef from a real butcher. Grocery store prices are bad enough. I have solved the problem though. I stopped buying steaks. I think I had one in the past year or so. Meh.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Titos
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    Thanks to everyone...except @Henapple.  You've ruined my appetite for the weekend. That Bama elephant is definitely not the dish that gets the best of me. 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Used to be undercooked chicken, but I have that pretty well under control.  I have been starting almost everything a lot hotter than I used to.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

Emily Ratajkowski

Had to Google, was not disappointed.

She has a weird belly button.... deal breaker.
    :D
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jfine1
    Options
    I always go 1.5" and use a small cast iron grid set right on top of the coals ... Some temp around 600 - clearly hotter on the coals. 3 mins each side and a 10 min rest. I always go bone-in too which makes a big difference. Ignore first pic below, attached t by accident and can't get rid of it!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Without question or doubt. PIZZA. Can't make it to save my life.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• jerryb78
    Options
    Fajitas. They seem simple but I can't seem to turn out anything on par with the standard stuff you get at a Mexican restaurant.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Chuckies
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos