Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help needed not in regards to BGE!

2»

Comments

• NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307

I just bought a new TV. After a ton of research I chose the LG 55" 5900 without smart TV features, about $500 cheaper than the smart version. I think I paid $700 with a 5 year Square Trade warranty shipped from amazon. It has near perfect blacks and the motion is fantastic which is really important for sports

All of my wall mounted TVs have a stand under neath to hold my cable boxes, so I've given up on mounting them and looked for a TV that had a nice stand. LG and Samsung won in that regard. I needed a corner stand for my tv and the stand I bought limited me to a 55" tv. I wish I would have found a better stand, because the 55" look miniature from where I sit (15ft)

It's a tough time to buy a TV right now, there are a ton of new technologies on the verge and I was hesitant, but my 42" tv wouldn't cut it for where I sit to watch it. 4K will be amazing and I'm waiting for a few years when it's cheap and readily available.

Aurora,OH
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I own 7 Samsungs and 1 Vizio. The Vizio was a gift. 

Samsung + 1

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529

tjosborne said:

80" vizio m series. It's big but crappy, remote don't wanna work half the time and if I use the smart features it freezes.

I have a Vizio TV in my son's room and the apps suck.  It's funny they used to be okay but they update automatically and recently they just plain suck.  Laggy and freezie.  It has buttons for Netflix, Amazon, etc.  You press the button and nothing...then 5 minutes later it pops up.  

Ya that's exactly what happens to me. I just started using the blu ray player for netflix.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    @WeberWho?‌ I went looking at TV's today during lunch. Unfortunately, Plasma's are on their way out. Since Panasonic got out of the Plasma business, I only saw 2 Plasma's. Both were Samsung. There was a 43" that was on sake for $299 at Best Buy and Sears. Too bad, I think Plasma's have the best picture on the market. I have an 8-9 year old Panasonic that is awesome.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    I meant on sale!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    edited August 2014
    70" Sharp 240hz, really nice picture and no motion blur. Make sure if you buy a 240hz TV to check it when you do the setup. Most do not land on 240 you have to select it. Pretty damn stupid if you ask me.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • Sixpack1
    Sixpack1 Posts: 189
    I have two Samsung Smarts they are hard to beat. Best pictures I've ever seen.
    The Gator Nation, Central Florida
    LARGE & MINI  Life is good...
    GO GATORS!!!

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    @tulocay‌

That's too bad Panasonic is getting out of Plasma. They blew everyone out of the water for how good their picture looked in comparison for years.

Sony also jumped ship with plasma a few years back if I'm not mistaking. Sony was losing hundreds of million of dollars to Samsung in plasma sales. They couldn't compete so they went strictly into LCD/LED.

Hopefully Samsung stays with Plasma. I can't imagine them moving away from it since they seem to dominate in that category. My Samsung is far from top of the line but been happy with it. Hopefully it lasts many more years.

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    WeberWho? said:
    @tulocay‌ That's too bad Panasonic is getting out of Plasma. They blew everyone out of the water for how good their picture looked in comparison for years. Sony also jumped ship with plasma a few years back if I'm not mistaking. Sony was losing hundreds of million of dollars to Samsung in plasma sales. They couldn't compete so they went strictly into LCD/LED. Hopefully Samsung stays with Plasma. I can't imagine them moving away from it since they seem to dominate in that category. My Samsung is far from top of the line but been happy with it. Hopefully it lasts many more years.
    @WeberWho? Samsung is backing out in November, leaving only LG as a plasma maker. They'll be all gone in the next few years, I bet. OLED is the future for plasma lovers, if manufacturers can get it right. 
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    I have a 65" Panasonic plasma Gt series . I love it. I just prefer plasma. Samsung 46 in led bedroom. I hated it till I got use to it. Whatever TV it is you have to turn off all the picture smoothing crap. A friend bought a 75" Samsung that looks good.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    Plasma is phasing out. Looks awesome in a dark theatre room but is heavy, costly and the screen reflective to outside light sources - glare. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • I have a 70" ESeries Vizio and it works great for me.  I don't use any of the apps other than Pandora.

Not sure about the stock speakers, but the Vizio soundbar to go with it works great.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    @EGGCELSIOR

Oh that sucks Samsung Plasma is on it's way out. It's been a couple years since I've done any real research on televisions. Thanks for the heads up! That's some good information.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Eggcelsior
    Dobie said:

Plasma is phasing out. Looks awesome in a dark theatre room but is heavy, costly and the screen reflective to outside light sources - glare. 

Plasmas are also energy hogs. Hopefully OLED works out. The color depth is the best since they are truly black due to no backlight.
  • OmahaOne
    OmahaOne Posts: 154
    Samsung 55" Class 4K 120Hz 3D Smart LED UHDTV UN55HU8500FXZA from Costco. One word "Beautiful" and the next Super Bowl will be shot in 4K. It really does make HD look even better as well as Blue-Rays. 
    XL BGE - Indianapolis, IN
  • Eggcelsior
    4k will be the next for me once I finish the basement. I can't wait for 4k video games.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    I have a 60" samsung and the picture is beautiful. The sound sucks onit and I need a separate remote for the Samsung sound bar. Apps never get used cuz I use Apple TV for streaming. It is 3D but never used it once. Sound sucks. I would have went a different direction if I knew the sound sucked
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• I may be completely wrong, but I've always viewed Samsung in the same light as Toyota. You'll pay more up front, but you'll be glad you did in a few years. I know a lot of people who have had good luck with vizio, and we actually have a smaller one in one of the guest bedrooms, but my 7 yr old 46" Samsung lcd still looks great. Just make sure you balance quality w/ size when you purchase.
    Austin, TX
  • tjosborne

4k will be the next for me once I finish the basement. I can't wait for 4k video games.

Which games do you play?
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    WeberWho? said:
    @tulocay‌ That's too bad Panasonic is getting out of Plasma. They blew everyone out of the water for how good their picture looked in comparison for years. Sony also jumped ship with plasma a few years back if I'm not mistaking. Sony was losing hundreds of million of dollars to Samsung in plasma sales. They couldn't compete so they went strictly into LCD/LED. Hopefully Samsung stays with Plasma. I can't imagine them moving away from it since they seem to dominate in that category. My Samsung is far from top of the line but been happy with it. Hopefully it lasts many more years.
    @WeberWho? Samsung is backing out in November, leaving only LG as a plasma maker. They'll be all gone in the next few years, I bet. OLED is the future for plasma lovers, if manufacturers can get it right. 
    Unfortunately, it seems like for years the industry has been touting OLED will be the savior and it hasn't come through.  I have a Panasonic 65" plasma that I got a few years ago.  It should be good for another few years.  Maybe then OLED will have proved itself, or maybe 240hz 4k will become the benchmark.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Eggcelsior
    tjosborne said:

Which games do you play?
    Kids have slowed me down, but I I enjoy FPS and open world games with adventure/strategy elements. Car racing as well.

Gran Turismo
    Infamous
    Assassin's Creed
    Fall Out
    The Last of Us

Hands down my favorite : Metal Gear Solid
  • Gotta Sony 60 and a Visio 46 no complaints with either one :)

Large Big Green Egg / Ceramic Grill 2 Tier grate / Maverick ET-733 / homemade egg station / Amelia Island Fl. "Go Gators"

• grey_bri
    grey_bri Posts: 46
    I have a 80 in. Sharp and just love it. I have had it for about two years now and the picture is great on it!! Highly recommend it
    Owen Sound On. For now 1large 2mini's 1exl and 1 6burner Vermont Casting
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Love my almost 10 yr old 50" pioneer kuro plasma. It was the gem of her time. Still going strong!
    Seattle, WA
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009

We have a 75 inch LED Samsung Smart TV with 240Hz and web browser.

We paid $2800 ..never use the WI FI or smart features. My wife does her Facebook activities on her tablet, I surf off my laptop.

FWIW..save the money..get a 70"  Visio for $1100 from Walmart..you won't be sorry.

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• tjosborne

tjosborne said:

Which games do you play?
    Kids have slowed me down, but I I enjoy FPS and open world games with adventure/strategy elements. Car racing as well.

Gran Turismo
    Infamous
    Assassin's Creed
    Fall Out
    The Last of Us

All pretty good games. I've played all those except The Last of Us, waiting on that one till I get a PS4.
  • bearBGE
    bearBGE Posts: 129
    So I decided to go with a Samsung 65" LED 240HZ 3D yahoo can't wait to get it on Thursday
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited August 2014

tjosborne said:

Which games do you play?

Gran Turismo
    Infamous
    Assassin's Creed
    Fall Out
    The Last of Us

I saw that one coming. :P

I picked up MGS V (PS4) or $17. :D
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    JRWhitee said:
    I have a Sony 55" XBR 240hz. It is about 4 years old best TV I have ever had. 
    Got the same, mine maybe an extra year or two older, but still a king among other TV's, although I would love a 4K
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited August 2014
    This thread is making me itch like cray cray. The new house has structured wiring everywhere. Where I'm mounting tvs, I will have a high plug, network and coaxil drop.

Directv has tiny boxes that I will stuff behind the TV since the remotes are RF. I'm pretty excited just thinking about how clean it will look. I'm still debating smart vs Amazon Fire/Roku option. It's between Sony (always been a Sony fanboy) and Samsung though. I will mount my Panasonic 65VT30 in the game room. I have never been a plasma fan, but this TV kicks ass! 

@Eggcelsior I eagerly look forward to 4K gaming too, but I think i'm going to go with the Sony 55ES 1080p projector for the media room.  As much as I want to, I just don't see how I can drop $14,000 on a 4K projector.  However, my wife and I were walking into Costco and she said, OMG look at that picture.  It was a 4K TV so I think i'll convince her to move the Panasonic to the family or master bedroom and get a 4K for the game room.  After all, that is where I will be watching my Vikings play!   :D
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....