Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's your kryptonite?

For the umpteenth time, I overcooked steak tonight. It's getting embarrassing. I nail chicken, pork tenderloin, ribs, burgers within about 5 degrees of target temp. Steaks on the other hand...I suck.

I know how to fix it. Or at least I thought I did. I bring the steaks out to the countertop for thirty minutes prior to cooking. Hot coals, stable at 550-600, 1 inch NY strips on for a couple minutes, quarter turn, flip, two minutes and take it off. I figured at best these things would be at 130-ish. Nope, per the Thermapen they were all 160 and up. I dropped an F-bomb and immediately apologized to the neighbor.

I scour these pages for advice, I've calibrated my thermometer, I buy different cuts of meat...and all of them turn out terrible. I'm not ready to give up, but I will probably wait a while to buy more steak.

As an Egg owner, this is borderline unforgivable. I know. But I can't be alone. What dish gets the best of you?

Please someone say steak...

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

Comments

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited August 2014
    @SaltySam‌, I'm not sure if steaks are my kryptonite, but I consider them a weakness. In fact, grilling hot and fast anything is still difficult, but the raised grid has helped tremendously. Are you checking the temps during the cooks/flip times? What temp are you pulling the steaks off at?

I cooked some ribeyes caveman last week and pulled them at 125°ish. I got the desired doneness, but not the sear I wanted. I, like you left the steaks out prior to eggin'. This week I'm gonna pull straight from the refrigerator to see if I can get a little more crust and keep the juicy pink center. Ive seen that some people on the forum are turning out some awesome looking meat using SV, so I don't think having your steaks out before you egged them hurt you too much. I'll be looking forward to seeing what the others have to say.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    My wife's spending habits!   :P
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Try to get 1.5-2" steaks.  Will give you a little more wiggle room.  Do you normally sear before or after?  I typically will sear them off, then roast to my target temp.  A 1 inch steak leaves very little room for error so don't be too hard on yourself.  For steaks that thin, the hot tub technique works really well.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    For a long time it was burgers. Took me a really long time to figure out how to cook a good burger on the Egg.
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    Definitely ribs for me - only feel like I've gotten them to come out perfectly once.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Chicken patties for me. Those healthy $*#! have zero fat in them and dries out quickly if you don't keep an eye on them.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Any type of baking, always burns before cooking all the way through -  Tried low heat, hight heat, even pan in water - Gave up and now do baking in the house.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    edited August 2014
    Payed my dues on pizza, still hearing about that, but after a few attempts figured it out. Undercooked some chuckies before cooking them high enough to pull, or just braising to pull tenderness. So probably 'undercook' is my Krypto, having uc'ed one or two briskets and pork shoulders. Since going through that learning curve things have been pretty smooth, butt, overbrined some boneless skinless chicken last week, so keeping myself challenged and not getting too big of a head!
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Ribs, I've screwed a few of those up.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    Burgers.. I always cook them to 160 and they dry as can be..
    Aurora,OH
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    crab cakes, have only had one that ive liked in my life and i really liked that one. seems me and nobody else can make one up here, ive resorted to makingthem with clams and lobster up here
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited August 2014
    Re: steak - don't be afraid to pull them off to check temp.  Even with a thermapen (especially?), it's easy to get a bad reading when you are over a hot fire. 

Pull em off, take a temp, and put them back on if they're not where you want.

Also, reverse sear is a great technique.  Cook raised indirect @ 300 (or less) to about 110 (the meat will look gray and unappetizing).  Remove the indirect piece, go low to the fire and do 60-90 seconds/side, depending on temp and thickness.

And if you're always overcooking them, cook them less.  Take them off before you think they're done.  Slice one up - if it isn't done, put it back on.
    NOLA
  • fishlessman
    ribeyes are more forgiving and those strips need to come off the grill between 123 and 125 internal. the hot tub mentioned and a higher heat sear of 750 to 800 is a good option with those thin steaks, you might be better off looking for a two inch strip and cutting it in half to cook
    fukahwee maine

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    edited August 2014
    I dont claim to be the best steak cook, but when I do steaks i stand right by the egg. I dont do too much moving around and I have a nice cold beer to keep me company. At the temps of 600+, the meat temps rises very quickly. I have my T-pen un hand or in my pocket. Like @cazzy said, try the reverse sear method or get thicker cuts meat. 

Dont give up on steaks. Maybe you haven't had enough practice. I am still working on my craft and I am no where near some of the vets on this forum. If we have guest, I think of me cooking as PRACTICE.

Ultimately,  Looking at the pics on this forum will humble your thoughts on the meals you prepare. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    this board is my kryptonite.  as soon as I start to feel comfortable with some new recipe or technique or cook, I look on here and somebody has found a way to turn something inside out, stuff it with 19 things and then cook it with 7 different techniques to a precise temp.  it's kryptonite, but I can't stay away.  does that make it heroin?
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    Buy thicker steaks
    New Albany, Ohio 

• lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Brisket.  My best and worst egg results have been with brisket.  

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    Beer is my kryptonite, responsible for more burned up stuff than anything else. As far as steaks go like others have said, skip the thin ones. Thicker the better. Pull off the grate temporarily to check temp. My Thermopop reads inaccurately when sticking meat on the grid and its at 700 dome.
    For you guys with burger woes are you using 70/30 beef or at least 80/20? Shouldnt be that hard. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    + 1 on reverse sear and thicker steaks. A lot more forgiving.
    GWN
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    I still haven't consistently nailed steaks either.  The only thing you can do is take notes and keep trying different things until you "nail" it.  Then keep practicing that techinque.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• fishlessman
    Burgers.. I always cook them to 160 and they dry as can be..
    the worst thing that ever happened to a burger was a thermapen, i refuse to check internal temps of burgers with a temp probe now
    fukahwee maine

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited August 2014
    Steak was my kryptonite - until I started reverse searing. 
    Unless you have a Salamander where you can cook to time because the temp is so consistent, Trex or hot sear cooking is often a crap shoot. 
    Try a reverse sear. Things h-a-p-p-e-n v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y. Indirect at 225º until IT is 5º-10º below target. SWMBO likes hers well done so it goes on 15 minutes before mine and I don't even check the temp - I know it will be well done without the outside being ruined. The slow cook allows the rub to work and add some smoke (just from the lump) flavour - tough to get smoke flavour when you blast a steak for 2 minutes, everything other than salt burns. 
    Put a grid under the setter. When you pull the steaks after the low cook, foil tent on a rack (very important) Pull the setter and open the vents fully - take the DFMT off, the grid under the setter will alreadty be quite hot, especially if it was a CI grid. Within 5 minutes the egg will be roaring - now dab dry the steaks with a paper towel (very important - a dry surface browns due to Mailard reaction a wet surface must steam before it can brown) drop them on for 30 seconds or more a side. 
    Once off - finish with a compound butter if you like. 
    Good luck!
    Current Kryptonite is veggies - just can't get them the way i like them. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Not trying to brag but almost everything I cook is better than any restaurant food. Except..... Pizza! I even went to a cooking class on pizza. I thought they were gonna teach me all the secrets. The class was fun. But their pizza was about the same as mine, average. No worries. I'll get it beat sooner or later.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited August 2014
    I think I have pretty much perfected the steak as it is our favorite. I always start with a steak that is 1.5" or thicker, we like ours Medium rare to medium I always pull them a little before I think they are done, 120-125 and wrap them in foil. They are usually perfect and if someone wants it cooked a little more I just throw it back on the egg with the vents closed for a minute or two and they come up another 5-10 degrees internal temp.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • THEBuckeye
    Emily Ratajkowski
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Pizza, pizza and oh yeah, Pizza
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Kettle one
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • THEBuckeye

Tito's
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Brisket...even my own wife laughs at me when I try to make brisket.

I think the Reverse Sear steak is the cat's meow!  We like a thick crust, but a rare'ish inside, so you just cook it to 110 at somewhere near 300, then nuke up the egg and throw the steaks on for 90 on each side.  BAM!  Perfect Steak!

D

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX