Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Caveman Pork Tenderloin

Jumping on the bandwagon. The kit - costco twopack, rubs, knife, thermapen, LBGE at 300F raised direct and craft beer to start.

Comments

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Caveman sear and serve with another craft beer! My wife said it was awesome three different times without my asking, so I'll be back later!
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    You are my hero!   ^:)^

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    That looks great but you are south of 140 with that much pink right?
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    edited August 2014
    We make these regularly, normally I pull them when the very center or thickest cross section hits 135F or so and they coast up to 140F and over a little depending. The rest of the PT IT is higher, depending on contour. Even when you go over 140F a little they are still pinkish. Either way, that's the way we like 'em, uh huh, uh huh!

In this case the caveman sear added, well, sear, a thin layer of bark and flavor. Started with the PTs having reached around 117F IT raised direct, pulled them off, set them aside and played around with the 'nuggets' that were trimmed off first, to see how they would cook up and how much lump dust they would get on them, since this was our first attempt to join the caveman fraternity. 

Didn't notice any lump residue so set that 'fear' aside. But, the PTs are relatively lean and so by the time the first PT was searing noticed that just leaving it for a minute or two on each side resulted in hot spots (blackening). The second PT was rotated and moved around every 15-20 seconds or so to get a more uniform sear. Not sure what other improvements are needed next time. Maybe start the sear at 10 degrees lower IT and sear a little longer. Or, maybe no changes!