Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I hate to say this!!!

I stopped by Tastylicks Bbq yesterday, in Lancaster, PA. they had a bunch of Kamodo Joe cookers, including the JR. Quality is all there. Equal or better to the BGE. In addition, the accessories that are included are crazy. They also include a split place setter to allow for both direct and indirect on the same cook.....kind of like an AR rig included. And.......regardless of size, relative to a BGE....at least 20-25% less. Thoughts on this....or any potential BGE response. I have a LG and an XL....and bleed green....but you have to look at this situation.
XL, LG, mini (soon)

Comments

• mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    In my direct family (children and their spouses), we have 3 BGE's and one KJ Big Joe. I love cooking on all of them. Doesn't matter where the party is going down... You can bet a Kamado is fired up and smelling good :-c
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I would sell my XL egg in a second for the big Joe with the all stainless hardware. I already sold my small for the KJ junior. It comes down to price. For $400 you can get the KJ junior with all accessories or for $700 you can get the small egg with the same accessories and the KJ junior functions better. That's my 2 cents.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Get whatever you like. Doesn't need to be green. My $29.99 Weber Joe works better in certain situations over my mini. Get what best suits you. Go for it
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    As you note you would be foolish not to look at what is out there. Have a friend who drives BMWs, great cars, but he is not my first choice to ask advice about a Beemer, he has never driven anything else. Lately while looking at KJs at ACE, I too am very impressed. The difference in price is similar to the 20-25% you note in western Canada. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Sacrilege. LOL. What kind of warranty do they have?
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Sacrilege. LOL. What kind of warranty do they have?

The warranty is the same right down to the limited lifetime on ceramics. Glad I didnt short-change myself by NOT being open-minded to different brands....I'm not unhappy with a single one.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    My next cooker will be black and it won't be ceramic. Just sayin...

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • mrw123
    mrw123 Posts: 202
    They look good and I don't doubt the quality or value. But I REALLY wanted to support US manufacturing when I was buying. I know BGE quality is great and I was willing to pay more for a product made here. I fully support everyone spending their own money EXACTLY the way they want though. Just my two cents.
  • DMW
    FWIW, BGE ceramics are Mexico. Bands are I don't know where. Meadow Creek is fabbed in New Holland, PA and they are also a BGE dealer. And they are Amish and awesome.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • mrw123
    mrw123 Posts: 202
    DMW said:

FWIW, BGE ceramics are Mexico. Bands are I don't know where. Meadow Creek is fabbed in New Holland, PA and they are also a BGE dealer. And they are Amish and awesome.

I had no idea they weren't made in the u.s. Guess I wanted to support North American manufacturing? Doesn't quite sound the same. Whoops. Thanks for the correction.
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Wish there was a KJ dealer around here with a JR to look at. I'd probably buy it in a heartbeat.
  • Gogogordy
    mrw123 said:
    I had no idea they weren't made in the u.s. Guess I wanted to support North American manufacturing? Doesn't quite sound the same. Whoops. Thanks for the correction.

At the risk of NOT wanting to take this to a political discussion, its hard (almost impossible) to select product which is 100% "American" in todays world. Even the ubiquitous Harley-Davidson has a fair percentage of foreign parts and components. Many Xerox copiers are produced in China. The list goes on.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    DMW said:
    They make a great rub too!
    Aurora,OH
  • DMW
    @Gogogordy‌ Yep, agree. If you only bought American made you probably wouldn't drive a car, live in your house, use any appliances, etc.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• DMW
    @NervousDad Yes they do. :)
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• After looking through their website thoroughly it looks like a very nice unit.  What I'm wondering is how the hell did BGE's lawyers allow such an obvious ripoff? I mean, every single part is exactly the same. Oh, except it's red or black instead of green.  I don't know copyright law, but it sure seems like BGE dropped the ball on that one.

• I never buy any rub where salt is the main ingredient. And natural hickory smoke flavoring. What the hell is that. Get a real hickory chunk if you want smoke flavor. C'mon people.
    Live on beautiful Lake Hartwell GA
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824

After looking through their website thoroughly it looks like a very nice unit.  What I'm wondering is how the hell did BGE's lawyers allow such an obvious ripoff? I mean, every single part is exactly the same. Oh, except it's red or black instead of green.  I don't know copyright law, but it sure seems like BGE dropped the ball on that one.

Kamado cookers have been around a lot longer than BGE.
    NOLA
  • Gogogordy
    buzd504 said:

After looking through their website thoroughly it looks like a very nice unit.  What I'm wondering is how the hell did BGE's lawyers allow such an obvious ripoff? I mean, every single part is exactly the same. Oh, except it's red or black instead of green.  I don't know copyright law, but it sure seems like BGE dropped the ball on that one.

Kamado cookers have been around a lot longer than BGE.

Exactly. Ancient cooking method/technology discussed....on the internet!
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    I have been looking to add a Small BGE to the family. I contacted my favorite dealer( Fireside Grill, Augusta GA) yesterday for pricing information. I won't give out specific prices since they aren't listed on the website, but a kJ that's set up the same as the BGE( grill, plate setter, nest) costs about $200 less than a BGE. I bleed green but those savings are hard to ignore.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Personally, I really like my Jr. for smaller cooks. The only improvement would be if it had a screen on the bottom vent. I'll look at the MAX when/if it ever comes out....but it would need to rival all of the things I appreciate about the Jr. (nest, stone for offset, etc) for me to upgrade just to get a screen that hasn't been a problem yet.
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • timekpr1
    timekpr1 Posts: 151
    How long has Kamodo Joe cookers been in business?  The inside of my BGE lid has Mexico stamped on it.
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    timekpr1 said:
    How long has Kamodo Joe cookers been in business?  The inside of my BGE lid has Mexico stamped on it.
    Almost 10 years. I believe 2005 was their first year in business.
  • Skiddymarker
    edited August 2014
    If you want US made - aren't Primo's made in the US - including the ceramics? 
    Know some folks with Oval Jrs - very pleased. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I looked at Primo XL before buying my BGE XL.  I think they're even more $ than BGE, accessories too.
  • Skiddymarker
    @Legume - I think it all depends on where you are, shipping on these things is a big part of the cost. My experience is that Primos are a much better buy in Canada than BGE. In fact, Primo Canadian pricing is close to American pricing when you consider the 9-10% conversion of currency. BGE pricing is as much as 40% more in Canada than in the US. In my area (Greater Vancouver BC) A Primo XL is about $1300CDN, an XLBGE is almost $1600CDN. 
    The Primo 18" round is $950CDN and comes with side tables and the equivalent of a nest, while a naked LBGE is $1200CDN, although the dealer might throw in a setter. 
    The same LBGE can be purchased in Bellingham WA for about $775US and an XL is $1200US. The comparable Primos are $765US and $1230US - that's pretty close to the same IMO. 

• The Big Green Egg is made in Monterey Mexico for a reason and it is not to reduce costs. It is manufactured by the Dal-Tile corporation which has several plants across the US but none of the US plants are capable of producing the level of ceramics the Egg is made of. The Egg is made in the same plant that manufactures the ceramic tiles for the Space Shuttle. The Kamado Joe is a much lower grade ceramic and is made in China. Run the temperature of the Big Green Egg and a Kamado Joe up to 500 degrees or so for an hour or more and then take a reading of the outside surface temperature of the domes. They are not the same. If you are really brave throw a bucket of ice water on each of them and see what happens. Lots of Kamado cookers on the market but only one Big Green Egg in my opinion.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I know a lot of guys with them and they are very nice. Only negative is that they don't come with a ceramic cap. Don't think that really matters to most people. I have cooked on them many times and they are great. Having said that, I just bought my 3rd Egg (XL) this week.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC