Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ceramic Grill Works New Prototype--Jalapeno adjustable rack.

Before discussing the new prototype it seems appropriate to first share how and where this information was received.  My husband and I attended a Ceramic Grill 101 Class in cooking on the BGE, Grill Dome, and Kamado Joe on Sunday, 8-17-14 at the Ceramic Grillworks store in Monroeville, PA.  Franco, his family, and friends hosted a good sized group and fed us well off the BGE--as always, delicious.  He shared a wide variety of barbecue sauces, rubs, and marinades. We got to sample many of them.  Kudos to everyone for a good time. 

Franco shared with his fresh from the design phase and production, prototype adjustable rack.  He had it on display for us to see Sunday.  The top rack has quarter sized holes in it to hold jalapeño peppers.  The lower rack has a removable section for the user to place additional lump or smoking woods into the fire box.  Franco gave his permission to share this on the forum.  I didn't ask, but am sure he can give you the answer--it looks like a future grate rack package may be in the making--the options to include the bottom rack, a choice of the two existing racks, or a three pack option that includes both the standard rack and the jalapeño rack.  The new jalapeño rack could bring about a new design in grill marks on steak--polka dots instead of straight lines!   

Thanks Franco for introducing and supporting ceramic grill cooking for so many of us!!

My apologies for not adding a picture as I understand the forum's policy--no picture means it didn't happen.  The company and food took precedence over the cell phone and camera tucked away in our vehicle!   Am sure Franco will post pictures when the prototype is in its final form and ready for sale.  
Knox, PA, Medium, Mini Max, Mini, Large KJ, grandma, handcyclist, eagle watcher, always in search of good chocolate.  

Comments

• Here are the pics. imageimage
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    Interesting... I wonder if people are really grilling that many peppers.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • I grill a ton a peppers. This might be a great idea.
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    I really like the idea of the pepper grill and also the hatch to access the lump. Are these available??
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited August 2014
    I think it looks pretty and well made but I would rather use a couple of the free standing ones that cost $15.
    The free standing units can be loaded easy, moved around on the grill as needed and tossed in the dishwasher to clean. But in the end I'm still old school ABT. Cut in half boat style and wrapped completely in bacon.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    I would use something like this.
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    I like the lower rack with the trap door.  Would not care about the pepper rack.  Unfortunately I have an XL, so it probably won't be available to me anyways.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    looks nice and well built and will definitely attract newbies
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I mis-read this and was thinking the rack for the jalapenos was adjustable.  That'd be nice, since on my existing freestanding rack (the kind posted by @photo egg above), some peppers are too big to fit and some holes are too big to hold the peppers.  How cool would it be if, say, the pepper rack had small/med/lg holes?  Or if the holes were engineered to expand and contract?  I can dream, right?
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    The trap door is cute, but I pretty much never have to add more lump or wood to my egg.  It goes forever.
    NOLA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    how do these vertical pepper racks work with a bacon wrapped pepper?
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I mis-read this and was thinking the rack for the jalapenos was adjustable.  That'd be nice, since on my existing freestanding rack (the kind posted by @photo egg above), some peppers are too big to fit and some holes are too big to hold the peppers.  How cool would it be if, say, the pepper rack had small/med/lg holes?  Or if the holes were engineered to expand and contract?  I can dream, right?
    If the pepper is to small I stick a tooth pick through the pepper to stop it from sliding through the hole.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • @photoegg -- I've done the toothpick trick and I've also jammed larger peppers into the holes -- it works, to a point, and keeps me from going to the boat/cut in 1/2 method, which I don't like as much.  Like so many things, they system is imperfect.  And also like so many things, despite the imperfections, I never have any leftovers.  So maybe this is much ado about nothing.

I don't think I'd do the full-sized grate, though.  As others have said, I like moving the rack around the grill.  And doing multiple racks isn't really a bother.    

All this talk about ABTs has me hungry!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited August 2014
    Legume said:
    Most of them don't. If you want to wrap your pepper with bacon, assuming you have cut the whole stem end off, cleaned, stuffed and then wrapped, you can use two toothpicks or a fine skewer and rib rack. Once positioned vertically, I've had a tough time getting the bacon to stay. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I suppose it would function fine as a normal cooking grid as well.  It does seem a little much for something so specific as grilling peppers.   From the picture it looks like the holes might be a little big and your average size jalapeno will fall through.  

If you could cook drumsticks vertically that might be cool.  I didn't feel like counting but looks like at least 35 holes.  

It also might be nice to use with a spider to get polka-dot sear marks. :D

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Legume said:
    Most of them don't. If you want to wrap your pepper with bacon, assuming you have cut the whole stem end off, cleaned, stuffed and then wrapped, you can use two toothpicks or a fine skewer and rib rack. Once positioned vertically, I've had a tough time getting the bacon to stay. 
    good point @ skiddymarker. 
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Heck, I would buy it just for the wacky grill marks! Alas, I have an XL. :(
    Flint, Michigan
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I've always had a problem with the holes being too small once the pepper is wrapped with bacon. Plus most people don't like the pepper to bacon and filling ratio. I'll stick with the "boat" method and keep my money in my pocket.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• I'm sure Franco would expand to all of the sizes at some point. If this is built like the current model, it will be awesome. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Griffin said:
    I've always had a problem with the holes being too small once the pepper is wrapped with bacon. Plus most people don't like the pepper to bacon and filling ratio. I'll stick with the "boat" method and keep my money in my pocket.
    I guess you could just skip the bacon...

...now I'm just talking nonsense!!!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    Griffin said:
    I guess you could just skip the bacon...

...now I'm just talking nonsense!!!

I'd rather skip the pepper than the bacon!!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Just buy 2 or 3 self-standing pepper racks and save money for more lump.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    Looks overspec'ed for the purpose but suppose the popper tier could substitute for the normal second tier of the CGW two-tier swing rack set-up.  Agree that the "trap-door" is nice but certainly not necessary.  I'm sure it will be quality engineered but not sure of the real market.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I've actually been putting chopped bacon in the filling. Easier to assemble.
    Dunedin, FL