Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Himalayan Salt Block SALE!!!

Options

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Prices look very good when considering shipping is included on some. Richard, do you have any experience with lava stones, kinda like a flameless fondue? Been considering getting one. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited August 2014
    Options

Prices look very good when considering shipping is included on some. Richard, do you have any experience with lava stones, kinda like a flameless fondue? Been considering getting one. 

Only when in the Navy in Hawaii ' 67-'69 and the natives cooked luau  pigs in the ground with lava rocks red hot.  Back about 10 years ago we went to a steak house in Savannah GA and they served the food on slabs of some kind of hot rock.  Don't see why a salt block would not work.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Thanks for the response. there is no salt transfer with a lava rock as I recall. Same thing as you note, went to a restaurant where they served you a hot stone and you cooked your own. 
    Thanks for the link, tad more money than a salt block, eh?
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    Would the 8x1.5 round salt plates crack in a mini with no plate setter? Smooth or natural?

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• Buckfannon
    Options
    Are these salt blocks safety tested so you can be confident they won't explode at mid to high heat? I had a cheap one that blew up one night at only 450 or 475. Good thing the dome was down!
  • BigGreenPackerFan
    Options
    The spec sheet states it handles temperatures up to 450 so I think I would be careful in the egg. SaltRox now makes a 13" Round 2" Thick that is rated all the way to 700 degrees and a lifetime warranty. www.saltrox.com
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    SmyrnaGA said:
    Would the 8x1.5 round salt plates crack in a mini with no plate setter? Smooth or natural?

I use an 8" square 1 1/2" thick natural and have had a few small cracks over the 4 years I have had it.  Use about once every 4-6 weeks.  When it eventually is no longer useful for cooking will break up and add pieces to my6 salt grinder.

• Richard Fl
    Options
    The spec sheet states it handles temperatures up to 450 so I think I would be careful in the egg. SaltRox now makes a 13" Round 2" Thick that is rated all the way to 700 degrees and a lifetime warranty. www.saltrox.com

I have had my small too 550F with the salt block and it is still whole 4 years and about 20 cooks later.  I does have some cracks and will eventually end up in my salt grinder.