Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Your best, simple methods and recipies

Options
2»

Comments

• grin_phi
    grin_phi Posts: 53
    Options
    Thanks for all the great suggestions so far. I hope they keep coming. One thing's for sure, if I follow all recommendations, I'll be cooking drunk!

Chicken is clearly a popular, simple meat to cook - and I agree. Will be trying some of these methods.

@YEMTrey & @SeahawksEGGHead - I really love ribs done well and haven't had the best luck with baby backs - going to keep it simple as you suggest and hope for better results. What texture do you expect when you do this by the way?

@westernbbq - love steak on the egg, bang on. 

• grin_phi
    grin_phi Posts: 53
    Options
    Oh @Smokeypitt - Great video. Watched some of the others too. Really good fun and easy to follow. A great resource along with Amazingribs.com and here of course.
  • SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    I have not yet done baby backs, when St Louis turns out so well why mess with it?  I've tried the 3-2-1 on ribs, but on the egg, I just run straight through for around 6-7 hours.  Last weekend, the ribs were tender, juicy, with a competition texture.  Single bite at the middle of the rib leave teeth marks.  It's not fall off the bone (or some would say mushy) but I could certainly slide the bone from the meat cleanly.  I would do ribs every weekend if I could, but the wife tells me she's getting sick of ribs.  I told her I didn't understand...
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    Options
    I love making soup and this is one of my favorites. I made up the recipe after visiting Olive Garden and looking at there's. I guess you could make it on the BGE if you want to. It is very good on a cold winter night.

Pasta e Fagioli

Ingredients

2-28oz. cans Diced Tomatoes with Garlic, Oregano, and Basil
    1-28oz. can Crushed Tomatoes with Basil
    1-48oz. can Chicken Broth
    1-28oz. can Pork and Beans drained and rinsed
    2-15-1/2oz. cans Chili Hot Beans drained and rinsed
    15-20 Cloves Garlic Chopped
    ¼ C. Olive Oil

2- Stalks’ Celery slice in 1/8” pieces

2- Large Carrots peeled and Julienned
    1-1/2lbs. Italian Sausage Sliced and Browned
    3-T each Oregano and Basil
    Fresh Ground Pepper and Salt to Taste
    1-pound Ditalini (Little Thimbles) Pasta cooked and drained

Instructions
    In large fry pan brown sausage and set aside to drain on

paper towels. In same pan cook the celery until softened.

In large soup pot place Olive Oil, Oregano, Basil and Chopped

Garlic and sauté until Garlic is clear but do not burn. Add Salt

and Pepper to taste. Place all ingredients except pasta into pot

and simmer over low heat for 1-1/2 to 2 hours. Put Pasta in

Bowls and add soup.

Serve with fresh Italian Bread

• SidZer0
    SidZer0 Posts: 45
    Options
    Whole fillet of Salmon
    Tony Chachere Creole seasoning
    Turbinado Sugar
    Mesh Cooking Screen
    Hickory chunks

Liberally rub a 50/50 combination of the TCCS and Turbinado on the flesh side of fillet and let cure uncovered, on top of raised mesh screen, in refrigerator for at least 48 hrs.  After 48hrs. rinse off cure and pat dry with paper towels.  Preheat Egg to 250, throw on your Hickory chunks (I usually use around 4 good size ones) and cook indirect on mesh screen for 30-45 min or until albumin (white stuff) is visible on flesh.  Best salmon ever.  Perfect on a toasted bagel with cream cheese and red onion.

Jax, FL
  • grin_phi
    Options
    Awesome suggestions all. 

@seahawksEGGhead - gonna do St Louis this weekend, fingers crossed for a good result.

@SidZer0 - Salmon is definitely coming soon. 
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options

Simplicity is one of the greatest features of the BGE.

here's my simple, never fail, wow the crowd BGE produced meal:

New York Steaks 1.5" thick, on cast iron grid INDIRECT

Baked or 2x Baked potatoes

Corn in husk

Simple simple simple, never fails to amaze.  little to no prep work (unless you do 2x baked taters)  Gotta have cast iron grid for steaks, rig extender and adj rig for potatoes (which cook for about 45 mins at 400 or so, then split, gut, and mx with sour cream and cheese and re-stuff the 1/2 skins) and the corn cooks for about 25 or so mins

• Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Options
    Hot dogs wrapped in BACON!!!  Indirect around 300 until the bacon crisps.

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA
  • GaryLange
    Options
    Farbuck said:

Love Francheeses! I hope you put cheese in them before wrapping with bacon. I made 16 of them last winter and will make them again soon.
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Farbuck said:

I've been doing the same with chicken breast 375 indirect till crisp.