Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help needed not in regards to BGE!

Football season is right around the corner and I want a new TV...However, not sure which one I should get looking at LED SMART TV's and thinking Samsung or Vizio...These are some problems I'm faced with all the time...Looking for some help and advice from my BGE family!

Comments

• stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    I have a visio 70 inch. Costco. I love it
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• bearBGE
    bearBGE Posts: 129
    @stevesails which series do you have E or M?  120 or 240 HZ?

• stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    The 3d version. 240 Hz. Not sure which series. Bought it a year ago
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    I have a 40' Visio. E series from last year. 120 hz. Not bad for the occasional viewing in the bedroom. However it isn't close to my 8 yr. old Panasonic plasma. That tv friggin rocks.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Damn @tulocay‌ That's a big ass TV! =))
    NW IOWA
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    I was talked out of Vizio and into a Samsung and LG.  Have been happy with both so far.
  • kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Have a vizio hate my LG,  the speakers on my LG are in the back, the speakers on my Vizio on front,
    makes a huge diff.  Have the surround sound hooked up but rarely use it.
    2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I have a 42" vizio in the garage I think its 120hz but not sure. Its been great. Also have 60' sharp 240hz in the living room and its picture is amazing. When Costco runs their specials the prices are hard to beat.
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    I don't watch TV often, but when I do it's a Sony.
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I have a Sony 55" XBR 240hz. It is about 4 years old best TV I have ever had. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    60 inch Samsung LED with a Sony sound bar added, very satisfied. I passed on the Smart features. Whatever you get add separate sound bar, speakers etc. Today flat screens sound by it self all suck, not enough room to put any decent size speakers in them.
    Jacksonville FL
  • I've bought 3 samsung smart tvs from BJ's at very good prices -- very satisfied with them.  They're not as good a picture quality as my sony or sharp aquos, but for the price and the smart function, you can't beat them.  

I'm about to go back today for a 46 inch to put in a spot where the 36 is just too small.  My questionis:  Do I ask permission or forgiveness of Wifey for this purchase?
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I still have the Samsung 50" plasma. Two of them. I dread the day the kaput. 32" Vizio in the cave. It's ok. I guess it really depends on your pocketbook and how important it is...99 wait, it's for football. It's important. They have the new curved screen.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    I got a 65 inch Panasonic plasma and it's pretty F'n awesome., :D
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354

I'm about to go back today for a 46 inch to put in a spot where the 36 is just too small.  My question is:  Do I ask permission or forgiveness of Wifey for this purchase?
      Its always easier to be forgiven than asking for permission.....
    Jacksonville FL
  • tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    80" vizio m series. It's big but crappy, remote don't wanna work half the time and if I use the smart features it freezes.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Lit said:
    I have a 42" vizio in the garage I think its 120hz but not sure. Its been great. Also have 60' sharp 240hz in the living room and its picture is amazing. When Costco runs their specials the prices are hard to beat.
    Almost identical setup for me, two smaller vizios and the 60" 240hz Sharp for main tv.  I've been very happy with both brands. However, I wanted to buy a Samsung for my big tv, I think it's a better picture, but that screen is glossy and my main room has lots of windows, so I went with the Sharp d/t the matte screen.  I haven't regretted it at all.
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    @Philly35‌ Ha! I guess 40' would be huge. Meant 40" of course. I still think nothing beats Plasma!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    Legume said:
    Lit said:
    Almost identical setup for me, two smaller vizios and the 60" 240hz Sharp for main tv.  I've been very happy with both brands. However, I wanted to buy a Samsung for my big tv, I think it's a better picture, but that screen is glossy and my main room has lots of windows, so I went with the Sharp d/t the matte screen.  I haven't regretted it at all.
    i went with a sharp as well because of the big windows and refected light off the lake bouncing across the ceiling, very happy with the sharp 60 aquos. never had a tv that took me days to setup the picture and having to google how people had set them up near water though. once setup its great
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    I have a 50" LG 3D. I'm going to be honest in the two years we've owned it I've only used the 3D glasses 2 times. Besides that the picture is good. The sound was pretty bad but you pretty much expect that from a tv now. I hooked it up to a surround sound system and it worked well. We have a 40" Vizio in the bedroom that I like as well.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • BGE Dealer and EggHead since 2013. Find our company on Facebook
    Large BGE
    Waterloo, IL
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I have a 55" Samsung 3D Smart TV in the house.  Absolutely love it.  Wired up to my home theater.  My daughter and I love watching movies in 3D.  I love the one on one time with her just as much. I can connect to NetFlix, etc through the TV.  Have a PS3 and ChromeCast hooked up to it as well.  Only problem I've had is that the internet browser function on the tv is a little choppy.

Great picture with movies, video games, sports, etc.

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Just to throw this out there but I would consider checking out similar TVs that are not necessarily smart TV.  You might find that for the same TV the "smart" version is hundreds of dollar more. You could just get a roku, chromecast, or Amazon Fire and make any TV smart.  It is nice not to have extra remote controls and have everything in one unit, but it might save you some money.  Also sometimes the apps built into the TVs suck anyway.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokeyPitt
    tjosborne said:
    80" vizio m series. It's big but crappy, remote don't wanna work half the time and if I use the smart features it freezes.
    I have a Vizio TV in my son's room and the apps suck.  It's funny they used to be okay but they update automatically and recently they just plain suck.  Laggy and freezie.  It has buttons for Netflix, Amazon, etc.  You press the button and nothing...then 5 minutes later it pops up.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    2 of my 3 tvs are 'smart' and I don't use any of that functionality, it's klunky to me.  That's just what came with the tvs that had the specs I wanted.  I have one apple tv that I use for netflix, MLB.TV, etc.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    In my basement man cave I have a 42" Philips plasma that is about 10 years old (It was BIG when I bought it).  someday I will upgrade to a bigger and smart TV, but the picture on this thing ROCKS.  If I could get another plasma, I would, as long as it is going in the basement.  Not sure for a room with lots of windows though.

Smart does not mean much to me,  I have an AppleTV that gives me all the smarts I need plus lots more I don't use
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited August 2014
    Samsung 52" LCD that I got from Brandsmart about 6yrs ago.  It was such a good deal that prices are just now getting down to same level.  Brandsmart is great but you have to go in there knowing what you want and stick to your guns because the salesmen in there are like barkers for the carnival and will try and up sale you on anything and everything.  LG we used to have in the bedroom pulled a poltergeist and would come on at random to static and full volume.  Only way to get it off was unplug....CRAZY!! 

Just remember that the mounting brackets are where costs are high.  Research for a good deal on that if hanging on wall. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    mounting brackets are overrated
    :D

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokeyPitt
    edited August 2014
    A didn't know they had rednecks up in Maine! ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k7th8C-BRc

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I have a Smart Samsung 1080 240hz 3D Plasma television. I've owned it two years now and have zero complaints. My next TV will also be a Samsung Plasma for the basement. Hard to beat for the quality and price
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota