Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Challenge

Options
I was challenged to a rib throw down. Here is the issue. The throw down is supposed to happen at the end of the work day. I've got to work that day so I can't really bring the ribs in hot or even FTC them. We are serving them at a meeting at the end of the day. We will have gassers to reheat them. Any recommendations on how to reheat or cook?
Mark Annville, PA

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Take your egg to work and cook fresh. If u must reheat then food saver and put into a simmering pot of water for about 45 minutes.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I would think you could cook them to within 30 minutes of being done and then sauce and finish them on the gasser.  They should have plenty of smoke by then.

NOLA
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Have your wife cook them and have her sneak them into your office while yall are in the meeting. :-\"
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

I sent some ribs to a friend of mine through a friend that had come for dinner one night. I too a half rack and cryoed it and told him to reheat tit in some simmering water.

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Hmmm, what if you refrigerated the ribs after your FTC and then bring them in still in the foil.  Never having been unwrapped, all the moisture/gelatin is still in there.  Then heat them up on the grill at low heat, still in the tightly wrapped foil.  Rest again until you are ready to serve,  unwrap, cut, amaze your coworkers!  Or take them out for a quick sauce glaze on the grill if needed.

You could claim that your ribs are so good, they stand on their own and don't need sauce to hide mistakes.  Then just serve it on the side to prove your point.

That's what I'd do.  Low risk of losing any moisture.  Everybody sees the reveal at the end while you watch the other guy's ribs drying out on the gasser.  :)

This is all a guess.  I've never tried it, BTW.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    If you typically sauce your ribs then most techniques call for a finish stage where you throw them on the egg and sauce them.  Just cook the ribs until they are ready to finish, and then wrap them well and refrigerate.  Take them into the office in a cooler and finish them on the gasser.  Put them on the grill for a while bone side down until they start to warm up.  If you can, heat the sauce as well so you aren't putting it on cold.  Slap on some warmed up sauce, flip, repeat until you get the color you want.   I have done this before and I used my egg to finish them off, but for the short time it takes to finish I don't think it will hurt them to use a gasser. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    Options
    I was challenged to a rib throw down. Here is the issue. The throw down is supposed to happen at the end of the work day. I've got to work that day so I can't really bring the ribs in hot or even FTC them. We are serving them at a meeting at the end of the day. We will have gassers to reheat them. Any recommendations on how to reheat or cook?

A rib throw down trumps work every time.  Your boss should know that.  Taking off from work is mandatory whenever a rib throw down is challenged. If the boss doesn't agree, it's time to find a new job.

Living Large and XL

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    @lilwooty‌ I just started this job in July. I
    I'm a principal so there is no time to take off this early in the year. Besides, if I have to go to work in the evening I may as well work all day.
    Mark Annville, PA