Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FoodSaver

Hey if anyone is watching tv ,QVC has a foodsaver on for $89 ,  Anyone happen to have one , worth the money?
2 LBGE
Digi Q
green Thermapen
AR

Albuquerque, NM

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Just like my eggs themselves I will also always have a Food Saver! BTW what model was it? $89 sounds low end, but maybe a good deal on one that typically retails for $119.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Can't remember what we paid for our Foodsaver. But I can tell you it's a must have appliance in our kitchen. We use it almost everyday.
    I recommend.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Hell even if its a crappy one i'll save more than that one chesse and lunchmeat me toss out because it goes bad in the fridge :) . Also i can return it within 30 days if its bad
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • RRP
    llrickman said:
    Hell even if its a crappy one i'll save more than that one chesse and lunchmeat me toss out because it goes bad in the fridge :) . Also i can return it within 30 days if its bad

true, but what you will soon learn is the FS brand bags and material are expensive and you might end up spending dollars to save pennies of food! There are other brands of bags but as the old saying goes they ought to give you the sealer as their money is made on the bags!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    RRP said:

llrickman said:

true, but what you will soon learn is the FS brand bags and material are expensive and you might end up spending dollars to save pennies of food! There are other brands of bags but as the old saying goes they ought to give you the sealer as their money is made on the bags!

Wise words here. I've been thinking lately that the short time my leftover pulled pork stays in the freezer, I need to skip vacuum sealing it and just use zip lock freezer bags.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    The real saving is cheese at our house. A 2# loaf of mozza makes 4 pizzas, cut the loaf into 4 pieces, plastic wrap three, then into one 8" food saver bag. When needed, open the bag, take out one chunk of cheese and then reseal. Lasts for 6 weeks at our place. 
    Like @DMW said - for leftovers zip locks work as we try to eat them up within a couple of weeks. 
    Love the foodsaver -great for spices and herbs.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    My wife purchased a V4860 for my birthday from Amazon. Looking forward to using it! Where do you get your freezer bag refills?
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    A foodsaver triples the amount of time you can freeze something.  Depends on what it is, but I couldn't live without mine.
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    dihtn said:
    My wife purchased a V4860 for my birthday from Amazon. Looking forward to using it! Where do you get your freezer bag refills?

Costco for me

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600

I have the 2450 and it works well, who has the inside scoop on the best place to buy refill Bags/Rolls

Thanks,

Chuck

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • RRP
    dihtn said:
    Where do you get your freezer bag refills?

I buy the 8" rolls whenever we get the 30% off coupons at Kohls. Otherwise I have literally purchased hundreds and hundreds of preformed bags from The Sweet Attack. I will try to post a link, but lately any time I post a link this forum won't let me do it so let me see if I can outsmart it
  • RRP
    edited August 2014
    .http://www.thesweetattack.com/page/page/1617042.htm Hehehe I fooled the dragon at the moat!
  • Love my foodsaver, the ball glass Jar sealer is the best, potatoe chips last a couple of months if I don't eat them right away
    Suwanee Georgia - suburb north of Atlanta
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    My Foodsaver is essential for saving meat, home-picked fruit (e.g., persimmons), spaghetti sauce from home grown tomatoes, etc.  I have the vertical V3880, but if I were to buy one today I would get the Gamesaver.  You can save money by buying Weston bags.  They work fine in the Foodsaver.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    My Foodsavor earns it's keep every year with mangoes. I have two mango trees in the yard. They produce a lot of great fruit in a short period of time. Far more than we can use fresh. Frozen in vac bags it will keep great until next year's crop arrives.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I found mine new on Craigslist for $5 or something around that price. It's a lower end version but seals without issues. Might be worth a look on Craigslist if not sure how much you would use it
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Sixpack1
    Sixpack1 Posts: 189
    I have a FS 2200 series and we use the crap out of it. I don't know if it's a low end model or what but we haven't been able to kill it. Fresh fruit, veggies, sauces, meat, you name it that thing is a beast. I even have my motorcycle registration and insurance cards sealed up and taped under my seat on my Ultra...
    The Gator Nation, Central Florida
    LARGE & MINI  Life is good...
    GO GATORS!!!

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I bought a Food Saver V3240 on Amazon about a month ago for $86. It usually sells for $139. I like it so far. Better than zip locks.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.