Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

1st Brisket- trying the Travis method!

Just a small flat. Hopefully my neighbors didn't see me outside in my pj's with a beer (for the Travis method) this morning! A couple questions.... No foil during the cook, right? Also, if I am going to FTC it this afternoon do I do it to the whole pan liquid and all or just the meat? I want to save the liquid to make gravy.
·

Comments

• TNeggTNegg Posts: 89
    Couple photos!
    image.jpg 1.8M
    image.jpg 1.9M
    ·
    Poor guy hasn't moved since I put the brisket on!
    image.jpg 3.8M
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 5,856
    I haven't tried this but I think I remember seeing it posted a time or two :P. 

I would go no foil, then FTC the meat only. Pour the drippings in a container and put in the fridge if you have time, then you can skim the excess fat of the top before you make the gravy.  You could use a fat separator but if you have time the refrigerator method works good.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
    @ SmokeyPitt... thanks! I'm almost ready to pull it off and I was afraid no one was going to reply in time! It smells like heaven!
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 13,527
    @TNegg‌. ..if you're taking pics with your phone...turn it sideways and the pics will come out straight. Beer in the morning in your jammies. ..nice.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
    Verdict is.... Delicious! Even my picky eaters came back for seconds!
    image.jpg 2.3M
    image.jpg 1.7M
    ·
  • Who's Travis? And isn't that just braising and not really smoking a brisket?
    ·
    @ biggreenpharmacist...I'll let an old timer answer the Travis question... I got it from a popular thread on here.  Yes it is braising which was perfect for my 1st brisket and also because some members of my family don't like too much smoke.... but they are slowly being converted! I have completed two low and slows and during both I maintained a perfect temp for the first 75% of the cook and then had trouble with temps dropping towards the end.  I'm not going to try to smoke a brisket until I get that figured out.... but even if it is braising it was delicious!  
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 5,856
    It looks wonderful @TNegg.  Is that homemade brisket gravy on those mashed potatoes?  Count me in! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·