Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

This is a FIRE Hazard

2»

Comments

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited August 2014
    KiterTodd said:
    Has anyone heard of a fire in a closed up egg, in a nest?

...just trying to evaluate my risk just going to bed with the egg on the deck after cooking dinner.   I am guessing I'm okay.  Maybe if a big wind storm comes up I'd want to figure out a way to snuff it out better.  (light watering?)
    my egg burnt almost thru 2 inch thick boards before i found it balancing there in the morning about to tip over, fortunately i had a metal bucket underneath that caught the hot embers before hitting the deck. no big cooks on the deck anymore for me. all my eggs are off the deck except for the mini for short cooks
    I hear you, but remind me, wasn't your egg in a table?
    I do believe there is an inherent risk with having anything flammable on a wooden deck, but every egg fire I have heard about has been table related (ember trapped or the table itself getting so hot that it smoulders for a long time and later catches).

Let me correct that, I think there was a story about someone's egg cracking/splitting and spilling out on the deck as well.   BUT, a closed up egg in nest which had always had adequate ventilation...  Any fires anyone has heard about?

There is an inherent risk with building any fire on a deck in any vessel.  I understand that for certain.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    If you are concerned about the fire getting going again, it would be a good idea to have a remote thermometer with an alarm. Leave it on after your egg has cooled and set to warn you if it is heating up again.

That's a good idea, thanks!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    KiterTodd said:
    KiterTodd said:

...just trying to evaluate my risk just going to bed with the egg on the deck after cooking dinner.   I am guessing I'm okay.  Maybe if a big wind storm comes up I'd want to figure out a way to snuff it out better.  (light watering?)
    my egg burnt almost thru 2 inch thick boards before i found it balancing there in the morning about to tip over, fortunately i had a metal bucket underneath that caught the hot embers before hitting the deck. no big cooks on the deck anymore for me. all my eggs are off the deck except for the mini for short cooks
    I hear you, but wasn't your egg in a table?
    I do believe there is an inherent risk with having anything flammable on a wooden deck, but every egg fire I have heard about has been table related (ember trapped or the table itself getting so hot that it smoulders for a long time and later catches).

Let me correct that, I think there was a story about someone's egg cracking/splitting and spilling out on the deck as well.   BUT, a closed up egg in nest which had always had adequate ventilation...  Any fires anyone has heard about?

There is an inherent risk with building any fire on a deck.  I understand that for certain.
    not sure natureboy from dizzypig had his in a nest but his egg was in the driveway and an ember blew into the garage when he lost the house. fire is always dangerous no matter what you do, any bbq on a deck is dangerous, my neighbor lost part of his house, the skin from elbows to fingertips, and almost his wife from a gasser on the deck. theres always a risk factor when playing with fire
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Should post this this too as many Forums as possible!

Maybe even to BGE HQ.  Lot of uneducated dealers have no clue, sorry to say.
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    I do love these threads that bring awareness.

It's really up to every individual who uses a grill/smoker to understand fire safety. Talk to a fire marshall, and I don't think you will hear them say it is a good idea to have a charcoal cooker anywhere near combustable material. Compared to other charcoal cookers, the EGG is actually a pretty safe sealed environment. It is very easy to get comfortable with the seemingly sealed and safe environment that the EGG offers. 

But there is fire in there folks, and you cannot possibly predict all the things that could happen. Awareness is good! Safe cookin y'all.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    KiterTodd said:
    KiterTodd said:

I hear you, but wasn't your egg in a table?

There is an inherent risk with building any fire on a deck.  I understand that for certain.
    not sure natureboy from dizzypig had his in a nest but his egg was in the driveway and an ember blew into the garage when he lost the house. fire is always dangerous no matter what you do, any bbq on a deck is dangerous, my neighbor lost part of his house, the skin from elbows to fingertips, and almost his wife from a gasser on the deck. theres always a risk factor when playing with fire
    Hey Fishless!! Hope you are well brother.
    The egg was in a nest in my driveway approx 10 feet from the entrance to the garage. The fire started 20 feet from the egg. Fire marshall called it "freak"….but **** happens! Cheers
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited August 2014

Why is Vanilla so crappy about being able to post photos from photo bucket?
  • Maybe some day my house will burn down, since I am one of those who is not in a panic mode about wood BGE tables on wood decks.  I built a new WOOD table after using the old one for 8 years. When I tore the old table apart the varnish on the wood underneath the BGE was not even discolored. I think common sense works. The egg had an air gap (feet) & was sitting on a floor tile (not a cheap one since I needed a super large one the right color).

I, as most of you do, use those things called drip pans picked up at Costco or Sam's for a few cents each, so there never have been extra fires inside the egg. 

Air is about 40 times better than concrete as an insulator, so if I did not have an air gap, I would also use at least 2 of those ugly pavers under the egg.

PS, the new table I built is wood and the bottom is open like the old one so there is air flow around the 'hot' area. The new table is on a concrete patio, but that is because we moved, not because of a fire concern.  Next time I do a pizza, am going to measure the temp. of the floor tile & the bottom of the egg.
  • I have the metal egg stand the goes in the table. I paid like $20. It raises the egg and gives it about 1-1/2" clearance. I think it is called a table nest. It gives me piece if mind.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    HDmstng said:

What would be nice is an outdoor fire detection system.  Haven't found much yet, but the seem to go along the lines of thermal imaging cameras.  Those aren't going to be cheap, and there are some technical issues to work out as well such as false alarms while using the Egg.

If you have the dough it is available. CaptiveAire, Ansul, Delau and Cintas to name just a few of the manufactures that have commercial kitchen hoods w/ fire suppression built in.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    yzzi said:

That's why I ditched the table and went back to the nest.

Likewise, after a table fire, I use a nest and a stand-alone metal table.
    Kemah, TX