Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Monday $hi+ Sammy!

Options
NPHuskerFL
NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
edited August 2014 in Off Topic
Worked close till to 2AM Sunday/Monday. Woke up to a call advising our doors are closing after 25 yrs of excellent service. It's a tough pill to swallow but, I truly admire and respect the owner for calling me VS a "mass" BS email like I've seen before. It has been a sad Monday to say the very least. I don't mean to be a Debby Downer but, this was MY Monday.
LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    A twelve of Yuengling, a hair cut, shave and a good attitude and I'm good. >:)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    edited August 2014
    Options
    ... (Double post)
  • ChillyWillis
    Options
    Like I said on another thread keep your head up. When one door closes another one opens. I hope both you and your employer who you so obviously admire can find your way through this.

Stay strong.
  • ChillyWillis
    Options
    A shot of bourbon may help ya hit the hay as well, just saying...
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Thanks @ChillyWillis‌ funny I've been on this road before. Me and my family will be bueno. But, it sucks. I'm still trying to process it. But, no time to reflect as I am still a MAN & as I was brought up a Husker :-D I am the provider. So, here I go starting tomorrow hitting the pavement hard. My wife has already been updating my resumé. She is my ROCK!!!!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    Damn Blake, sorry to hear that...I'm sure with your experience and attitude you'll find something in no time. Let me know if you need anything!
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    I've gotta an interview I lined up after about an hour of getting the horrible news. My previous employer called and recommended me. Pretty dang cool! We'll see! Thanks Brian B-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Man that sucks... hopefully this turns out to be nothing more than a bump in the road for you. Good luck!
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Sorry to hear the news. Like others have said keep your head up and keep moving forward. Hope the interview works out for you!!!!
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    That's a good boss/owner you have there! At least like you said he delivered the news personally and is helping you find a new place to land. Best of luck in the search, fingers crossed it's a short one!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    It's great he's got a good word in for you. I'm sure that this wasn't his master plan! Go get em Blake!
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Best of luck! Sending you a PM.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Cymbaline65
    Options
    Sorry to hear. We went through a RIF of 40k in February. I dodged the bullet but two of my colleagues didn't. If I were you, I'd take the rest of the week off, cook some really unhealthy chow on the Egg and watch movies. Hit the ground hard on Monday.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Hang in there Blake and family.  Hopefully this leads to something better.  
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Sorry to hear the news Husker.  From what I've seen from you on this forum, I'm sure you will bulldoze your way into a new and better situation.  Good luck with the interview!
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    Damn man....Ive been through that a couple times and its a kick in the gut for sure. You have much needed skills my friend and Freaktown needs them. You  will land on your feet. Good luck bro.
    Jacksonville FL
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Man, tough news for sure. Best wishes for a better than before outcome.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    Hey man we've all been there before. 2 months after relocating for a job the company closed it's door. Effectively they fired 400 people that day. It took me 3 months to find a new job. Keep your chin up your family knows your still a man and a good provider. On the plus side you'll probably have a few good egging day.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I feel for you. I have been going through it as well the last year. I worked for a consulting outfit that has changed their focus, I have been working hard all year to get out there I know it is going to happen soon. Best of luck @NPHuskerFL!

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• HendersonTRKing
    Options
    That BLOWS.  I see too much of this in my line of work and it's good to hear you've at least got a stand up owner.  And good "internal support"!  That make the difference in good times and bad.
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options

Sorry to hear. We went through a RIF of 40k in February. I dodged the bullet but two of my colleagues didn't. If I were you, I'd take the rest of the week off, cook some really unhealthy chow on the Egg and watch movies. Hit the ground hard on Monday.

Not my style. I'm hitting the ground running today. It's time to move forward and not dwell on this. I will miss them all though. They were all awesome to work with FWIW.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Best of luck..I love your spirit and I agree the only way to tackle this is head on..I look forward to hearing about your new job.... :-c
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Sixpack1
    Sixpack1 Posts: 189
    Options
    Positivism breeds positivism, you'll do fine with that attitude... 
    The Gator Nation, Central Florida
    LARGE & MINI  Life is good...
    GO GATORS!!!

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Get some and good luck w the search.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Had my $hit sammich just short of 2 months ago. I'll be starting my next job on Monday. Keep your head up!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Bad news for sure. I'm sure you'll be fine my friend....good luck and hope you get a great job.
  • tkleager
    tkleager Posts: 539
    Options
    Keep fighting man!
    No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
    Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
    Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Why is the owner closing the doors?  Is he just tired of working that hard or is the business no longer profitable?  If it is still profitable what is the possibility of a few employees pulling together and purchasing it?

I have a childhood friend that did that for a smallish manufacturer back in WI.  He turned it into a dominant player in its niche and took a lot of his buds that still lived back there along for the ride.  All concerned have done very well for themselves.
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options

@NPHuskerFL I hate that you have to walk that road.

Not that it matters to your situation, but do know that I appreciate your attitude more than you will ever know. I was the guy on the other side, the business owner doing the laying off and trying to be honorable about it. To the tune of 4 separate layoffs and nearly 400 people.

Many of the people I laid off were 2nd and even 3rd generation employees in our small community. It took me years to get over it, and some of them never did.

There were guys like you who appreciated my effort and immediately moved on, and those that still won't speak to me.

You clearly have a specialized and marketable skill set, and I know you will land on your feet in no time. Cheers to you sir.

XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer