Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

big sirloins

Options
fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,754
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
8c023dba.jpg
<p />these big sirloins must be the most underrated steak on the forum. everyones cooking ribeyes, tenderloins, prime ribs. at 3.69 cut any size i want these big sirloins are my favorite. good flavor and texture, not like the other steaks at all.
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    fishlessman,
    those look great, but no offense, if you want the most underrated steak you've ever eaten, try a hanger steak (you need a good specialty butcher to carry them). . .. ubelievable flavor. ...makes most other steaks taste like cardboard. . .i have to go downtown washington once a month for meetings, and i make it a point to stop at eastern market where there is a butcher that carries them, and i buy some to freeze so that i can have them a couple of times per month...

• Ironbaugh
    Options
    fishlessman,
    I totally agree. I think the flavor is better than any other cut out there. Just not quite as tender. Great New Years to all eggheads.

• Ironbaugh
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Max-- Is a hanger steak the same as a flat iron steak?

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Ironbaugh ,
    no its not. . .rummrunner will hopefully weigh in here with his expertise, but my understanding is that the flatiron comes off the blade chuck roast. ..the hanger steak is actually the muscle that hangs from and connects the diaphram to the rib cage (hence its name). ...there is only per cow. ...weighs about 1 1/2 pounds, and its really tender. ....very big in french bistros, and its also referred to as the 'butcher's steak' as butchers in the know wouldn't even sell them, they'd just take them home for themselves. . ..[p]while it is very lean, there is a slender piece of connective tissue that runs down the middle. ..typically, its cut in half, the tissue is removed, then each half is butterflied, pounded a couple of times, then fast grilled (at this point it is a pretty thin cut of meat. ... takes marinade really well. ...at tony bourdain's restaurant (les halles), they marinade it in soy sauce shallots, then fast grill it. ...served with pomme frites. ...fantastic. . ..[p]i typically marinade them whole, then grill them in a 500 degree egg direct till rare/medium rare inside (about 3 minutes per side). ..then carve them into medalions to serve. ....[p]it has a very beefy flavor to it, and is very tender, not like flank or skirt steak. . ..

• fishlessman
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    up here that hanger would be a special order high priced piece of meat, same with those tritip roasts. cant wait to try them, but not willing to pay the price, eventually they will be more common as places seem to be better stocked every year

fukahwee maine

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    fishlessman,
    gotcha. ..i dont' know how far you are from the 'big city'. . .the butcher i buy mine from is in the old downtown market in washington... and while it is now the 'fashionable and yuppie' place to go, the meat prices are very reasonable... .hanger steaks, while only one to a cow, run around $6.50 per pound. . ..so its not too pricey (and especially considering there is practically no waste on it). . .someday, when everyone discovers them, they will be very expensive i'm sure. ...you should look though and check around to see if anyone has them ....[p]i remember when i was a kid, mom used to buy flank steaks all the time, cause they were tough and no body wanted them. . .but she and my dad knew how to score them and marinade them and grill them and slice them so that they were tender, and delicious. .. .nowadays, flank steak is so popular it is typically more expensive than sirloins/tenderloins/ribeyes at the safeway. ...

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Sirloin is my favorite too. I've had to argue with the meat counter guy to get them cut 2-3 inches thick. They are just used to cutting everything3/4 of an inch I guess.

• Rumrunner
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    you got it ;)

• fishlessman
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    i think its a curse of the cooking shows on tv. they make everone think more about how to cook and eventually make us better at it, but at the same time are driving up prices as everyone wants to try it. i hope that this is just a fad and that prices start to drop as interest falls. i seen this in fly fishing when the movie a river runs thru it came out. every yuppie in the world got into the sport. prices skyrocketed. they never really got good at it and now you just dont see as many as before. prices are getting more in line.

fukahwee maine

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    fishlessman,
    gee, my reaction to 'a river runs through it' was heed the white water warnings. ... between that and 'deliverence' i don't know why anybody in their right mind wants to ride a canoe or raft down a raging river torent. ..heeeee[p]mad "sticking to Cat 1 rapids" max ;-)

• fishlessman,
    Gimmie,Gimme, Gimmie PLEASE! Ain't got nuttin like that up here unless I wanna drive 450 mi. round trip. I figure it would cost you a lot less to send me some than it would cost me just for gas. Food for thought. Happy New Year!! Mik