Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wok Question

Can I use a wok that has wooden handles on my egg?  I really don't mind if they burn off, but is it unhealthy?  I've been kicking around buying the spider and was thinking about a wok, but then I remembered I had inherited one.  It has a wok ring with it and a bunch of tools.  Could I just use the wok ring and set it on top of the grate in the egg or does the wok have to set lower in the egg?

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Assume it is a round bottom wok. Most who use the egg to wok have it down in the egg, if flat bottomed it would be on the grid sitting on the fire ring. 
    If you have a good carbon steel wood handle and helper wood handle wok, (does it say ATLAS?) it would be a shame to burn the handles off - also makes it tough to pick the wok up when the handles are smoking. D handles get hot, but with welder's gloves you can at least pick up the wok to move the food to a serving platter. 
    If you have a 20-25K BTU propane burner, suggest you try that to stir fry on. Temp control for wokking on the egg is less than stellar, much easier to adjust with a gas burner. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited August 2014

I have   2-14" woks, one with "d" rings and one with a wood handles.. The helper handle of wood was cut off years ago. My flat bottom fits fine on the grate, the round has a ring to set on the grate. The "D" one fits on a spider. When using my BGE to wok  after it gets hot 500F or so, I cook with the top open so the handle is not a problem.  I like the wood handle or a metal handle for better control of the wok. 

Here some thoughts that should help.

Enjoy, the wok opens up a whole new world for egging.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1277637&catid=1

• grill4us
    grill4us Posts: 100
    edited August 2014
    Thanks for the info.  It is a round bottom and was never seasoned properly.  It's just taking up space in a cabinet.  I don't see a name on it at all, so I guess it's not an Atlas.  The more I read, the more I think that I should try to clean it up, season it, and then maybe just use it on the ceramic cooktop we have - using the wok ring.  I don't think this type of wok was meant for the egg.  I can't have 2 woks - I just don't have that kind of space and we're thinking about downsizing, so I think I'll put wokking on the egg on the back burner for now.  And it sort of sounds like wokking on the egg is a mixed bag - lots of posts about using a propane burner or a chimney stack or a tao to give you more control of the heat.  Unless, of course, if I can't clean this up right.....
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191

Using a wok on the BGE works great, but you do have to up your game. Using a wok to cook food is completely different than using a frying pan. IMHO, I can't get my BGE too hot to use with a wok.

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Most kitchen stove tops don't produce enough heat to truly wok. You end up sautéing in a rounded bottom pan.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    When I wok in the Egg my D handles get so hot I can't lift the wok with welder's gloves.  The heat is so intense, it transfers right through the fingers of the gloves.  I've started using a dishtowel in addition the welder's gloves - I hold a towel in each hand and that provides an etra layer of protection between the handles and my hands.

Has anyone else run into this problem?  Do I have cheap gloves, tender hands or just a low threshold for pain?

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA
  • Maccool
    Farbuck said

Has anyone else run into this problem?  Do I have cheap gloves, tender hands or just a low threshold for pain?
    @Farbuck, I use high-temp nomex gloves. Like the Ove Glove or similar. Much better insulation. I use them for things like lifting out a wok, or a Woo, flipping a spider, removing a hot platesetter or handling a hot pizza stone, you can't hang onto them indefinitely, but they give far more protection than welder's gloves.
  • Maccool
    Most kitchen stove tops don't produce enough heat to truly wok. You end up sautéing in a rounded bottom pan.
    I agree. I'm certainly no wok expert, but I've found that I only need two temp for my wok, the temps I get with the spider right side up, and the temps I get with the spider upside down.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Perfect Egg Wok- swap meet 35.00. Sits on the grate, just enogh gap around the edges for air
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • grill4us
    grill4us Posts: 100
    Maybe I should donate this one and get one more suited for the egg.  Or maybe I'll try to cut the wood off the handles.  I think the spider may be in my future shortly!
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    I seasoned my wok but the second time i cooked on it its started peeling the seasoned area and its now nice n shiny n new looking. Do i just need to season it again?
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited August 2014
    llrickman said:
    I seasoned my wok but the second time i cooked on it its started peeling the seasoned area and its now nice n shiny n new looking. Do i just need to season it again?

you betcha! Sounds like it got too hot and just burnt it off. BTW how hot was your fire? Personally I find if I get my dome up to say 325 or so and then add my wok with oil using my spider and the wok quickly heats up. Then I close my bottom vent entirely...open the dome and leave it open and cook my wok meal. It will stay hot that way and never flare up during the short cooking duration. At least this works for me!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    What i dont understand is it wasnt anywhere near hot enough to be cooking in. I got very little sizzle as i was doijg my stir fry

I did have the spider "up"  maybe i should have had it down so the wok was lower but that would have increased the heat worsening the seasoning i would think
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    llrickman said:
    What i dont understand is it wasnt anywhere near hot enough to be cooking in. I got very little sizzle as i was doijg my stir fry

I did have the spider "up"  maybe i should have had it down so the wok was lower but that would have increased the heat worsening the seasoning i would think
    yuppers...spider legs reaching for the sky means your wok is down closer and hotter. OTOH if you have company or other things on your mind then reversing the spider so legs down gives more forgiving temps.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.