Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

This is a FIRE Hazard

Richard Fl
Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have had my large in a table since '02 when it was bought used 2 years. The previous owner had placed a thin cheep 12 inch floor tile under the egg and no spacers. did not know any better in the beginning so cooked on it. Over the years the tile cracked and the table caught fire at the gasket level a few times. Actually used a glass of water to put it out a few times, once a cold beer. Moved the table last year and the tile pieces fell thru to the floor. Luck the egg did not fall thru, it was getting close. Guess it was time to do some repairs. so today I did.

The top of the table looking down:

TABLE3DSCN0871.jpg

The table beneath the egg:

TABLE2DSCN0870.jpg

As long as I was in the repair mode I removed the fire ring in 4 pieces and did a JB Weld job.

FIRERING3DSCN0865.jpg

Pieces:

FIRERING4DSCN0866.jpg

JB'ed Finish:

FIRERING5DSCN0868.jpg

While at this project removed the 10 year old charred gasket and replaced the bottom, thanks RRP. Left the top with out a gasket.
Placed the diamond metal plates that I have had there for 3-4 years over the hole and the rest of the bottom shelf, added a 16 inch square garden paver and then 3 BGE feet.

DONEDSCN0873.jpg

Should be good to go for several more cooks. Hope this helps someone who, like me, has been sitting on the fence about doing some fire prevention repair.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Richard,

As you know, that scares the living sh!t out of me.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Richard Fl
    I hear you baby, hope others listen also. See you next month??
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Great post Richard. ;)
  • Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Glad to see you getting it fixed. I remember seeing the charred places on the top but did not realize how serious the floor situation was.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Not looking like it my friend. Maybe November

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    I guess the concrete paver is the way to go. Lookin at your photo's you had a close call.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Richard - thanks for yet another testimonial for us believers in BOTH the feet AND a thick stone. I wonder if you might gain one more merit point toward BGE immortality if you re-posted this on the Table forum for newbies to read!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    You were SO LUCKY to have caught it when you did.

It just reinforces my decision to use both a paver and feet when building the tables for my small and mini eggs.

Thank you for the photo testimonial.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Wow. I had a similar experience with my table. The dealer delivered the egg and set it up. I didn't know any better, but realized quickly that the table was smoking. Called the dealer - got absolutely zero response. They finally agreed to give me the feet and sent someone out to help me get the egg under them. My first lesson in service (not) from the dealer. :angry:
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Dang it Richard, you saw my table a few years back so you know better than to let it go like that.

101_2117.jpg

101_2118.jpg

call me tomorrow I have some stuff for you.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    and while the newbies are looking at it you might want to throw in this pix of why to bother with that screen-door thingee when retro fitting an older egg!
    IMG_2059.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Another GOOD reason to have a WEBER(which is NEVER lit) sittin in my $1000 dollar table.Nest and Handler is THE ONLY WAY TO GO! ;) Anything else is ......personal preferance.BE CAREFUL!Dammit Richard ,you could have ruined a 'Loney chub doin that! B)
  • Richard Fl
    I could have ruined the LONEY Castle!
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Glad you did it Richard, one shouldn't worry about any other fire but the one inside the egg when cooking ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Ha!

You need a Loney round table!

Imagin that. ;)
  • defins
    defins Posts: 1
    My egg has caught on fire twice. Had to put it out with hose before it burnt down the house.  I smoke a lot of pork. After time the build up inside the egg catches fire. The last time I looked at it and said , "I really need to scrape that off."  OOPs.  Keep an eye on the fat buildup if you smoke alot.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    defins said:
    My egg has caught on fire twice. Had to put it out with hose before it burnt down the house.  I smoke a lot of pork. After time the build up inside the egg catches fire. The last time I looked at it and said , "I really need to scrape that off."  OOPs.  Keep an eye on the fat buildup if you smoke alot.
    Will a clean burn on occasion take care of this?

Yes, I know this is an old post (defins reply is recent) but this is an important enough topic that it's good to keep newbies like myself aware of the risks!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • jmcnutt5
    jmcnutt5 Posts: 88
    I once had dreams of having a nice table or out door kitchen with my egg...until I started seeing pics and hearing stories about peoples' tables catching fire.  I know there is a correct way to build one (stone PLUS an air-gap) but you better be sure you do it right and check it every so often.  I have seen pictures of outside kitchens with eggs completely enclosed by cabinets and while those may work just fine, I just cringe at that thought.  That is a lot of heat to dissapate in an enclosed environment with the only opening around the cutout hole of the egg.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    That's why I ditched the table and went back to the nest.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Is your girlfriend out of town. You sure have a lot of time on your hands :)>-
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Another reason I like my metal table, it's fireproof.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    edited August 2014
    ...the table caught fire at the gasket level a few times. Actually used a glass of water to put it out a few times, once a cold beer

:-O  That's it.  Ban him!!!   :-t

:P

Gotta admit, once I had the first fire, I'd change everything; not worth continuing in that mode.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Floor tile is not made and will not withstand the heat and will conduct the heat plus eventually crack.  Pavers, the 2" thick variety with or without feet or the table nest is the way to go. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• KiterTodd
    Has anyone heard of a fire in a closed up egg, in a nest?  (that wasn't being pulledin a trailer down the interstate or anything like that)

...just trying to evaluate my risk just going to bed with the egg on the deck after cooking dinner.   I am guessing I'm okay.  Maybe if a big wind storm comes up I'd want to figure out a way to snuff it out better.  (light watering?)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    It doesn't take much of an airflow to sustain my egg at low temperatures. It is possible for there to be enough air leaks to sustain a minimum fire even after closing up the egg.  Check to make sure the air intake cover is tight, the gasket is tight and the ceramic top forms a good seal. If you are concerned about the fire getting going again, it would be a good idea to have a remote thermometer with an alarm. Leave it on after your egg has cooled and set to warn you if it is heating up again.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971

It's great to hear these safety issues.

What other obscure - or common - safety issues should a new egger know about?

My biggest fear is that a small child will try to hang on the handle and pull the egg over. I've got a large egg in the standard nest, sitting on my paver patio.  Should I get an egg handler and anchor that to the ground behind it to prevent tipping?  Anyone heard of a hot egg tipping over (other than trying to roll it around)?

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • KiterTodd
    blind99 said:
    My biggest fear is that a small child will try to hang on the handle and pull the egg over. I've got a large egg in the standard nest, sitting on my paver patio.  Should I get an egg handler and anchor that to the ground behind it to prevent tipping?  Anyone heard of a hot egg tipping over (other than trying to roll it around)?
    I'd think a small child could do pull-ups on the handle, but not tip it over.
    Maker sure the wheels are locked.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • HDmstng
    HDmstng Posts: 192
    What would be nice is an outdoor fire detection system.  Haven't found much yet, but the seem to go along the lines of thermal imaging cameras.  Those aren't going to be cheap, and there are some technical issues to work out as well such as false alarms while using the Egg.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    defins said:
    May be I'm reading too much into this but folks, perhaps this case has nothing to do with wood table or deck? The fire started INSIDE the egg due to fat buildup!

@defins, just wondering, do you use a drip pan to catch the fat? if not, did you actually have a thick layer of fat in the egg bottom?
    canuckland
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    KiterTodd said:
    Has anyone heard of a fire in a closed up egg, in a nest?  (that wasn't being pulledin a trailer down the interstate or anything like that)

...just trying to evaluate my risk just going to bed with the egg on the deck after cooking dinner.   I am guessing I'm okay.  Maybe if a big wind storm comes up I'd want to figure out a way to snuff it out better.  (light watering?)
    my egg burnt almost thru 2 inch thick boards before i found it balancing there in the morning about to tip over, fortunately i had a metal bucket underneath that caught the hot embers before hitting the deck. no big cooks on the deck anymore for me. all my eggs are off the deck except for the mini for short cooks
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it