Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Right, left, or center?

Greetings I am new to the forum and have a question. I am planning to build a table from red cedar and I've seen several designs. Is there any advantage to placing the EGG to one side as opposed to in the center? I think I like center but it looks like you have more working room with a side mount. Just curious what the ideas were out there. Thanks for the help!
-Todd
Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I think most that go with a side mount for the reason you stated.
  • RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    Thanks Eggcelsior, I am leaning that way. It would also make adding a second egg easier
    -Todd
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Put it in the Nest with Handlers and buy a SS table from SAMs. So much easier to move when you go on vacation.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    I would prefer a side mount for the working room. Also, like you said, depending on the table size, adding another egg would be a nice option, especially if you have enough room between them to work.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    I've got plenty of room. I have a large and now trying to decide if I want to sell it and get an XL or add a MED to the L. I've only been egging about 6weeks and now I'm sooo hooked
    -Todd
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095

RiverDoc said:
    Thanks Eggcelsior, I am leaning that way. It would also make adding a second egg easier
    I lean to the right……..

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Newsguy
    Newsguy Posts: 26
    Being right handed, I tend to like the Egg to the left as I face it. The extra space on the side of my favored hand is really great for me. I also have 34" of depth, which lets me put my toppings out for pizza, while I stretch out the dough on the granite top (see photo).
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    Same for me, except I opted for stainless steel. Great work surface, very weatherproof. A little Barkeepers Friend and it scrubs up great.

• keep it to one side. think of how big the plate setter is all the pans, trays and large slabs of ribs and hunks of meat that will go on this thing. 
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    I've never really gave it much thought.I'm right hand and I prefer the egg on the right. I've always cooked like this" kitchen and grilling" I guess.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    If you build your table so it is reversible, all you have to do is turn it around, turn the egg around and boom, its on the other side of the table.   I am not much of a table fan in general but that is another topic.  My table, which is now a flower planter, was reversible and was really easy to turn around with wheels on it..
  • Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    My new table, when built, will have space on both sides, so using the size and styles posted, I would vote center.  My current table only has the "traditional" approx. 6" to one side of the egg and I find that useless.  It makes it difficult when putting something in or out that side of the egg.  I want/need room to set a food tray on either side to accommodate that.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    You could add a drop down shelf to get the extra room when needed
  • KingtUT
    KingtUT Posts: 157
    Newsguy said:
    Being right handed, I tend to like the Egg to the left as I face it. The extra space on the side of my favored hand is really great for me. I also have 34" of depth, which lets me put my toppings out for pizza, while I stretch out the dough on the granite top (see photo).

Nice bird bath!