Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HOT SAUCE!!! What's your favorite?

Options
KiterTodd
KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
So much food off the egg is great with some hot sauce.  I like hot sauce that has HEAT and FLAVOR.  Not so much heat that you can't taste your food.  I don't like any of those tourist trap bottles of sauce that usually have the words "ASS" and "FIRE" on the label.   I'm talking full flavor...like a fine bloody mary mix.

The hottest flavorful sauce I have tried is Scorned Woman.  Very hot, but also great flavor. That's still a little too hot for me.  The HOT and VERY HOT Nando's sauces are good also.  Many food stores carry that.  My favorite main stream sauce is Cholula.   BUT...

The reason for this post is today I received one of my favorite hot sauces in the mail....ADOBO MILLINGS Jalepeno Hot Sauce!  This has a lot more heat than most Jalapeno hot sauces (I like the red variety best) but also has great flavor.   I pick some up whenever I'm in Durango, CO (the company is out of Dove Creek) but I've been fresh out for too long.  

The red sauce is the one I love.  The other items I decided to sample while I was putting an order in.

Look at all that good flavor just floating in the bottle!

If you want a new sauce to try, give them a shot!  The prices are very fair on the web, but they do whack you a pretty high shipping fee.  On the upside, the sauce was very well packed in bubble wrap and shredded paper so maybe that up-charge accounts for the labor to ship glass bottles.   I also tried a few other things this time as you can see above.  The BBQ Seasoning is pretty good...haven't tried it on any low and slow cooks yet.  But I will!

What's your favorite?
LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• ChillyWillis
    Options
    I love all sorts of hot sauces but my all time favorite is definitely Secret Aardvark. It's very hot with a phenomenal deep flavor profile. I have it shipped to me 6 bottles at a time and there is always an open bottle in my fridge.

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I'm a sirachi on most stuff type guy, there is a hot sauce shop near me, maybe I'll check them out.
  • tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options
    Tried and true. Tabasco is my favorite. Siracha isn't too far behind.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I felt like I'd be doing this thread an injustice without posting a pic of the hot sauce shelf in my fridge. Some of the other greats in this photo are El Yucateco (green) and Hula Girl Chipotle Habanero. Both are two of my all time favorites.... and no hot sauce collection would ever be complete without some Franks red hot for buffalo sauce and a squeeze bottle of sriracha.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,949
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Gochujang, otherwise known as Korean hot bean paste.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    I'll check out the Aardvark for sure.

RedHot is definitely an old standby that I always come back to.  It is, for me, the base of an authentic buffalo wing sauce.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    my tastes have changed over the years, always had tobasco in the house but now i really dislike the stuff. i like and have all the huy fong food products...the rooster sauce, chili garlic, and sanbal oelek.  always have franks origional for wings. i cook with alot of thai peppers, cayanne, chipotle, and always have a bunch of dried peppers to chew on and balance out the flavors of the hotter ones so adding tobasco just waters things down
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • canman
    canman Posts: 52
    Options
    Started growing my own cayennes and smoking them to make hot sauce. home made by far better.
    Tullahoma, Tennessee.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I don't have a ton, these 4 are definitely the workhorses in the fridge. I like the Trader Joe's sriracha better than the rooster bottle, I get a lot more garlic in it:

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• KiterTodd
    Options
    canman, how long does home made hot sauce last?  I haven't made it in a while but was always more nervous that it'd go bad or lose color/flavor over time.   I don't know what they do to the manufactured ones (the ingredients don't list any chemicals) but they seem to hold their color and flavor for months if not over a year if kept in the fridge.  Perhaps the vinegar and acid from the peppers takes care of the preservation. ?  
    LBGE/Maryland
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I like most of the staple hot sauces, Texas pete's, Franks and Red Hot, but I find myself using Cholula and Sriracha the most.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    Options
    Taco bell, no joke, is my absolute favorite. I know it's probably crap, but I just love the flavor. Now that it's in bottles I no longer have to hoard packets.

I also like Sriracha..
    Aurora,OH
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    This is definitely one of my favorite hobbies. Adjusting heat, front heat, back heat, accent flavoring, easy hobby to get into and lots of room to grow.
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    Ever had a Sriracha and Peanut Butter sandwich?
    Try it...it's awesome!  (not actually spicy.  tastes like Thai food.)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    Looks awesome, GalanteNate_OneEa.  How long is the shelf life on them?
    LBGE/Maryland
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    Tabasco and sriracha are my go-to's but I love most hot sauces. 
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    @ChillyWillis +1 on the El Yucateco green.  Love the red too, but the green is outstanding heat and flavor.

Also really like the Zaaschila line of sauces with avocado in them.  They come in serrano and habanero with the avocado and have several other that do not have the avocado - some red (like pequin).  I always have a few of these and the El Yucateco's in my fridge.  The green avocado hot sauce on fish taco's is perfect.
  • Rabidgoose
    Rabidgoose Posts: 40
    edited August 2014
    Options
    This is definitely one of my favorite hobbies. Adjusting heat, front heat, back heat, accent flavoring, easy hobby to get into and lots of room to grow.
    @GalanteNate_OneEa : Please post or point me toward a recipe for canning hot peppers. I will have a fair amount of jalapenos and habaneros at the end of the season and would like to can some and/or make sauce.

thanks........chuck
    LG BGE...PSWOOII-CI...PLATESETTER...THERMAPEN...MAVERICK-ET-733

Thumb MI
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I use Arizona Gunslinger most often, Scorned Woman, Uncle Chen's extra hot sriracha, a locally made Bajan scotch bonnet and Cholula. I have over 1200 bottles in my collection of sauces though.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• GalanteNate_OneEa
    GalanteNate_OneEa Posts: 967
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @Rabidgoose‌

http://www.jalapenomadness.com/preserve_jalapenos_canning.html#.U_NqTNm9LCQ

I dry mine, and some I smoke, you can freeze as well, but of you do freeze I recommend prepping them to how you would use them before you freeze them. The reason is once frozen you do not defrost before using, otherwise they are no good. Drying I just thread a needle and string them like popcorn and hang in my kitchen. Once you throw them into the pot they re-activate and soften up.

Good luck!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I usually have some El Yucateco Red on hand. Also Cholula, but I don't really think of it as a hot sauce. More a slightly warm sauce that is really good w. eggs. Texas Pete is good, and I've gone thru a lot of that.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Cholula is my go to.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Right now I have homemade Hatch sauce, Red Dot, Texas Pete, Sriracha, Mi Madre Pique, plus more I can't think of off the top of my head. I basically use them in the order written in terms of frequency.
  • apfroggy0408
    Options
    I love the Adobe Milling stuff!

I really like the habenero one that they offer too.
    A zen powerlifter with a medium BGE.

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Cholula & Sriracha for me.
    Flint, Michigan
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I really like Sriracha,Louisiana Hot Sauce and Taco Time Hot Sauce.
    Go to sauce, though, is and always  will be Tabasco (the original red).
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • KiterTodd
    Options

Finally!  Someone else who has heard of it.
    I never see it in stores back east, so had to mail order it.
    Good to know about the habenero - I almost bought the habanero, but didn't....will have to get it next time.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Cholula & Sriracha for me.
    +1 and occasionally I use the Louisiana brand hot sauce.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • apfroggy0408
    Options
    KiterTodd said:

Finally!  Someone else who has heard of it.
    I never see it in stores back east, so had to mail order it.
    Good to know about the habenero - I almost bought the habanero, but didn't....will have to get it next time.
    I have a friend that's from Farmington, New Mexico and whenever she goes home she stops by Durango and has shipped me some!
    A zen powerlifter with a medium BGE.

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options

McIlhenny's Chipotle

Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius.