Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Potential New Egger

Options
jmcnutt5
jmcnutt5 Posts: 88
edited August 2014 in EggHead Forum
I have been talking to my coworker about how much I love my egg, and I have about got him convinced to get one.  But he is reluctant to drop that kind of cash (and weren't most of us on that very first egg?) on a "grill".  So my wife and I decided to have him and his family over for steaks tomorrow night to show them what it is all about.  As long as I don't screw it up, I think we will have a new egger.  I will be sure to take pictures of the finished product.  Wish me luck!

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Good luck!

Caution before spending is understandable. My son turns out some really good cooks with his WSM, 22.5" Weber and his Smokey Joe. Uses both briquettes and lump. I use my Smokey Joe at least weekly.

When you consider you could buy two of each of the Webers for just a little more than a LBGE, buying an egg is a big step. When it comes to convenience on long low and slow cooks, the egg wins hands down. I think that is the real selling point, it is the easiest to operate and provides very consistent results.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • cottonseed
    Options
    tell him to get on craigslist and look for a used one.
    Atlanta, GA
    Large Egg ~1998 model
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Steaks are great, but I would consider doing something before or after the steaks to show the versatility of the BGE. I wouldn't have bought the egg if it was just about steaks and burgers.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • grill4us
    grill4us Posts: 100
    Options
    Good luck!  stemc33 has a point there - maybe a dessert of grilled peaches?  They are so easy and are excellent!

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options

Used is great if it's a deal that's too good to pass up. For me, the warranty is worth the extra money though.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • BigGreenPackerFan
    Options
    I agree with what others have said here. My best steaks have come off the Egg but I have cooked some mean steaks on a Weber as well. Perhaps you could do a "reverse sear" on the steaks, throw on a peach cobbler after the steaks come off and then take the egg down to 220 and throw a pork shoulder on right before he leaves for an overnight low and slow. That should get his attention :)
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Good luck!!!  The ABT's, Bacon Donuts, and Stuffed Mushrooms make a fantastic appetizer.  Either way he will eat a great meal I'm sure.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    Steaks are great, but I would consider doing something before or after the steaks to show the versatility of the BGE. I wouldn't have bought the egg if it was just about steaks and burgers.

Yeah, ya gotta bake something. Any old Weber will grill a steak or a burger. Do a cobbler, or a berry/fruit pizza, or some cornbread...maybe some cookies.
  • jmcnutt5
    Options
    stemc33 said:

Used is great if it's a deal that's too good to pass up. For me, the warranty is worth the extra money though.
    What has him really considering it is I told him about getting one that was used at Eggtoberfest.  I explained to him what all you get and what that usually costs new and he seemed really interested.  Maybe he will take the plunge.
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    @jmcnutt5 I'm thinking of picking up a second large at Eggtoberfest. For 750 it's hard to pass. I only wish I built a table that holds two eggsimage
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I would cook a spatchcock w/ Dizzy Dust and blow his mind. That, or a Butt.  

I cooked great steaks on a Weber for 29 years before I converted - and I'll never go back! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    Or baby backs......
    GWN
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    I would cook a spatchcock w/ Dizzy Dust and blow his mind. That, or a Butt.  

I cooked great steaks on a Weber for 29 years before I converted - and I'll never go back! 

+3
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Hopefully you will convince him. I have friends that are still using "gas". Cook some for him and then go ahead and bookmark some posts here and show him what some other cooks are doing with the egg. 

One of the biggest differences for me coming from a gas and charcoal background was chicken. The chicken that comes off of the egg is so tender and moist. 

Please let us know how it all works out. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    The egg is a grill, an oven, and a smoker. It is a very versatile cooking tool that performs very well for all tasks. This forum is full of examples of the limitless possibilities of the egg. Really, there isn't anything you can't do with the egg if you want to do it.
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    I agree with @pgprescott‌. It pisses me off when I hear Bobby Flay refer to the Egg as a "smoker". We all know it's so much more. There aren't many gas grills out there that you can get to 1000°. I can do it easily with my Egg should I desire.
    GWN
  • OmahaOne
    OmahaOne Posts: 154
    Options
    Look to see if an Eggfest is going on around your area. He can get a great deal off the price by buying a demo egg. The demo eggs are brand new and only used at the Eggfest. I'm doing that this weekend at the Indy Eggfest.
    XL BGE - Indianapolis, IN
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    @Nanook Who among us hasn't left an egg for too long while it's getting to temp and walked outside to a 1000 degree egg. We don't even have to try.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • jmcnutt5
    Options
    OmahaOne said:
    Look to see if an Eggfest is going on around your area. He can get a great deal off the price by buying a demo egg. The demo eggs are brand new and only used at the Eggfest. I'm doing that this weekend at the Indy Eggfest.
    That is what I told him.  Eggtoberfest is just about two hours from us and he is considering that.  I wish I would have known about that when I got mine haha.