Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Have you hugged your small today?

Options
Focker
Focker Posts: 8,364
Trying to dial in the little guy for tailgating season.  Last time I did pizza on the small was Feb 2012.  Pics of the burnt offerings from that cook are around somewhere.  Practiced my backhand disc golf throw in the snow and sub-zero temps. hahaha

Most camp cooks with the small have been quick grilling type cooks with minimal prep, or helping my cousin BBQ with his new WSM.  Now that I am getting acclimated with the towing, setup, operation, and breakdown of the new camper, it's time to start focusing a little more on food offerings.  Wings will be done raised direct on the WSM, so the goal is to replicate the large egg without sacrificing too much size in diameter.  

For the large, it is usually 3 14" doughballs with Reinhart's American-style Neapolitan recipe from his free Craftsy class.  The extra oil really gives the cornicione a golden hue and crunch for cooking at only 500.  Setup is High-Que, Woo, two split firebricks, and BGE 12" stone.  Preheated for an hour or so, pie went on at 500 dome.  

Not the best pie, but only going down 2" in diameter and two egg sizes is awesome.  

Toppings were pepperoni, cherry tomaters, scallions, basil, calabrian chiles.  

Wonder if this can be done on a minimax?   :D
Thanks for lookin'

imageimage
Brandon
Quad Cities
"If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That is a great looking pie for sure @Focker.  I have not made a pizza on my small.  I might just have to try one soon! 

If the mini-max is the same size grid, I don't see why you couldn't do it on the MM.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Nice! I have a 10" stone and was wondering if a 12" would allow enough airflow.

Obviously it does!

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Focker
    Options
    Thanks @SmokeyPitt,

The small does it all, like the big boys.

Just sh!tstirrin' the MM lovers. ;)

I think the MM has the same grid dimensions.  Having the fire that close to your pie, even with a barrier, may be tough.    
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    DMW said:
    Nice! I have a 10" stone and was wondering if a 12" would allow enough airflow.

Obviously it does!

Yeah, that was concerning at first.  There is about an inch of air all around.  Pretty tight, but works alright. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Looks good. But your pies always do!

I'm doing a couple on Mom's kettle tonight. If I had a stone, I'd just use her oven. No stone, no egg. Next trip, I'll plan better.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Great looking pie. I love my small too. It can definitely compete with the big boys!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    I want a small so bad to go with my large.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    Nice looking Pies! What kind of camper do you have? Just spend one of the best vacation weeks in Mytle Beach with my girls and the camper.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!