Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with Raised Direct...

I am still a newbie, looking to spatch a chicken with raised direct setting... which accessories are needed for this setting?  Do I need a second grid?  What is the best way to prop up a grid?

Thanks...

Comments

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    Suggest a PSWoo2 or adjustable rig from the Ceramic Grill Store www.ceramicgrillstore.com
    Jacksonville FL
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    I bought some cheap fire bricks from lowes and use those to raise my grid to gasket level. Not as nice as a PSWoo2 but pretty effective if you don't want to spend the money.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • I used bricks prior to getting the adjustable rig.  Both work.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    edited August 2014
    I use three bricks too - on their side. Perfect height for raised direct and spatchcock, revere searing, etc. I've used the bricks since I bought the Large Egg in May. 

My PSWoo2 should arrive tomorrow! I'm getting that more for a 13"cast iron grate just able the firebox for searing, quick streaks, etc. I suspect I'll use to for raised direct too and ditch the bricks but the bricks work just fine. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• mslaw
    mslaw Posts: 241
    If you get the woo make sure to get the woo CI just in case you buy a cast iron grate down the road
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    I relatively new to the forum but have had my Egg for a little more than a year.  Just started looking into the Woo and the AR.  Which works better?  I am starting to cook a lot of different things now so the menu isn't stuck to anything in particular.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Why bother with the raised grill? Can't you use just less charcoal to reduce the direct heat
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Three beer cans ought to do it.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832

Why bother with the raised grill? Can't you use just less charcoal to reduce the direct heat

The other thing you benefit from by raising the grid is radiant heat from the dome helping to crisp the skin.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    I'm a big believer in the Woo CI. The AR is just more than I need. The Woo plus the spider more than covers all my needs
  • DMW said:
    Why bother with the raised grill? Can't you use just less charcoal to reduce the direct heat
    The other thing you benefit from by raising the grid is radiant heat from the dome helping to crisp the skin.

Thx for the insight
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Maccool said:
    I'm a big believer in the Woo CI. The AR is just more than I need. The Woo plus the spider more than covers all my needs
    Maccool...funny, I was looking at the Woo today and trying to decide what else I needed and if I wanted to spring for the entire AR setup (which I don't...you get all the attachments and you quickly approach 25% of the cost of your egg!).

So...I'm thinking WooCI. 

How do you plan on using the Spider?  As a separate from the WooCI or is there a way to use it with?
    LBGE/Maryland
  • It seems impossible to find fire bricks. Where does everyone get them to raise the grid?
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    edited August 2014
    I have been using it for my wok (carbon steel 16" from The Grill Store, and also for searing meats. I had an old Weber 13 inch grill grate sitting around, so I can drop it down a little closer to the coals and get the searing done. I've only done that once, on a reverse sear, and it worked out really well. Need some good nomex gloves, although you can actually manipulate the spider pretty well with just the Grill Gripper.

So, for example...bake a piece of meat raised direct on the Woo (with or without plate setter inserted. Then simply pull the entire unit out of the Egg and slip in the spider, drop in the grate, sear and done.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    It would seem the order of progression is:
    1.  three empty beer cans, 
    2. three fire bricks, 
    3. buy a second grid and mount it on three 5" bolts, 
    4. buy a woo or AR or some other grid extender. 

Sounds like you are at step 1. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    I made three risers from high temp cement using toilet paper tools as form. Cut to the length I needed.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    A great idea mentioned to me that I forgot about was to just buy a second grate.
    Like...maybe you were going to buy a cast iron grate anyway and you you still have your old grate.

THEN...
    Put the old grate on the fire ring.
    Put 3 red bricks or fire bricks around the side (don't have to worry about them falling in)
    And put the new grate on top.

Two tier.  Low hassle.  Low cost.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    It seems impossible to find fire bricks. Where does everyone get them to raise the grid?

Some of the home improvement stores carry them and some don't, depending on the location. Ace Hardware sells them, although your local store make not stock them. They can get them in quickly. They sell them by the box, six bricks per box.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    I use the bricks also. Works great! They are very handy.
    NW IOWA