Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trader Joes Charcoal

Options
Has anyone used Trader Joes charcoal?  They claim it is 100% wood and held together with, I believe, cornstarch.  Just wondering if that would be ok to use - it looks more like briquettes so I'm not so sure.

Comments

• llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    If it's anything besides wood itself it's gonna produce more ash won't burn as Long or as hot
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Yes, I've used 7-8 bags of the stuff in other cookers but not in my Eggs. It produces less ash than Kingsford but still more ash than burning lump.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • grill4us
    grill4us Posts: 100
    Options
    Thanks - I'll steer clear!
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    I used a bag in the egg it worked okay, had more ash than lump but certainly worked.  I also have a hi-que grate so blockage is less of an issue.  Did not buy any more bags but based on some of the crappy lump out there would choose TJ over that crap.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • greenenvy
    Options
    Was just about to post this same question. Spotted them last night. Guess it's good I was too lazy to pick up a bag. image

your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.” Anthony Bourdain, Kitchen Confidential

LBGE in SATX