Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moving a Medium Egg Down a flight of stairs

We have a medium egg in a nest on an upstairs deck. Just had a new deck put in downstairs and want to get it down there.

Getting the bottom in the nest was difficult for my daughter and I - would rather not have to disassemble too far. Was thinking about getting the "handle bar"; taking out the fire box; then clamping the top to the bottom, and "walking" it down the stairs. Concerned about the jarring as we hit each stair.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    I don't think it should be a big problem..... A medium isn't that heavy. Get a buddy to help you move it down stairs
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    take the insides out and it's not that heavy. Potlifter from Amazon makes it pretty easy. I just moved one myself from the deck to the garage.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• +1 on taking the insides out. That'll make it simple for you and a friend.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    Take the lid off, take the innards out, and take it out of the stand. If you loosen the bolts on the stand it's no biggy to get it out of or put it into the stand. THERE IS NO WAY I WOULD WALK IT DOWN THE STAIRS
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Find some local high school football players and tell them there is BBQ in it for them to safely move it down for you.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Sixpack1
    Sixpack1 Posts: 189
    I set my LBGE in my table by myself. It wan't to heavy after I took the dome off and insides out. I did a clean burn the day before so I had to clean all the residual ash out anyway...
    The Gator Nation, Central Florida
    LARGE & MINI  Life is good...
    GO GATORS!!!

• theKYLE
    theKYLE Posts: 11
    Take out the innards and give her a hug. One hand on the hinge and the other in the bottom vent. Or have a buddy help ya...
  • Agree with the football players idea. If you are near me in GA, I'd send over a couple of my guys. Prefer lineman or linebackers..... strong legs and arms and good balance.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• JHands
    JHands Posts: 78
    Take the inside out, remove the springs on the latch in the full open position, remove bottom pinch bolt. Separate dome, base, innards. 3 separate safe trips. I put my large in my table this way this weekend. I'm in great shape though and do atlas stone lifts and deadlifts on a weekly basis. Hardest part was lowering it into table in a controlled fashion, but if you're not doing that and just putting back in a nest a medium should be a one man job.
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Build a slide. If it doesn't make it down, file a BGE warranty.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

Just take it apart and make life easy.

Zip tie the rear part of the spring band shut.  Then loosen the top band.  Stick your arm down through the chimney and carry the lid that way.

Take the grates, firebox, and fire ring out.

Finally lift the base by reaching down into it and grabbing it by the lower vent.

I have moved multiple Medium, Large, and XL's this way.  Takes just a few minutes to put it all back together.  I would never attempt to carry it by the spring band unless you have someone else holding underneath to spot you.

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited August 2014
    I have to admit I'm afraid to take my bands apart to remove the top when I'm faced with the same challenge.
    My rear tension bolts bent so much during tightening (as designed?) that I know one is stripped and I'd have trouble loosening and or re-tightening.  I tightened to the torque setting but was surprised to realize I was spinning free at one point so I know a thread was stripped.  I am not too concerned with currently assembled as the nut was still turning with effort, so I know it's being held.

Anyway, is it really that easy to take it apart and put it back together?

I'd opt for hoping that with the innards out, a neighbor and I could lift it whole and walk down the stairs...

I have a big party planned this fall and would love to move it down into the backyard for the weekend, but I don't know if it's worth the risk/effort.  :-?
    LBGE/Maryland
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

KiterTodd said:
    My rear tension bolts bent so much during tightening (as designed?) that I know one is stripped and I'd have trouble loosening and or re-tightening.  I tightened to the torque setting but was surprised to realize I was spinning free at one point so I know a thread was stripped.  I am not too concerned with currently assembled as the nut was still turning with effort, so I know it's being held.

Anyway, is it really that easy to take it apart and put it back together?

Very easy to take apart.  If those bolts are stripped, get them out of there.  If they break, you are going risk loosing the lid.  Get yourself some stainless steel carriage bolts, nuts, and lock washers.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited August 2014

Very easy to take apart.  If those bolts are stripped, get them out of there.  If they break, you are going risk loosing the lid.  Get yourself some stainless steel carriage bolts, nuts, and lock washers.
    Do you by any chance know the correct specs on a replacement SS bolt?

Sounds like a good idea.  I've only put one together ever, so being a first timer it was a little intimidating to get it all together, alligned, and knowing it was holding a heavy object.  I think that is part of the fear of f*cking with it!   :-S
    LBGE/Maryland
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I would take a framing hammer, gently break the dome and base into movable sizes pieces. ... >:)
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited August 2014
    Football players??? hahahahaha

Take the innards out, dont't be a pu$$y, and man up.  I work with 125lb girls who could do it. 
    =))
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    By handle bar do you mean the nest handler?  

Just my $.02 but I wouldn't be comfortable trying to navigate it down the stairs in the nest, even with a handler.  Also if this is the only time you need to move it then it would be a shame to drop $90 or so on the nest.  I agree with others I would take out the insides and if need be remove the dome then carry it down.  When you get it down put it in the nest before you reassemble. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.