Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Carbon Del Sur lump at RD ?

Options
TigerTony
TigerTony Posts: 1,078
edited August 2014 in EggHead Forum
I just joined Restaurant Depot today. First thing I saw when I walked in was a pallet stacked with 19lb bags of Carbon Del Sur lump charcoal for $8.99
I know nothing about this brand of lump, never heard of it before.  It says it's a product of Colombia. I saw nothing on the bag to indicate what type of wood. Oak or mesquite, maybe even pieces of scrap lumber like Cowboy uses.
I've been buying Rockwood and Ozark Oak, both are excellent but terribly expensive at over $20 a bag. I've tried Royal Oak and I'm not crazy about the stuff. It's just not as clean burning as RW and OO, imho. 
I'm going to try a bag of Carbon Del Sur and hope that it's good.
Just wondering if any of you have tried Carbon Del Sur, and your impressions of it....

"I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
New Orleans

lump.jpg 120.6K

Comments

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Worst lump I've ever, ever used. Period. The bag is nice, like a woven plastic bag that grains come in, but past that, it's terrible. Extremely light wood, SUPER small pieces. If you have a high q grate you will not be able to use this lump alone. Will go through the grates unless it falls just right. The wood looked as if it was tumbled in a dryer or something. Rounded edges, very smooth, and had a bunch of twig like particulate in there. Not a mega amount of dust in the bag, more than normal, but nothing different from RW or WGWW, so I can't figure out why the wood was so smooth and rounded. Extremely smokey, wasn't unpleasant but still very very smokey. It's from South America, so it has a variety of wood in it. The bag I had, luckily I got on discount as our local pool/bge supplier started carrying it, and offered me a deal to try it. Hopefully you have a better outcome. Too small, too smokey, popped like crazy. It was bad.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    Options
    I used it a couple of times and did not like the  vigorous popping and spitting of sparks.. I did not notice an unusual amount of small pieces or dust. In fact, I had larger pieces in my bags. However, it does burn super hot. In that respect it did work well for a picanha grill or a pizza cook.
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    Driftwood?
    Given the rounded edges?
    :))
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    We opened another bag in the store when I had gone back in, and it was rounded and smooth edges and small pieces. Oddest thing ever. I'll have to find some pictures of it on my phone. Crap charcoal though. I paid more than $10 for the bag though, it that made it worse.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Looks like I shouldn't waste my time or money on this junk. 
    I'm getting such great results with RW and OO, I'll stick with them and pay the extra money. I guess that ole saying is true "you get what you pay for".
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    Not bad for $8 my bags have had less small pieces or dust than royal oak, does spark some. Acceptable choice among the options I have available.
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Saw it for the first time while helping out my mother-in-law do some repair work on her house. Stopped at a local dealer and saw this at their shop.

Glad I passed on it!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!