Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pizza

Options
CDC
CDC Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
brokenstonea.jpg
<p />Sunday night was pizza night. Made a ham and pineapple pizza and a little mushroom, onion, salami and ham. Turned out pretty good. I tried the New York style recipe from the home page. I prebaked the crust for 5 minutes. Found out I didn’t need to do that. It ended up too crunchy. I also had a temp of 500-550°, I’ll take it back a few degrees next time. I’ll still try the dough recipe again though.[p]The baking stone broke between 500-550°, it was a cheap $20 stone. After reading in the forum about how many have broken, I wasn’t too surprised. Hopefully, the temp changes I plan to try next time will keep the next one in one piece (had 2 identical). If that one breaks too then I’ll invest in a BGE stone. I took an extra precaution by using the extra grate under the stone. Didn’t have a piece of stone poking up through the pie. The forum saved the day on that one. All in all for the first pizza they were still very edible!! Looking forward to making more.[p]GFW, the firebricks are the same size. Once I had them set up in the egg it looked right.[p]Egg6000’s how did yours turn out?[p]CDC

Comments

• CDC
    CDC Posts: 13
    Options
    pizza1a.jpg
    <p />woops[p]here's the pic

• Dec
    Dec Posts: 70
    Options
    CDC,
    I don't care much for pineapple, but that one looks very good.
    I may need to give it another try.[p]Dec

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    CDC,
    Do you deliver????? :-)))[p]It sure looks fine![p]
    Dr. C

• Get a kiln shelf from a ceramics supply house to use as a pizza stone. They're good for over 2000 deg, and cost less than pizza stones. I paid about $10 for a 13 inch diam by 5/8 inch thick shelf.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    CDC,[p]Congratulations on your first pie. Beautiful.[p]The dough recipe you used will provide a solid support for a pie of your weighty toppings. I would suggest that you go ahead and obtain a BGE stone and place your current baking stone on that. Heat everything as your Egg comes to temp. The BGE stone will help protect the baking stone from the thermal stresses (until you add the cool pie). If it survives, it will be more likely to survive the next pizza cook.[p]You have a lot of juices in the toppings that require heat and time to cook to perfection. Lowering the cooking temp will only extend the cooking time the toppings will require, tending to dry out the dough. I would stick with 550F (or higher) and control the cooking temp by limiting the top vent (bottom wide open).[p]Just some thoughts on a great first attempt.[p]Spin