Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Headphones

Options
hapster
hapster Posts: 7,503
Thinking about getting a pair of over the ear headphones. Been reading on Bose, Beats, Sony, etc...

Leaning towards the Bose Quiet Comfort noise canceling model, not sure about Bluetooth or corded. I love the way the Bose Sound Dock I have sounds and the build quality is sick, wind took it off the deck to the yard about 15' over a year ago and the only that happened to it was some dirt in the cabinet seam on the top corner. The dock was open and the battery stayed on as well.

Anyone have any thoughts? Not an audiophile by any stretch, I just like quality, well made products that last.

Thanks...

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    I can only say that I have a set of Bose Quiet Comfort noise canceling headphones and am very happy with them, also not an audio expert, I like the noise canceling feature which I use when flying.The sound is also great..But then again I am a Bose fan. 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I have V-Moda M-100s and absolutely love them. The build and sound quality is superb. Had Beats and returned them.

Being an audiophile my damn near entire life, I have a very hard time supporting Bose. With that being said, Bose headphones are pretty good. Mainly because they do noise cancelation better than most.

Good luck!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • hapster
    Options
    Thanks guys...
    @cazzy what's the issue with Bose? I'm a fan, but not a fanboy. Just curious...
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I have both Bose over the ear- smaller which I like but doesn't do quite as good a job on noise canceling.
    Greensboro, NC
  • cazzy
    edited August 2014
    Options
    hapster said:

Thanks guys...
    @cazzy what's the issue with Bose? I'm a fan, but not a fanboy. Just curious...

It really just dates back to their Acoustimass line. Just inferior product that they would over charge the hell out of. Decent R&D and incredible marketing, but very poor quality product. Done right, you could easily have a better system for far less.

They are good innovators and have really hit home runs with the Wave and their headphones. They've always been very user friendly, so their product definitely makes sense for some end users.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Audiophile here too.
    Beats are overhyped (both the sound and the marketing) and not worth the money.  I have AKG K240's.  Drooling at the new Oppo electrostatic 'phones, but at the cost of two Large Eggs.... 
    #-o

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Options
    The Bose noise canceling headphones do a great job.  Since outside noise is eliminated, you can play music at a lower volume and hear everything.   

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA
  • cazzy
    Options
    Botch said:

Audiophile here too.

Beats are overhyped (both the sound and the marketing) and not worth the money.  I have AKG K240's.  Drooling at the new Oppo electrostatic 'phones, but at the cost of two Large Eggs.... 
    #-o
    Yeah...I'd love to own a pair of Oppo PM-1s, but it's hard for me to commit that type of coin for headphones.
  • hapster
    Options
    Okay... I guess it's between the Quiet Comfort 15's at $269 or the Quiet Comfort 3's at $315...

Guess there's not much left to do but go and try them out...

Thanks guys
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Not sure about the American market, I have Sennheiser HD650, very nice for home theatre listening and when playing guitar in stealth mode as SWMBO calls it. Was interested in the 558's, the dealer had an open box that I couldn't turn down. Very nice headphones for <$250. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Options
    Botch said:
    Audiophile here too.
    #-o

Does that go for all of the Beats models? I have a pair of Beats studio and I love them. I'm no audiophile however....
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    cazzy said:

Botch said:

Audiophile here too.

#-o
    Yeah...I'd love to own a pair of Oppo PM-1s, but it's hard for me to commit that type of coin for headphones.
    I have the oppo blue ray players- had the original too. Far areas of others on the market. Too bad everyone knows about them now because the price has gone up correspondingly.
    Greensboro, NC
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    edited August 2014
    Options
    It all depends on what you will be listening to.

I have the Bose Noise Cancelling over-the-ear headphones and do not really care for them other than for use when I am cutting grass. They sound somewhat muffled. 

My go to headphones for Home Theater and serious music listening is Sennheiser HD 650 with a tube headphone amplifier (Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 D/A Converter).

"You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    hapster said:

Okay... I guess it's between the Quiet Comfort 15's at $269 or the Quiet Comfort 3's at $315...

Thanks guys

That's a lot of money for headphones. I can't justify that unless I was listening to a lot of music. I like my $60 LG Bluetooth headphones I have had for 7 years. The knock out the sound of my riding lawn mower and I can hear the music. If you do a lot of flying I could see it. My better half would not like me spending that much on headphones. Is there a place you can go to test them out before you buy. That make your decision easier.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited August 2014
    Options
    hapster said:

Thanks guys
    As you say you aren't an audiophile, then you might want to consider which headset feels the best on your ears, and maybe which headset seems to stay put better when moving your head quickly (do they fall off when you cough or sneeze, or tune around quickly).  Of course these two factors may be contradictory, but still something you may want to consider.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• hapster
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    hapster said:

Thanks guys
    As you say you aren't an audiophile, then you might want to consider which headset feels the best on your ears, and maybe which headset seems to stay put better when moving your head quickly (do they fall off when you cough or sneeze, or tune around quickly).  Of course these two factors may be contradictory, but still something you may want to consider.
    Ended up trying everything in my local Best Buy for over an hour... Kept coming back to the Beats Studio for comfort, sound, etc... So I got them. Charging them now.
  • cazzy
    Options
    hapster said:
    Zmokin said:
    hapster said:

Thanks guys
    Ended up trying everything in my local Best Buy for over an hour... Kept coming back to the Beats Studio for comfort, sound, etc... So I got them. Charging them now.
    I had the exact same ones for about 2 weeks.  I just didn't think wireless headphones were for me...didn't like the battery life and loss connection randomly.  
  • hapster
    Options
    cazzy said:

hapster said:

Zmokin said:

hapster said:

Thanks guys

I had the exact same ones for about 2 weeks.  I just didn't think wireless headphones were for me...didn't like the battery life and loss connection randomly.  

I didn't get the wireless ones, the charging is for the NC. Didn't want any Bluetooth just for that issue
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    I have the new Bose QuietComfort 20i after using the QC15 for years. I like the fact that you can use your phone on the new 20i plus if you fly you can rest your head. Both are great.
    McKinney, TX
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Check out Sennheiser HD 280 pro. Good quality headphones for a reasonable price. I also like that the ear pads and cord are easily replaced.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    When working in my yard, I use ear buds and put my noise ear muffs on to drown out the leaf blower, lawn mower etc.  A couple of years ago I ripped my entire album collection onto mp3 and copied them to an ipod.  I've got a little over 4000 songs, mostly rock, some jazz, classical, country, fusion, spacey, etc thrown in as well as a few comedy albums.  On random play, I can go from Bach, to Pink Floyd, to Monty Python, to who knows what, but never anything that I don't like.
    I think if I was to listen 24/7 playing in order, it takes like close to 20 days before it would repeat.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    You'll like the beats just fine. Super comfy in my opinion. I have my sonos and I love it for when I'm hangin on the deck
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    @hapster..pics or it didn't happen..Now it will be a stick, drink and the Ear candy..
    :-c
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • hapster
    Options
    My wife snapped this earlier... No filters or edits of any kind.

• cazzy
    Options
    Are you implying that you're naturally more good looking than all of us?
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    I think the opposite - trying to infer that he MIGHT look better if there were filters and retouching used. :))
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Are you implying that you're naturally more good looking than all of us?

He can't hear you, he has his new headphones on.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• hapster
    Options