Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Samsung Galaxy 3 Tablet

Options
Ladeback69
Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
Does anyone else have one these pieces of crap? This my work tablet and try to use it at home, because my kid plays with my Nexus 10. My Samsung Galaxy S4 phone and the Nexus 10 blows this tablet away in performance. It locks up, takes for ever surf on the BGE forum. I have AT&T DSL and I can't wait to get my Google Fiber hooked up, should be soon. What have others experienced and what do you use to surf the forum? I'm not an Apple fan either.
XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Imac, two iphones, an iPad mini and an iPad Air. Zero issues with any of them and they are lightning fast.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    edited August 2014
    Options
    iPhone, iPad mini for work, iPad at home in conjunction my big old Mac Pro with dual 30 inch monitors . They have been flawless, fast, intuitive. I have 60 mbps cable at home connected to an 802.11ac Airport, so it's a lightning fast wireless network too. The Mac dual-boots, of course, so I can run Windows 8 if I have to, although about the only reason I do that these days is for online gaming. It's hard enough to find FPS games for desktop computers these days, let alone Macs. All the other important software is native to the Mac.
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Apple guy here, too. Can't help ya!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited August 2014
    Options
    May make for a good first-time caveman cook.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• khristyjeff
    Options
    All Apple.  Works well for me. 
  • lantzwr
    lantzwr Posts: 229
    Options
    Apple here too...
    RobLarge BGE, Merritt Island, (Space Coast of Florida)

Boiler UP
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Are you using Chrome browser?

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    texaswig said:
    Are you using Chrome browser?

Yes I'm using Chrome. I don't care for the iPhone because its to small for my hands and the iPads frustraight the hell out of me trying to figure them out. Same goes for their computers. I really like my Nexus 10.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Hate to say I'm also here - I switched from apple iPhone to samsung, needed larger screens for emails I do for work. I'm on my fourth S4 in a year. I'm fairly up to speed on processor tech, and an S3 is out of date. SW has moved ver quckly in the mobile/tablet arena, and the newest HW is needed to keep up. Much like the PC clone wars of the late 80's and early 90's - SWand HW were both evolving fast. I'm typing this on a galaxy s4 tab, I couldn't resist! on sale at costco for 289, got a bluetooth keyboard for 79, and a 32Gb sd card for 30. That beats an iPad air all day. Wife and kids still on apple/iphone/mac, easy tech support for me :)

Using chorome broswer...
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • texaswig
    Options
    I have a nexus 7 and note 3 phone. I prefer android stuff. My phone is rooted with Cyogenmod. I have sprint I rooted mainly for free hot spotting use Chrome with no problems. Maybe try a different browser. Dolphin gets good reviews.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Lol...I use Apple and Android but it will never get old seeing Apple people **** on Android and vice versa. If this was a Apple thread, all the happy Android peeps would have come out of the woodwork. This is a mild Apple vs Android thread so I hope it gets a lil nastier. :P

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Like @cazzy I use both Apple and Android mobile and tablets. Oh, and Windows, Mac, and Linux on desktop/laptop. FWIW Nexus devices have a better user experience than Galaxy IMHO. Layering TouchWiz on top of Android consumes extra system resources and creates lag. I know you mentioned the tablet is a work device, so this might not be an option. I would root it and install a ROM that is as close to Android without extras. As @texaswig mentioned CyanogenMod is a good choice if available for your device. I have given several older devices a new lease on life and new functionality with CM.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Lol...I use Apple and Android but it will never get old seeing Apple people **** on Android and vice versa. If this was a Apple thread, all the happy Android peeps would have come out of the woodwork. This is a mild Apple vs Android thread so I hope it gets a lil nastier. :P

This is kinda funny. @Ladeback69‌, you had to know you were gonna get all the iPeople's snide remarks when you finished your post with "I'm not an Apple fan either". C'mon what were you thinking?

Seriously, I hope your technological frustration gets resolved. Sounds like there's some people on the forum that know a little about this stuff that can help you out.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • travisstrick
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I didnt read any comparisons, just folks experiances with their apple devices. Cazzy is a troll playing a long con. He only learned to bbq so he could troll the forum. Dont listen to him. :ar!
  • cazzy
    Options

I didnt read any comparisons, just folks experiances with their apple devices. Cazzy is a troll playing a long con. He only learned to bbq so he could troll the forum. Dont listen to him. :ar!

Took almost 3 years for someone to figure it out. You win the internet today Travis!!
  • cazzy
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I will add some fuel to this fire. After a year of using Android for my personal device, I'm considering going back to the iPhone.

While I enjoy the flexibility of Android and the way it satisfies my geek, I think the iPhone has much more stability. The iPhone 6 with its rumored bigger option might bring me back.

If I pull the trigger, I'll swap my company iPhone for a Nexus 7. Lol
  • Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Having used both I have to agree IOS is much more stable.  Not to mention that Apple will update IOS on its devices for 3-4 years.  Samsung will update Android once or twice if your lucky.
    cazzy said:
    I will add some fuel to this fire. After a year of using Android for my personal device, I'm considering going back to the iPhone. While I enjoy the flexibility of Android and the way it satisfies my geek, I think the iPhone has much more stability. The iPhone 6 with its rumored bigger option might bring me back. If I pull the trigger, I'll swap my company iPhone for a Nexus 7. Lol

• travisstrick
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Took almost 3 years for someone to figure it out. You win the internet today Travis!!

I knew it!
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    This has been interesting reading what people like and think. I'm not an Apple fun, because I can't always figure out how it works and Android works better for me. My wife likes it and is happy with it. Some people like App!e and some like Android. I have used both, but prefer Android. The main reason for the post was about the Galaxy 3 Tablet I have for work which isn't even a year old, but my Nexus 10 is over 2 years old and faster. The Galaxy 3 uses a dual core processor and the Nexus 10 used a quad core with more ram. I tired to tell my company that it would under preform for what we need it for and now they are looking into switching to iPads. Which would be better for our field work. I work on the Google Fiber project in Kansas City tracking crews progress for Google. That's is after I recover from hip replacement surgery. We have an App to do our reports and take photos. The Galaxy 3 tablets have different operating systems so our tech support has had a hard time keeping up with that. That is the one thing I like about Apple, they just update it and it is usually forward and backwoods compatible. When I get Google Fiber at home I get a free New Nexus 7 tablet so my kid will have his own tablet and I get my 10 back, which is what I am using now to write this. I mostly like my Samsung Galaxy S5, but miss my unlimited data, because I switched from Sprint to Verizon for better service and coverage. The coverage is better, but it uses more data on Verizon than on Sprint it seems like to me. I mostly use my phone in WiFi to save data.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • JenniferEgger
    Options
    Reading this on a Tab 3 right now... lol.  I like it, but I prefer reading the forum on Hubby's Ipad.  That said, I prefer my MotoX over the Iphone. 

LGE in da house.

Bucks County,  PA

• msfgroup
    msfgroup Posts: 21
    Options
    We have an office full of Galaxy 3 tablets without any issues.  when you get rid of the DSL you problems will go away.  I have two individuals 3 counting me on the road all the time with 4G Verizon Hot Spot modems and have conference calls they never lock up I am betting its your ISP

Just my 2 cents

• TNegg
    TNegg Posts: 89
    Options
    Does anyone know any thing about the new galaxy nook e-reader? (sorry if this is off topic) My nook just broke!
  • cazzy
    Options
    msfgroup said:

We have an office full of Galaxy 3 tablets without any issues.  when you get rid of the DSL you problems will go away.  I have two individuals 3 counting me on the road all the time with 4G Verizon Hot Spot modems and have conference calls they never lock up I am betting its your ISP

Just my 2 cents

I respectfully disagree. While ISP is a factor, some of the problems I'm experiencing with Android are clearly System Resource issues. Clearing RAM will typically speed things up and eliminate the keyboard lag. I have the same exact issue on LTE, my 50 MBPS home network or my private wireless network at my hospital.

I really want to try out the Nexus. I've heard good things. The biggest problem with Android is it's coded, then put on a slew of different manufacturer devices. While this is a great way to get exposure for your operating system, the user experience is different across the board and you'll understandably run into stability issues. Since Google makes Nexus, I'm not surprised to hear how great it runs.
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    My kid will lock up my Nexus 10 once again n a while, because he gets to many things going at one time, but when I had an iPad it did the same thing. I have AT&T for internet and at times it is slow. My Verizon Jetpack at 72 Mbps blows it away at times. I have Dish Network for TV and I like it except you can't record 6 channels at one one time and watch a show live. When it is recording 3 shows you can't watch a live show. With Google you can record 8 shows and watch one live.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Agreed. It's like watching people arguing Primo vs BGE.
  • texaswig
    Options
    I love my note 3 phone. People give me s*** all the time about how big it is. I don't see how Samsung is going to top it next month with the note 4.but if they do I have a upgrade ready and waiting. I like stock android. I don't want other front-end" touchwiz" or other crap cluttering up my phone. So as soon as a stable ROM is available I always root them. Then I make it however I want.

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • texaswig
    Options

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • cazzy
    Options
    I thought this was pretty cool.  I set-up a Android VM so I could play Clash of Clans on my Mac.  Runs okay...not quite as stable as I'd like but it's cool to play around with.  

Here is the tutorial I followed: