Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Late night meal

Options
stemc33
stemc33 Posts: 3,567
edited August 2014 in EggHead Forum
After having BLT's for lunch at about 5:30 tonight, I left the egg burning and decided to do some short ribs. I definitely should of done some research on the forum before attempting this cook. First, I cooked the bacon for the BLT's at about 375° and when I finished the egg was over 400°. It took awhile for the temp to get down below 300°. I finally got the ribs on at about 7:30. Cooked them for about 2.5 hours at about 280°. Foiled and raised temp to 325° and cooked for about an hour. Two were covered with @Mickey‌ coffee rub and the other two with S&P and garlic. The two with Mickey's rub were covered with honey when they were foiled. The S&P ones were covered in teriyaki sauce when foil was removed. Finished for another half hour uncovered.

There was plenty of fat not rendered off. The meat had to be cut and would not pull off the bone easily. But, with that being said, the meat was actually tender to chew and tasted good. I guess a better term to describe the texture would be to say it wasn't difficult to chew. I liked the one with Mickeys rub and my wife preferred the teriyaki flavor.

Not a fail, but not a win. Feed back and suggestions are welcome.

Steven
Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
two cotton pot holders to handle PS
Banner, Wyoming

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    My guess would be undercooked. It takes some time for these to get happy. If done right, you should easily be able to pull meat off the bone with your fingers. It's like brisket point on a stick.

How did they probe or feel?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    The final plating pic is a winner..I am sure you will get lots of help and suggestions coming..I did Beef back ribs yesterday and the method I used was a winner..3 hours at 250 with oak for smoke, just S+P.Then foiled with a few dabs of butter, worcestershire sauce a little beef broth, dizzy's cows lick, Stubbs steak spice, Aleppo pepper. Back on for a further 2 hours and the left to stand for 30 min..They were well smoked and rendered and just pull off the bone. I posted the cook yesterday.Have a great Sunday.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    cazzy said:
    My guess would be undercooked. It takes some time for these to get happy. If done right, you should easily be able to pull meat off the bone with your fingers. It's like brisket point on a stick. How did they probe or feel?

This is gonna sound idiotic, at least it does to me now that I look back on it, but they didn't feel done. It was late(not for me, but my wife) and I was just hoping they were done. They looked good when I checked on 'em. The good thing is that it wasn't like pork that's not ready. They were very edible, just not right. Oh well, live and learn.

Lesson learned. Nothing comes from hoping, just doing. Next time I won't hope, just finish the cook the right way.

Thanks for the input.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Yep, just let them roll until they are completely tender. Foiling/Braising can help speed things up, but also will sacrifice bark. For the single ribs that are already cut, if they are small, I think the bark can almost be too much compared to the amount of meat. So I like to add a braise step for those.

For a whole slab, just keep cooking until they probe like butter.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    stemc33 said:

cazzy said:

My guess would be undercooked. It takes some time for these to get happy. If done right, you should easily be able to pull meat off the bone with your fingers. It's like brisket point on a stick.

How did they probe or feel?

This is gonna sound idiotic, at least it does to me now that I look back on it, but they didn't feel done. It was late(not for me, but my wife) and I was just hoping they were done. They looked good when I checked on 'em. The good thing is that it wasn't like pork that's not ready. They were very edible, just not right. Oh well, live and learn.

Lesson learned. Nothing comes from hoping, just doing. Next time I won't hope, just finish the cook the right way.

Thanks for the input.

As long as you learn something from every cook, then it was a successful cook! :)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....