Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any Help Will…Help, lol! (Pic Heavy)

Options
So aside from painting it on, why do I have no smoke ring?  Am I poorly informed?  Do I have too high of an expectation? Do other people have some way of cheating?  I know you can use tender quick, but is that the only way?  I will detail step by step, tell me where I went wrong.

I put together a rub, real simple, nothing special.  Typical pork rub ingredients.

Bought a bone in butt fro my local butcher.  Rinsed it, patted dry. I Made some mustard out of dark and yellow seeds, beer and AC vinegar.  I lightly coated it with the mustard.  Then I applied the rub.

It had great color before it went on.  Put it on at midnight @ 225F with a water pan and green (fresh not dry) applewood.

I only used the wood when I was ready to put the shoulder in. 

I also closed the daisy wheel down pretty tight for the start of the cook to keep a good fog in the egg.

At 150F internal temp, I foiled it.  This is a pic of it when I pulled it to wrap.

And then @195F I took it out of the foil to crisp up the bark.

The meat was moist, it had a great flavor, the bone pulled out clean, but the smoke ring was very slight.

Now I have also heard that freezing yo meat will give it more time to form the smoke ring, and I will try that next, but if anyone has and advice, I am willing.

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Doubt the freshness of the wood had anything to do with it, most say it has more to do with relative humidity.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Some say the smoke ring is overrated. If the flavor is what you wanted, is the ring that important? For some reason the egg does not generate much of a ring.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    IMHO I think smoke ring is only for show.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    It really isn't important, I just don't get how I can't get one, especially when I tried to.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options

It really isn't important, I just don't get how I can't get one, especially when I tried to.

It's about being happy with the results you have vs the results you expected.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I was fairly certain relative humidity was the primary factor. But you are in NJ if I remember correctly, and that should be similar to PA. I got a decent smoke ring on my ribs today. :-? No idea...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Shh, if anyone asks, you had such a large smoke ring it spanned the entire piece meat. Boom!
    Dunedin, FL
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    @DMW you are correct on location, what is the relationship to the humidity?  Should I not have used the water pan?
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I think it was CenTex that said you can add a few briquettes to your lump to enhance the smoke right. It has something to do with the binders that hold the dust together. My one and only major smoke ring was on a flat that I cooked in the rain the entire cook so @dmw suggestion on humidity sounds correct.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • DMW
    Options

@DMW you are correct on location, what is the relationship to the humidity?  Should I not have used the water pan?

My theory was higher humidity=better smoke ring. We have relatively high humidity in the summer months. Water pan should have only helped.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    GalanteNate_OneEa Posts: 967
    edited August 2014
    Options
    ok, well maybe next time I will sprits as well

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    That meat looks great to me. I made a butt for my co-workers a couple weeks ago. They loved it and none of them wondered where the smoke ring was...
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    If I tried to kick myself in the junk and failed, Id be pissed, lol, thats pretty much it, I thought with everything I did that there would be one, and there wasn't. 
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options

If I tried to kick myself in the junk and failed, Id be pissed, lol, thats pretty much it, I thought with everything I did that there would be one, and there wasn't. 

:))

Now you get it
    :)
  • Sixpack1
    Sixpack1 Posts: 189
    Options
    With 100% humidity in Fla. I should have a smoke ring on everything that goes in my BGE, pizza, pancakes, briskets ect...
    The Gator Nation, Central Florida
    LARGE & MINI  Life is good...
    GO GATORS!!!

• DMW
    Options
    What temp do you cook at? I tend to start really low (today ran at 215* grid for a few hours) and then ramp up a bit every few hours to meet my desired finish time. I wonder if that might have something to do with it? 

Meathead just published a new study on smoke rings recently.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    started at 0:20 @200F, 0800 235F, 1030 250F, cooked until 1830 199F internal 
  • DMW
    Options
    started at 0:20 @200F, 0800 235F, 1030 250F, cooked until 1830 199F internal 
    OK, I'm back to I have no idea how to be sure to have a smoke ring. They happen when they want to...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    lol, I thought for sure I had it…
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Cosmetics: some women need them, tasty food doesn't.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Cook it for taste, not smoke ring.  If you want a smoke ring, you get an excellent ring by adding a little curing powder to your rub.  It does not change the flavor over a natural smoke ring.  You can also buy some celery powder or replace the salt with celery salt, it has a high concentration of nitrates, which is what is in the curing powder and smoke and causes the myoglobin to stay red.

You can also buy some celery powder or replace the salt with celery salt, it has a high concentration of nitrates, which is what is in the curing powder and smoke and causes the myoglobin to stay red.

That explains it. I've never had any trouble with a smoke ring and I put a touch of celery salt in almost everything I cook with a home maid rub. I was truly baffled about all of the smoke ring posts... That'd explain it.
  • finster
    finster Posts: 136
    Options
    Nola and DMW have it right. Celery salt has the natural nitrates. Moisture helps too, spritzing with AJ or wrapped in bacon creates great rings.
    MBGE in Charleston

• GalanteNate_OneEa
    edited August 2014
    Options

Cook it for taste, not smoke ring.  If you want a smoke ring, you get an excellent ring by adding a little curing powder to your rub.  It does not change the flavor over a natural smoke ring.  You can also buy some celery powder or replace the salt with celery salt, it has a high concentration of nitrates, which is what is in the curing powder and smoke and causes the myoglobin to stay red.

Lol, well that definately explains a lot. The rub I make is, and always has been, an ongoing work in progress. I have read the labels of Many comercial rubs, popular and trendy ones from this forum, and just Friday, when I made this last rub, I read the label of one I have been liking. It was simple and sweet, and it contained celery salt. Just like all the others. And I specifically remember asking myself, what's with the celery salt? Well thank you very much for this insight. I don't think I'll be changing my rub for a smoke ring, not for pork shoulder anyway. This helped a lot. And I am happy that I can move on without worry, lol. Thanks again, @everyone!
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Looks like a beautiful result to me.

NoLo, by curing rub, do you mean pink salt.?

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• GalanteNate_OneEa
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I assumed tender quick, but I may be wrong.

But yeah, Pink Curing Salt is a combination of salt and sodium nitrate. So that should work.

And I now know they are one in the same, lol

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,475
    Options

:D

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    Botch said:

:D
    Hey... thats the same way I get my smoke ring!!!  =))
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR