Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any Help Will…Help, lol! (Pic Heavy)

So aside from painting it on, why do I have no smoke ring?  Am I poorly informed?  Do I have too high of an expectation? Do other people have some way of cheating?  I know you can use tender quick, but is that the only way?  I will detail step by step, tell me where I went wrong.

I put together a rub, real simple, nothing special.  Typical pork rub ingredients.

Bought a bone in butt fro my local butcher.  Rinsed it, patted dry. I Made some mustard out of dark and yellow seeds, beer and AC vinegar.  I lightly coated it with the mustard.  Then I applied the rub.

It had great color before it went on.  Put it on at midnight @ 225F with a water pan and green (fresh not dry) applewood.

I only used the wood when I was ready to put the shoulder in. 

I also closed the daisy wheel down pretty tight for the start of the cook to keep a good fog in the egg.

At 150F internal temp, I foiled it.  This is a pic of it when I pulled it to wrap.

And then @195F I took it out of the foil to crisp up the bark.

The meat was moist, it had a great flavor, the bone pulled out clean, but the smoke ring was very slight.

Now I have also heard that freezing yo meat will give it more time to form the smoke ring, and I will try that next, but if anyone has and advice, I am willing.

Comments