Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SWMBO did it again! (wagyu)

Options
2»

Comments

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    @travisstrick > said "isnt there a hall monitor forum you should get back to?"
    LOL!! Okay you got me.
    I was just being silly/stupid. I confess I had to look up what the heck "sous vide" was. I only knew it had something to do with cooking in a hot water bath.

@paqman , I sure hope you didn't take offense. You are one of my favorite posters on this forum. I've learned a lot from your post. This one included.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options

Gotchya.  You had to run a higher temp to make it get to the target temp faster, at the expense of a little MR gradient.

That's it

Options
    OMG   When will my Costco get these?  Those look delicious!
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Great cook, and post. The whole sous vide thing is really intriguing.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    @paqman‌ I hear you on that. I used to load up on A-1 back in the day. This things look fantastic and I wish I could get them round here.
    Dunedin, FL
  • paqman
    Options
    TigerTony said:

@travisstrick > said "isnt there a hall monitor forum you should get back to?"

LOL!! Okay you got me.
    I was just being silly/stupid. I confess I had to look up what the heck "sous vide" was. I only knew it had something to do with cooking in a hot water bath.

@paqman , I sure hope you didn't take offense. You are one of my favorite posters on this forum. I've learned a lot from your post. This one included.
    We are good.

Options
    Describe the taste. I know a picture is worth a thousand words, but sometimes words complete the picture. Did it melt in your mouth like all the things I read about report? These are on my bucket list. I just want to make sure I can cook it without screwing one up.

Excellent looking steak.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • paqman
    Options
    stemc33 said:

Describe the taste. I know a picture is worth a thousand words, but sometimes words complete the picture. Did it melt in your mouth like all the things I read about report? These are on my bucket list. I just want to make sure I can cook it without screwing one up.

Excellent looking steak.

@stemc33‌ - It is hard to mess up a steak cooked sous vide. The rib eye was perfect and it is night and day when compared to a regular rib eye. Strip loin when cooked sous vide becomes so tender, I did not notice a big difference between wagyiu and an average steak. Don't take mw wrong, it was amazing but the sous vide did most of the work. I'll grill the one I have left on the egg later this week and I'll report back.

Options
    @stemc33‌ - I cooked the last strip loin on the egg for lunch. It was the 2nd best steak I ever had (the best being the wagyu rib eye I grilled on the egg last week). Sous vide did not do it justice. However, on the egg... out of this world. It does melt in your mouth and the taste is incredible! I highly recommend it if you can get your hands on one. I have one rib eye left and I will grill it on the egg.

edited August 2014
    Options
    Wagyu strip loin.

600F direct, flipped every minutes 3 times + 2 minutes on the ends to render the fat on the strip. Total of 6 minutes on the egg + 5 minutes rest in a hot plate.

Seasoned at the end of the cook with a Montreal style spice mix.

Options
    More picsimage

edited August 2014
    Options
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Looks awesome @paqman‌. Thanks for the update. One of these days I'll try one.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming