Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frontier charcoal

Options
Hello fellow eggers!! This is my first post on the forum. I want thank you all for the awesome recipes and cooks you all have posted. I have LBGE that I bought for myself on Father's Day 2013. I went to BJs this morning and grabbed 6 racks of baby backs to do tonight and also picked up a bag of frontier since I did not have enough BGE lump for the cook. I have never used anything but BGE lump and now that I have the ribs on I decided to look up some of the reviews and omg I am scared to death this is going to ruin my ribs now. I hope not but we will see. I decided to do 3 racks at a time using the turbo method since I had time to kill this afternoon!!!
LBGE, Mechanicsville, Va., LBGE, Duck, NC, XLBGE Wake, Va.

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Welcome. One word "Firecraft".
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    @Gman2 ... the worst that could happen is the lump will 'snap, crackle & pop' ... or maybe it'll be the best lump you've ever used. Myself, i wouldn't dwell too much on it. Just enjoy your cook, post lotsa pictures!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited August 2014
    Options
    The 2 bags I had tried from Sams Club had decent sized pieces, was somewhat smokey and acrid. When lighting I found it popped a lot. And throughout the cook when I seared steaks or made pizza it continued to pop etc. Not a fan. Seriously check out Firecraft (RW or OO---- you'll be happy ya did). Good luck on the ribs. Remember pics or it didn't happen ;)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Gman2
    Gman2 Posts: 421
    Options
    Not sure how to post picture from this iPad
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Since you have been riding the BGE lump rodeo for more than a year, you need to get out more, as suggested above.  That said, Frontier will be different in cook/burn characteristics than you are comfortable with but at the end of the day it's all lump charcoal.  About the only way a new lump can take a cook "south" is with the level of smoke it imparts during the cook.  So I would do the "smells good, is good" test regardless of how long it takes to get there.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    I too have been using BGE brand until now, Lowe's had Frontier for $9 a bag so I picked one up to try.  Haven't opened it yet, will be interested in your comments.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    Options
    I've used it before, works fine.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Might just be smokier and a little more acrid bitter tasting. I got a bag to take to NC with me this past summer to use in a horizontal offset, since I didn't have any lump from last year at the house.

It worked fine, was just pretty smokey and bitter tasting, so it overpowered or equaled what I used to smoke it ( hickory ).

You'll be fine, try it out, maybe you like it. I use RW, but only after going through a bunch of different brands, including WGWW, which I liked as well.

Don't worry about it, it'll cook your food just fine.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Most of the bags start off pretty decent.  The problem is the bottom 25-30% of the bag.  There is lots of dust and lots of small pieces at the bottom of the bag that drove me nuts.  On a couple of occasions I threw out the bottoms of bags because of the aggravation.  I have used BGE more often than not but with all the good words bei9ng spread about for RW and OO I will give them a try.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I have used frontier lump. Only complaint was size of pieces in some bags. Don't worry, you'll be fine
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    Check your bag to see if it's "made in USA". That's what I have used in the past and I liked it more than Royal Oak and BGE brand.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    I haven't used their lump, I'm now hooked on OO, but their tumbleweed firestarters work damn good . $10 for a box of 32 at BJ's.
  • Gman2
    Gman2 Posts: 421
    Options
    Thanks for all the feed back guys! The ribs turned out great but I do think with this lumb that you need it to burn in for a little bit longer!!'