Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Band Question

Hoping this is covered under warranty. Loosened band as it tends to ride up and then leak lots of smoke. When done tightening the uller band looked like thisimageimageimageimage

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

Comments

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    I hate the bands on the egg.The slip at high temp and I can never get them as they should.Do the other brands have similar issues?
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • @CANMAN1976‌ the bottom band is good to go

NW IA

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    My flanges are much closer together.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Your bands look like they have some miles or abuse on them. How old are they? If it was me I would remove them and then re-bend the mating ends so they are 90 degrees flush, before installing new bolts and nuts. Not sure if I'm explaining this well, but the mating ends are out of whack and that causes the shifting you describe. As for warranty, I kinda doubt it, but new bands aren't that expensive either.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • @RRP‌ - Bands are original from an egg fest back in 2007. I cometely get what your saying. Will give it a go once I find new bolts. Not sure of heat leaking out the side would have caused the metal of the bands to weaken or not but well see what happens

NW IA

• I'd sure like to know what size and type bolts you find/use as a replacement. I've had to adjust my bands once already (my egg was a 2013 Xmas present) as the dome came out of alignment and was not making a complete seal at the hinge. I couldn't get the original plastic "hinge keepers" to fit when the dome was closed so I had to use heavy duty zip ties. Any how, my bolts are looking pretty beat up and bent but I still need to re adjust my dome once more and don't want to do so until I can replace them.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I saw "band question" and thought it was gonna be music trivia. Dagumnit :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • A most interesting thing...I bookmarked a description and the source for BGE bolts and both of the links now lead back to the overall page for this forum.  Wonder who decided that that type of information should not be available to BGE owners?
    Morro Bay, CA
  • @Grillnugget‌ They are grade 5 carriage bolts 5/16" X 2"

NW IA